Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

RER to Metro (coming from Disneyland Paris to our hotel)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RER to Metro (coming from Disneyland Paris to our hotel)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by iff
Mountain Trader, just for reference it's a break, not a brique. (Yes, English invades the French language once again!)
Peeople ask me how I try to learn French and I tell them I go out on the streets of Paris and I get a hundred little lessons a day, as everyone I encounter corrects me on some point or another.

Now I can tell them I also get lessons on Flyer Talk.

Merci, mon professor.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:52 am
havnfn
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
We will just go to Chatelet-les-Halles and keep following escalators up.

Our luggage will be a 24" spinner and a duffle bag attached somehow over the handle , a 21" spinner with a 19" tote slid over the handle.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Merci, mon professor.
it's professeur
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by chrissxb
it's professeur
Ah, 101.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, if we are getting into pedantic mode, you would not say "mon professeur" either. You would say either " Professeur" or "Monsieur (or Madame, as the case may be) le Professeur"
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:08 pm
havnfn
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by chrissxb
Merci, mon professor.
it's professeur

Mountain Trader was engaging in a bit of Franglais, n'est-ce pas?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
Well, if we are getting into pedantic mode, you would not say "mon professeur" either. You would say either " Professeur" or "Monsieur (or Madame, as the case may be) le Professeur"
I may be on safe ground on that one. While the article is skipped with titles such as professeur, an adjectif is not. Otherwise how would you distinguish between my teacher and your teacher?

Of course, I used "mon" as a term of affection so there may be another four or five rules for that.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I may be on safe ground on that one. While the article is skipped with titles such as professeur, an adjectif is not. Otherwise how would you distinguish between my teacher and your teacher?

Of course, I used "mon" as a term of affection so there may be another four or five rules for that.
This is not a grammatical issue (nothing wrong with using adjectives with a noun in vocative form) but rather one of usage.

Some terms of endearment/familiar terms do contain a possessive adjective in them (eg: "mon petit") and there are some set ways of addressing someone (not necessarily affectionate) that also contain a possessive adjective (eg: "mon père" for a catholic priest when the speaker is him/herself also a catholic). However, adding a possessive does not generally result in a more affectionate term. "Merci mon professeur" sounds, well, foreign rather than affectionate and I struggle to imagine a situation where a native speaker would use such an idiom (unless there is a local usage of which I am unaware).
"mon cher" (as opposed to plain "mon") would work, though, although you have to be careful as it is often used tongue-in-cheek and can therefore all too easily sound ironic.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:55 pm

This is not a grammatical issue (nothing wrong with using adjectives with a noun in vocative form) but rather one of usage.
So it seems my original usage of "mon" was ok, even if not what you'd have prefered.

Even an broken clock is correct twice a day.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So it seems my original usage of "mon" was ok, even if not what you'd have prefered.

Even an broken clock is correct twice a day.
Only if you were to define 'ok' so as to regard "thank you, my professor" as 'ok' English.

It does not infringe any formal grammatical rule but it does sound rather like pidgin French.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:23 pm

Only if you were to define 'ok' so as to regard "thank you, my professor" as 'ok' English.

It does not infringe any formal grammatical rule but it does sound rather like pidgin French.
I'm glad we agree.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We have a similar question - we will arrive at the Gare de Lyon from Avignon and plan to have lunch at the Le Train Bleu (storing our 22" rollaboards in Left Luggage while we eat). (One PITA is they require a local cell phone to book, and I will not likely have a local number until I purchase a SIM on arrival next month.)

From there we can take the RER out to Roissypole and walk to our lodging (Hilton Charles de Gaulle Airport in preparation for our next day departure back to the USA), but I am thinking it would be considerably less hassle to take a taxi (Taxi Fare Finder indicates about EUR 35 ) after the morning travel and nice meal.

I guess another option is the Les Cars Air France bus to CDG Terminal 2 (F) and then take the hotel shuttle on from there - but the difference in fares is less than EUR 5 for two.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm Reason: add final para
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
We have a similar question - we will arrive at the Gare de Lyon from Avignon and plan to have lunch at the Le Train Bleu (storing our 22" rollaboards in Left Luggage while we eat). (One PITA is they require a local cell phone to book, and I will not likely have a local number until I purchase a SIM on arrival next month.)

From there we can take the RER out to Roissypole and walk to our lodging (Hilton Charles de Gaulle Airport in preparation for our next day departure back to the USA), but I am thinking it would be considerably less hassle to take a taxi (Taxi Fare Finder indicates about EUR 35 ) after the morning travel and nice meal.

I guess another option is the Les Cars Air France bus to CDG Terminal 2 (F) and then take the hotel shuttle on from there - but the difference in fares is less than EUR 5 for two.
I would plan on the cab being closer to 45 or 50 €, even in the middle of the day. That means the savings using the Air France bus is about 10-20 Euros. I often suggest a cab but since you'll be right there, I'd take the AF bus and pocket the savings.

One warning about the Hilton at CDG. It's a great facility with a wonderful spa (which was free when I was there a year or so ago). However there is nothing at all to do out there-the Hilton is close to two other hotels but there is no walkable retail. Since you're already checking your luggage, you might want to consider hopping on the Metro and hitting the Louvre or Musee d'Orsay or spending a few hours at another Paris amusement and heading out to CDG in the evening. The AF buses run well into the evening (check the schedules to be sure).
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks!

We've stayed at the Hilton previously - I agree pretty much all one can do there for excitement is look out and see the Concorde gate guardian and some aircraft and watch the grass grow.

We'll train in from Lyon, have lunch toward the end of lunch hours likely, and can certainly go afield from the Gare de Lon and return. All that's left is to proceed to the hotel - check-in, repack as necessary, print BPs, have a light munch at the lounge if we feel at all peckish and prepare for a long day following (we tend not to sleep east to west unless for a short nap to adjust to the new time zone -Pacific - more easily).

I would plan on the cab being closer to 45 or 50 €, even in the middle of the day. That means the savings using the Air France bus is about 10-20 Euros. I often suggest a cab but since you'll be right there, I'd take the AF bus and pocket the savings.

One warning about the Hilton at CDG. It's a great facility with a wonderful spa (which was free when I was there a year or so ago). However there is nothing at all to do out there-the Hilton is close to two other hotels but there is no walkable retail. Since you're already checking your luggage, you might want to consider hopping on the Metro and hitting the Louvre or Musee d'Orsay or spending a few hours at another Paris amusement and heading out to CDG in the evening. The AF buses run well into the evening (check the schedules to be sure).
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks!

We've stayed at the Hilton previously - I agree pretty much all one can do there for excitement is look out and see the Concorde gate guardian and some aircraft and watch the grass grow.

We'll train in from Lyon, have lunch toward the end of lunch hours likely, and can certainly go afield from the Gare de Lon and return. All that's left is to proceed to the hotel - check-in, repack as necessary, print BPs, have a light munch at the lounge if we feel at all peckish and prepare for a long day following (we tend not to sleep east to west unless for a short nap to adjust to the new time zone -Pacific - more easily).
One caution-make sure you screw down when that left luggage at Gare de Lyon closes. I wouldn't rely on a sign-I'd ask the guy you hand your luggage to so you can be sure there is not an early closing.

Have a great trip!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.