Paris most expensive city for a Club Sandwich

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels

The Telegraph: Paris most expensive city for a Club Sandwich

Quite pricey for something seemingly simple!

The classic chicken, bacon, egg, lettuce and mayonnaise sandwich costs £20.43 in Paris, where prices range from £33.44 in a five-star hotel to £13.72 in a two-star hotel.

The second most expensive city was Geneva, where a sandwich costs £20.10 on average.

This compares with an average £11.55 sandwich in London, a £10.45 sandwich in New York and a £10.11 one in Moscow.
Old May 10, 2012, 3:06 am

Paris is obscenely expensive for most things. Including hotels
Old May 10, 2012, 3:30 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Of course, you can also get a 3 course set menu at lunch for EUR 15 in small restaurants, rather than have a sandwich in a hotel.
Old May 10, 2012, 4:43 am

Who would order a club sandwich in a hotel with all the wonderful bakeries and markets where you can compile a complete picnic/ things to snack on in the hotel room? And of course get superior meals outside of the hotel.

The worst thing about that list is those prices are in GBP! $32 for a club sandwich. Imagine the nice bottle of wine that buys! Oh well..
Old May 10, 2012, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
Who would order a club sandwich in a hotel with all the wonderful bakeries and markets where you can compile a complete picnic/ things to snack on in the hotel room?
I was coming here to ask something similar.
Old May 10, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
I have often found hotel food to be priced much more than "local food", and more according to the hotel price.

I am not surprised Paris comes on top of this survey.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by rwoman
Quite pricey for something seemingly simple!
That's what I say every time I look at the cost of a can of soda at a hotel. Then I walk across the street and pay up to 90% less.

These sorts of surveys mean little to me.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maītre-plongeur des Muccis
Who in their right mind would go to Paris (or anywhere with anything remotely resembling a gastronomic experience) and feel compelled to order a Club sandwich? And at a hotel, to boot? Talk about much ado about nothing!
Old May 10, 2012, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
As anything else, there are good and bad club sandwiches.

I like to sometime order a club sandwich at a hotel bar, when I do not want to get a traditional meal.
I love the club sandwiches at Le Meurice and Westminster hotels (and it is priced under EUR 25, which is more than ok).

It is paying a diet Coke more than 7 euros which seems completely mad to me.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by jaseuk
Paris is obscenely expensive for most things. Including hotels
I don't agree. It's a lot cheaper than London (even before Olympics) and Rome for hotels, and as far as food, sure-- there are expensive places. But there are also moderately priced places to get food as well. A huge variety of moderately priced excellent restaurants and bistros.

Hotel bars and restaurants will be notoriously overpriced, as overpriced as a mini-bar in your room!

Don't know about this "club sandwich", but the staple of this ilk in France, the Croque Monsieur, is usually between 6-10 Euro.

Last edited by menton1; May 13, 2012 at 8:59 am
Old May 13, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
Paris, before the arrival this decade of the 'Easyjet Set ' et al ,
was a veritable bargain at all levels ,luxury aside.

London ,on the other hand,has always been pricey .....though standards ,it has to be said,have risen quite dramatically.Paris sadly has gone a bit downhill....
Old May 13, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: KE MC
Originally Posted by menton1
I don't agree. It's a lot cheaper than London (even before Olympics) and Rome for hotels, and as far as food, sure-- there are expensive places. But there are also moderately priced places to get food as well. A huge variety of moderately priced excellent restaurants and bistros.
I disagree. I've found hotel prices to be far cheaper in Rome than in Paris. Food is about the same....

Hard to say about London, the value of the GBP has changed quite bit after 2008/2009.
Old May 15, 2012, 5:53 pm

Yes, London and Paris are equally pricey (especially when considering the $ exchange rates). I have no problem ordering a simple chicken sandwich in the bar of the Stafford Hotel in London or Le Meurie in Paris. Yes, it's pricey for what it is, but after being away from one's "normal" diet it's comforting to eat something simple.
Old May 15, 2012, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Ham, cheese and butter on a baguette beats any club sandwich anywhere.
Old May 15, 2012, 6:25 pm

OK, fair enough, those baguettes are wonderful, but I cannot eat one every day for lunch...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.