Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Scooter in paris question?

Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

I was contemplating renting a scooter and taking the wife around paris when we visit europe in about a month. I'm not too sure about the traffic conditions/ drivers there in the city so can anyone enlighten me on if this is a good idea?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasonz9238
I was contemplating renting a scooter and taking the wife around paris when we visit europe in about a month. I'm not too sure about the traffic conditions/ drivers there in the city so can anyone enlighten me on if this is a good idea?
can i buy insurance on you?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:46 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
I'm not too sure about the traffic conditions/ drivers there in the city so can anyone enlighten me on if this is a good idea?
Traffic is more organized than in Mexico, but unless you want to scare your wife, I'd not take her on a scooter. As long as you stay in Paris, Metro and buses are good and easy to use. If you leave the city, a rental car might be a more comfortable and safer option.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: More shiny with hotels than airlines.
so can anyone enlighten me on if this is a good idea?
It's a terrible idea...or do you want to divorce ?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Are you suicidal?

honestly, renting a scooter and driving in Paris is far more dangerous than the "Amelie" movie might suggest.
The tube is IMHO a lesser evil, but be prepared: it stinks, is crowded and is often late when not on strike.
Buses are OK but a pain in the a$$ during morning and afternoon rush hour. And avoid the "Noctilien" at all costs! Full of drunk people/chavs/pickpockets...

Full disclosure: I'm French, and I've lived 7 months in Paris
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:42 pm
iff

Are you an experienced scooter rider?
Are you used to riding in big city traffic with lots of maniac drivers who hate scooters and most other vehicles?
Are you familiar with international traffic signs and French traffic regulations?
Do you know your way around Paris streets? Lots of one-ways and bus/taxi only lanes... and how about roundabouts?
Do you have good health insurance and life insurance?

I've witnessed several car vs. scooter accidents in Paris and frankly, it isn't pretty.

The best time to do what you're proposing is during the month of August, when traffic is light. That said, if you really want to do it during your trip, just remember you'll need to be watching the traffic and not the sights, and Sunday is probably your best day to do it.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: SK*D; Accor & Starwood Plat
I would say that depends how experienced you are. Paris is full of scooters and car drivers are used to deal with them. As rightly pointed by the other posters, the traffic can be somewhat chaotic at certain time in the day and while not as bad as Rome, driving a scooter sometimes generate some adrenaline. But i'ts no question this is a convenient way to go around, but so is the metro ...
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:11 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I can only speak from a pedal-cyclist's point of view, but I find Paris compares well for two wheels to other cities of its size. Just make sure you understand the road priority rules, so you don't get shunted from the right.

If you're used to travelling on two wheels in a busy city, I think it should be fine - certainly cycling is good. Drivers tend to respect your space. You need to treat road lanes as a fairly fluid concept, but otherwise, it's a nice way to get around.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue
A two-wheels alternative to consider is the Velib'.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I would say it depends on how experienced you are with scooters, how familiar you are with Paris, and when you would like to visit Paris (in August, Paris is nearly empty).

Still, walking and biking are the best way to visit Paris.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by iff
Are you an experienced scooter rider?
Are you used to riding in big city traffic with lots of maniac drivers who hate scooters and most other vehicles?
Are you familiar with international traffic signs and French traffic regulations?
Do you know your way around Paris streets? Lots of one-ways and bus/taxi only lanes... and how about roundabouts?
Do you have good health insurance and life insurance?

I've witnessed several car vs. scooter accidents in Paris and frankly, it isn't pretty.

The best time to do what you're proposing is during the month of August, when traffic is light. That said, if you really want to do it during your trip, just remember you'll need to be watching the traffic and not the sights, and Sunday is probably your best day to do it.
Just managing the ronds points in the golden triangle will be hair-raising for someone who is not used to roundabouts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Paris is a wonderful city for walking and taking in the ambiance at a walker's pace. Toss in some Batobus and alternate public transport when necessary... it's all nice.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by JDiver
Paris is a wonderful city for walking and taking in the ambiance at a walker's pace. Toss in some Batobus and alternate public transport when necessary... it's all nice.
Paris Bus #69 when it is raining
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That is true - April in Paris can be brilliant, but in spite of the song it can definitely not be so.

Originally Posted by dodo
Paris Bus #69 when it is raining
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:46 pm

Unless you have some suicidal tendencies, forget it...Same applies for Vélib'.
Better to walk and/or take metro/bus

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.