special event at Louvre ques.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:42 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
special event at Louvre ques.

A few years ago I visited the Louvre until closing time, and was exiting to go to the Metro (at the end of the concourse of shops). There was some special function (event) taking place, as people in formal dress were beginning to arrive (I would assume many were dignitaries), but I saw NO police--wouldn't they be there for security? [It is possible the police were hidden away.]
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
A few years ago I visited the Louvre until closing time, and was exiting to go to the Metro (at the end of the concourse of shops). There was some special function (event) taking place, as people in formal dress were beginning to arrive (I would assume many were dignitaries), but I saw NO police--wouldn't they be there for security? [It is possible the police were hidden away.]
i have been to hundreds of events at museums and such in the DC area. the only uniformed personel i have ever seen are the guards at the doors of the smithsonian complex events who fish through purses. they stick some kind of a wand in them. there are always museum staff present to safeguard every room, but those are frequently female students in standard dress. most attendees are major donors, or gratis employees from major donor or sponsoring companies.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:22 pm

Most likely the event you saw was at the Carousel du Louvre, which is the area with and near the shops, and includes a good size exhibition area. There are quite a few functions that return there each year-a major photography expo, an upscale wine event, etc.

Theess events are not in the actual museum that holds the world famous colection of art, and admission to one does not usually grant admission to the other.

One would assume that the Musee du Louvre (where the art is) is well protected. But this is France where theives walzed into the Paris Musee d'Art Moderne at 3 am a few years ago and walked off with a several hundred million dollars of art, so you never know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.