Wiki Posts
Search

Paris Pass - is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Paris Pass - is it worth it?

For my upcoming honeymoon trip we are spending 5 days at Paris and we are considering getting a 4 day Paris pass for sightseeing throughout the city. I have read all there is about the Paris pass and it looks like the best option for our itinerary, however I feel the need to come and ask here for opinions.

For the people that have bought it or heard experiences, I appreciate your feedback.

This are some of landmarks and attractions we plan to visit during the four days, where we think that the Paris Pass will be useful:

Rodin Museum
Hotel des Invalides
Arc de Triomphe
Eiffel Tower
Louvre Museum
National Opera
Grevin Wax Museum
Montparnasse Tower
Pantheon
Cluny Museum
Holy Chapel
Orsay Museum
Dali Museum
Pompidou Center
Notre Dame
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:15 pm

Used it in September. I would highly recommend it! Very good value.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by prmetime
Used it in September. I would highly recommend it! Very good value.
What sites did you visit where you were able to use the pass?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
What sites did you visit where you were able to use the pass?
The metro pass alone is extremely valuable to get around Paris. Specifically we bought the 5 day pass and saw:

Notre Dame
Louvre
Orsay Museum
Versailles
Pantheon
Rodin Museum
Orangerie
Ste Chappelle

May have been others but cannot remember off-hand. I have used the London Pass as well and found it to be useful, but many London museums are free. I hope this is helpful.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Smile

We used the museum pass extensively during our August trip. We saved a lot of time by not having to wait in line to buy a ticket for each attraction. We used it at Notre Dame, Dorsay, Lourve, Invalides, St Chapelle, Versailles and Arc de Triomphe.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:46 pm

Terminology: There are (at least) two passes for Paris tourists. The Paris Museum Pass affords admission to a broad array of museums, monuments and other tourist sites. It costs 39€ for two days (adult).

The Paris Pass includes a Paris Museum Pass, a transportation pass and other benefits and costs 110€ for 2 days.

Obviously there is a huge price difference. I suggest those considering Paris passes study the two passes and prepare a realistic outline of what you'll do when during your stay. Many people overwhelm themselves by trying to cram too many activities into too short a time. The Rick Steves Paris Guide is a good tool to help in this effort.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:34 pm

I added prices. There's a message on the paris pass site that prices are going up in Feb, but that could just be a sales gimmick.

Originally Posted by prmetime
Specifically we bought the 5 day pass and saw:

Notre Dame €8.50
Louvre €11 + line skip
Orsay Museum €9 + line skip
Versailles €18
Pantheon €8.50
Rodin Museum €4
Orangerie €10
Ste Chappelle €8.50

Paris Visite €34.70

Total value: €112.20
Cost of pass: €160 (4 day pass)
Originally Posted by andrewstahl
Notre Dame €8.50
Dorsay €9 + line skip
Lourve €11 + line skip
Invalides <not listed>
St Chapelle €8.50
Versailles €18
Arc de Triomphe €9.50

Paris Visite €17.65 (2 day)

Total value: €82.15 + Invalides
The value of the line skip can't really be discounted too, esp. if you're going at a busy time of year. Though I don't know how long the line skip lines end up getting, with so many tourists having the same card.

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Obviously there is a huge price difference. I suggest those considering Paris passes study the two passes and prepare a realistic outline of what you'll do when during your stay. Many people overwhelm themselves by trying to cram too many activities into too short a time. The Rick Steves Paris Guide is a good tool to help in this effort.
So many great tips in this post ^ Lots of amazing things to see, but you will only have bad memories if you try to rush through too much.

Many libraries have the Rick Steves book, so you can go take a look at it and see if you like it. 2014 edition of the Paris book is available now. You can also try looking for a severely discounted 2013 version. http://www.ricksteves.com/books/update/bk-rs-par.htm

In my experience, Versailles requires most of a day. I think I may have visited ADT after returning from that, but don't know how many other things you could realistically squeeze into the same day.

Pay close attention to the times/days the attractions are open. For example, the Louvre is closed on Tuesday, but open late on Wed & Fri night.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

get the museum pass, and do not take stuff to require the check in room. some of those lines are very long.

also, if you have a pass, ask if there is a way in using your pass.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Gold,Hilton Gold, Southwest Companion Pass
We were in Paris for the first time last June. I felt the Paris Pass with the transportation was extremely useful and will most likely purchase it again on our next trip back in May. We skipped a HUUUGE line at the Louvre too!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The Museum Pass is great. Not only for the pricing, but for the ability to skip long lines at many of the post popular places. Tip: buy your pass at any of the smaller museums that are convenient for you, the line for purchase at larger places can be long.

With the pass in hand, I disagree with the person who said "don't try to do too much" as a given. We found that the pass was especially great for popping into smaller places that were on our route anyway. Many of them weren't worth the price of admission on their own, but provided a pleasant 20-30 minute walk through to see a collection we would never have otherwise taken the time to see.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Thank you all for the comments, we went ahead and bought a 4 day pass @ €160 each with a €20 discount for a new year sale they were doing. I will update here my experiences and also see if indeed we saved any money by purchasing the pass.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Been going to Paris annually now for the last 5 years. I have always bought the museum pass and the transportation pass separately.

Museum pass for 4 days is €56 (or €69 for 6 days)
http://en.parismuseumpass.com/rub-the-pass-price-36.htm

Paris Transportation Pass for 5 days is €34 for zone 1-3
http://booking.parisinfo.com/z6200e2...transport.aspx

I love going in and out of museums if only to use the restroom or take a break from walking the streets of Paris. :-)
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by BlindPilot
Been going to Paris annually now for the last 5 years. I have always bought the museum pass and the transportation pass separately.
Interesting to hear that you still feel you get value out of the museum pass, even after 5 years of trips!

As far as the Paris Visite pass, by my math, a person would have to take 25 trips on the Metro in 5 days to "break even" (and that's assuming you don't pay to have it shipped to you, in which case it would take even more trips). There are a few additional discounts offered by the pass, but many wouldn't matter if you also had the museum pass. Is there some other benefit from getting this pass?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Interesting to hear that you still feel you get value out of the museum pass, even after 5 years of trips!

As far as the Paris Visite pass, by my math, a person would have to take 25 trips on the Metro in 5 days to "break even" (and that's assuming you don't pay to have it shipped to you, in which case it would take even more trips). There are a few additional discounts offered by the pass, but many wouldn't matter if you also had the museum pass. Is there some other benefit from getting this pass?
It seems a five day pass is around 35€, which amounts to 20 individual ride tickets at 1.70 €. If you use the buses, which more people should, you can burn through a lot of individual tickets.

The savings aren't huge but I think someone getting benefit fom the Musuem Pass would do enough running around to also benefit fom some form of transportation pass too.

Again, the key is to plan ahead.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:10 pm

If you get the carnet, the tickets are only 1.37 each. That's where the 25 number comes from.

If the travel pass was available with reasonable shipping, or worked for transportation from the airport, I can see how it would be convenient to get in advance. But neither is true. So that's why I'm wondering if there are other advantages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.