Remembering Normandy

Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Thumbs up Remembering Normandy

Evening Standard: Remembering Normandy

In honor of June 6th...

I visited Normandy in June 2006 and was in awe of things as I stood on Omaha Beach as well as visited other key sites.

Exactly 68 years ago this morning the liberation of Nazi-occupied Europe began under stormy skies with the D-Day landings on the exposed beaches of Normandy.

It is not one of the landmark anniversaries there will be far more fanfare in two years time yet for much of the summer the towns and villages of this often overlooked corner of France will be garlanded in Stars and Stripes, the Canadian Maple Leaf and the Union Flag. Round here, even a lifetime on, it still matters.

The memories, rekindled every June, means that on the Cotentin peninsula, where much of the ferocious Battle of Normandy was played out, British tourists are welcomed for more than just their spending power.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:21 am

I hope to make that visit one of these years.

Bobette
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
In the most dire times of our two countries, France and the USA have been friends. May we continue always to be such strong allies.

I'm proud that the USA was able to help liberate France from the tyranny, hatred and wickedness of the Nazi.

Remembering those brave individuals today.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:32 pm

The USA did not accomplish this alone; the British and Royal Canadian Army contributed a massive effort to the Normandy battle, not only the USA. The operation to liberate France would not have been possible without the British and Royal Canadian forces, so one must remember them as well...

Last edited by AjedrecstaBritnico; Jun 6, 2012 at 2:43 pm
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
That's exactly why I wrote 'help' to liberate. No doubt it was a joint effort. Whereas I believe most of those who died that day were from the USA, I salute all who braved those dangerous beaches; their individual bravery knew no country. But, I'm very proud, again, that the USA was able to help liberate France; all the way to Paris.

Originally Posted by AjedrecstaBritnico
The USA did not accomplish this alone; the British and Royal Canadian Army contributed a massive effort to the Normandy battle, not only the USA. The operation to liberate France would not have been possible without the British and Royal Canadian forces, so one must remember them as well...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I visited many of the D-Day sites in Normandy in 2010. Very powerful moment for me to walk through the American Cemetary and see all those crosses, with the contrast of the beautiful setting. The beaches look idyllic yet they definitely weren't that day in 1944.

If you haven't had the chance to go, I highly recommend it. The history is in parts saddening and in others awe inspiring while the area itself is gorgeous.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I went to Normandy nearly 2 years ago. It is an amazing place to visit and learn some of the history of D-Day. The museum at Caen is worth visiting too. They offer a guided tour of the beaches and the American Military Cemetary. It was about 5-6 hours long and well worth the 80 euros I remembered paying. It was very worthwhile learning each of the countries involved and their respective landing beaches. Anyone with an interest in history should make the effort to visit Normandy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.