Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3* Paris restaurants serving lunch?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

3* Paris restaurants serving lunch?

I'm looking to have lunch at one of the 3* restaurants in Paris. From what I've seen only Guy Savoy (closed during my visit) and Le Meurice (prix fixe with NO course options) have a lunch service. Are there any that I'm missing? Thakns
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:31 pm
Community Director Emerita

It might be easier to respond if you listed all the 3 star restaurants. I have several 2 and 3 star ones that I like where I go for lunch. Astrance is a great fave, and must be booked precisely when bookings open, either 30 or 60 days in advance. (Sorry, don't remember - but a good hotel concierge does.)

Pierre Gagnaire is open and serves a very inventive prix fixe lunch.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. The 2012 book comes out later this month so there may be revisions and what not. Here's a 2010 list:

FRANCE PARIS Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée
FRANCE PARIS Arpège
FRANCE PARIS Astrance
FRANCE PARIS Guy Savoy
FRANCE PARIS L'Ambroisie
FRANCE PARIS Le Bristol
FRANCE PARIS Le Meurice
FRANCE PARIS Le Pré Catelan
FRANCE PARIS Ledoyen
FRANCE PARIS Pierre Gagnaire

I admit, I never found a proper website for Astrance and a lunch prix fixe without a price at Pierre Gagnaire scares me. I know, if you have to ask you probably can't afford it, but I have to ask. Also, although I'm not incredibly picky, there are some things on the menu I won't eat. So I like to have a choice of courses.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:06 pm

Pierre Gagnaire was 105 euros for lunch 3 or 4 years ago. I prefer Gagnaire's Sketch restaurant in London to the flagship in Paris. We were treated beautifully, but the food was very edgy and sometimes puzzling.

Astrance was 70 euros 2 years ago. Astrance's food was very accessible. They call it a 3 course lunch, but actually there are 12 or so dishes that comprise the 3 courses. Astrance staff cheerfully substituted a dish or two for me when there was something that I truly would not eat. There is a casual comfort when having lunch here.

I've also eaten at Le Meurice where the service is almost a ballet. It was fascinating to watch the waiters surround the diners and present dishes or whisk domes off simultaneously. There was a great grace to it. The food was good but not as amazing as the other two I've just named. The dining room is grand, and great for people watching.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again. I'll probably book Le Meurice even though it's a set menu with no course variations.

Forgive the stupid question, but where does one find an official site for Astrance? It appears there is none and they only take bookings by phone.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by asherg
Forgive the stupid question, but where does one find an official site for Astrance? It appears there is none and they only take bookings by phone.
I've no idea, but I stumbled on a nice review while searching.

L'Astrance review
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

stunning!
Old Feb 9, 2012, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately Astrance is closed for lunch as well when I'm visiting. I'm there over a weekend and both Astrance and Guy Savoy offer lunch service Tuesday-Friday.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I believe most of those restaurants do not serve lunch on weekends.

Except for l'Astrance and le Pre Catalan, I've had lunch at all of them at some point. Gagnaire was my favorite (unlike one of the posters above, I much prefer the Paris venue to Sketch), but I don't think it is open for lunch on weekends in any case. The room at the Meurice is very beautiful, but I preferred my meal at the Bristol (which I'm not sure will be open). The setting of Pre Catalan (which might be open?) should be great if the day is sunny, though I believe you would need to take a taxi.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. I'm there Saturday evening through Tuesday morning so it makes it kind of difficult. I love the current Le Meurice menu which will certainly change before my arrival. I just wish they offered a course selection.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SGC Gold, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, Cont Gold, US Air Chairmans
Originally Posted by asherg
Thanks for the response. I'm there Saturday evening through Tuesday morning so it makes it kind of difficult. I love the current Le Meurice menu which will certainly change before my arrival. I just wish they offered a course selection.
What did you end up doing? I am arriving Sat morning and leaving Tues. morning this week and am interested in doing something similar.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

If you can get in, hands down, bar none, Le Meurice prix fixe for lunch.

I can't tell you how exquisite the meal was. It's the most incredible, ornate dining room but the service isn't stuffy at all. Many men didn't have ties and one family even brought a child in "kid" clothes.

Take a look at the lunch menu (as it changes every 2-4 weeks) and it's a bit deceiving on the layout.

http://www.arobis40.com/sites/lemeur...02012%20UK.pdf

Aperitifs are served together on one lengthwise plate.
Soup
Starters and curiosities will be served each as its own individual course.
Main
Mignardises will be served in a clockwise formation above the main dessert course
post-dessert treat

You'll have about 10 distinct courses.

The wine selection was superb and not expensive at all. Be aware though, my iced coffee after dessert was 14 euro.

Chef Alleno stopped by my table several times to ask how my meal was going. I wasn't familiar with him or his work before the trip but he's very humble.

Substitutions aren't a problem either. When I went the main was a fish course I didn't want and they made me a rib steak with basil gelee and preserved tomatoes with garlic. Stunning.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask here or PM me.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:53 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
ON weekdays, Chiberta (owned by Savoy) and Taillevant offer great lunch menu along with their a la carte options. I first went to Taillevant when it was 3 stars and twice after demotion but still fantastic each time. Highly recommended.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SGC Gold, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, Cont Gold, US Air Chairmans
Originally Posted by luxury
ON weekdays, Chiberta (owned by Savoy) and Taillevant offer great lunch menu along with their a la carte options. I first went to Taillevant when it was 3 stars and twice after demotion but still fantastic each time. Highly recommended.
I was not able to get into the Le Meurice for lunch today but I did get Le Bristol. 3 Stars and a very very nice meal. My wife and I are in Paris for our 15th Anniversary and it was a great time. A little long - 7 possibly 8 courses (plus some take home bags given as we left with treats) almost 4 hours total but 316€ for two - I felt it was a great value/experience.

We are eating at the hotel tonight - Le Pur' for dinner. I dined there my last visit and found it to be excellent as well - even with only the one star I found no fault.

I will look into the Chiberta and Taillevant - unfortunately this trip was semi short notice and I did not have the time to get reservations at most of the places I tried.

Thanks for the tips and sharing your experience with me. ^
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Excellent. I will have to look at Le Bristol for the next trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.