Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Paris in Christmas during 12/26 - 12/31 - How is it?

Paris in Christmas during 12/26 - 12/31 - How is it?

Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
What do you mean by better? Cheaper hotel prices? We were in Paris this last Xmas through the New Year and prices weren't bad, however the terrorist attacks might have had something to do with that. In any case the city was packed and traffic was heavy between Xmas and NYE even driving out to the exterior of the city. The weather was great this time and we weren't cold at all dancing on the Champs-Élysées at midnight.

If you mean better in terms of ambiance, it is best to go during the holidays rather than before or after. However if you go before at least there will be a lot of shopping going on. And if you are looking for good deals at the shops, about 10 days or so into the new year is when they start the big sales.
Well by better I mean fewer tourists
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Well by better I mean fewer tourists
Then that would be January 2-6 roughly. This year the sales started the 6th and shoppers arrived from all over the world.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:05 am
Suspended

Then that would be January 2-6 roughly. This year the sales started the 6th and shoppers arrived from all over the world.
Got it, ty!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:06 pm

Bumping this... I understand most, if not all, fashion boutiques will be closed on Cmas day, but will be open on Monday the 26th? Is that correct? In general, would the shops along St. Honore / 1st open around 10am on Monday?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by polandspringuy
Bumping this... I understand most, if not all, fashion boutiques will be closed on Cmas day, but will be open on Monday the 26th? Is that correct? In general, would the shops along St. Honore / 1st open around 10am on Monday?
I doubt that most would be open. You'd have a better chance on Tuesday. But maybe it depends if the number of tourists picks back up again by December.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:56 pm

I doubt that most would be open. You'd have a better chance on Tuesday. But maybe it depends if the number of tourists picks back up again by December.
Thanks for the info. Do you think I'd have better luck on Christmas eve?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Unlike in the USA, much of the rest of the world that celebrates Christmas also makes December 26th a holiday. I would expect most stores to close early on December 24th. One can see an even longer holiday period depending on the days of the week that are involved.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Unlike in the USA, much of the rest of the world that celebrates Christmas also makes December 26th a holiday.
Fortunately, or unfortunately, the rest of the world that is closed on the 26th does not include France.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by polandspringuy
Thanks for the info. Do you think I'd have better luck on Christmas eve?
Several years ago most shops closed at mid-day on the 24th. But I think nowadays many stay open til 6pm or so to serve last minute shoppers. YMMV. Tamino is right that that 26th is not a holiday in France. But anyone who has a job with flexibility might not be going to work that day. Especially as it is a Monday. In the part of France where I live most shops are never open on a Monday or at least not Monday morning.

I think we will head to Paris on the 27th to stay through to the new year. We did that last year and it was a lot of fun.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:56 pm

Late chiming in, but winter is my favorite time to visit Paris.

1) The city is fully decked out and at its most beautiful (depending on opinion) From roughly Dec 1 to Jan 3

2) Because it gets dark early you have a great chance to see the "city of light" fully illuminated

3) post Christmas sales
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Unlike in the USA, much of the rest of the world that celebrates Christmas also makes December 26th a holiday. I would expect most stores to close early on December 24th. One can see an even longer holiday period depending on the days of the week that are involved.
Stores and such will be open on the 26th in the US. But businesses will generally be closed in the US since a holiday that falls on a Sunday is generally observed on a Monday (much like when a holiday falls on a Saturday, it is generally observed on the Friday).

In contrast in France, if a holiday falls on a weekend, it is generally not observed on a week day. (But in France you do generally have a 'ponting' when the Friday is generally also taken when a holiday falls on a Thursday; also the Monday is generally also taken when a holiday falls on a Tuesday).
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bumping for any additional commentary around New Year's. Thinking of a long weekend trip over NYE, one of my potential travelmates said he heard too much stuff is closed. We'd probably be mostly going for museums, shopping, dining, some nightlife.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Bumping for any additional commentary around New Year's. Thinking of a long weekend trip over NYE, one of my potential travelmates said he heard too much stuff is closed. We'd probably be mostly going for museums, shopping, dining, some nightlife.
Shops, museums are closed on 01/01 but that’s all.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Shops, museums are closed on 01/01 but that’s all.
What about public transportation(RER, Metro) on Christmas Day?
Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life; ALL Platinum
All public transport will work with Sunday schedule on Xmas Day and 1 January; On the night from 31 december to 1 January the Transport system will work all night an light schedule on the most important line , it is also free usually to encourage people to take public transport instead of car ( and driving being drunk)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.