Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe including Turkey > France
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 16, 11, 10:02 am   #1
mgi

Christmas Eve and Christmas in Paris - What to expect?

Hi,

I will be in Paris over Christmas eve and Christmas day. Wanted to check what I can expect in terms of shops, restaurants (nothing fancy - just the typical cafes/bakeries etc.), public transportation and taxis being open/available.

Thanks,
MGI
mgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 11, 6:59 pm   #2

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, Hertz Platinum, Marriott/SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgi View Post
Hi,

I will be in Paris over Christmas eve and Christmas day. Wanted to check what I can expect in terms of shops, restaurants (nothing fancy - just the typical cafes/bakeries etc.), public transportation and taxis being open/available.

Thanks,
MGI
Did you try doing a search before posting?
"Christmas paris" = Christmas in Paris and Suggestions for dinner in Paris this Christmas among others.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Dec 16, 11 at 7:00 pm. Reason: added second thread
UAPremExecflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 11, 5:49 am   #3
mgi

Well...I did see both threads and didn't want to hijack them since my query was more specific to finding if anything will be open on Christmas eve and Christmas day...wasn't really looking for recommendations on restaurants and things to do.

I have a flight to catch on Christmas morning from CDG. I will be staying at the Park Hyatt but if the city sort of shuts down on Christmas eve, I can move to the Hyatt Regency CDG on Christmas eve so it's easier to get to the airport.

Mods...pls. merge with other threads if appropriate.

Thanks.
Old Dec 18, 11, 11:28 am   #4

Christmas in France tends to be more family-based than in many countries, and so shops and attractions close by 5 pm. I would think that a hotel close to CDG would be the best option ... and you would normally have to book in advance for Christmas Eve dinner ... though I am sure that there are other posters' recommendations for availability on the forum.

Joyeux NoŽl!
Alsacienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 11, 9:46 am   #5

Programs: AA 2MMEXP, BA Gold, UA 1MMPremierGold, Hyatt Diamond, IC RA, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Gold
I had a lovely dinner on Christmas eve a couple of years ago at a restaurant on the Left Bank recommended by the PHV concierge. I have not had trouble getting a taxi on Christmas Day, but it's probably prudent to have them book one in advance. I would think you could ask them about public transportation on Christmas--my recollection is that it doesn't shut down (a la London), but runs on a reduced holiday schedule. Most things do shut on Christmas (we've gone to movies the couple of times we were there), but you will be leaving for the airport anyway.

I'd stay in town, walk around and then have a lovely dinner or, if you like ballet, go see the Onegin at Garnier and then enjoy the breakfast buffet on Christmas morning, rather than stay at CDG.
rfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 11, 9:16 pm   #6

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrost View Post
I had a lovely dinner on Christmas eve a couple of years ago at a restaurant on the Left Bank recommended by the PHV concierge. I have not had trouble getting a taxi on Christmas Day, but it's probably prudent to have them book one in advance. I would think you could ask them about public transportation on Christmas--my recollection is that it doesn't shut down (a la London), but runs on a reduced holiday schedule. Most things do shut on Christmas (we've gone to movies the couple of times we were there), but you will be leaving for the airport anyway.

I'd stay in town, walk around and then have a lovely dinner or, if you like ballet, go see the Onegin at Garnier and then enjoy the breakfast buffet on Christmas morning, rather than stay at CDG.
on the recommendation to stay in town and not near CDG. The metro runs a full weekend/holiday schedule and taxis remain plentiful.

on the Opera Garnier recommendation. if you want a breakfast (or dinner) to remember, try the Cafe de la Paix nearby!
fishferbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 11, 11:06 am   #7
mgi

Thank you all...
Old Dec 20, 11, 1:34 pm   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishferbrains View Post
on the recommendation to stay in town and not near CDG. The metro runs a full weekend/holiday schedule and taxis remain plentiful.

on the Opera Garnier recommendation. if you want a breakfast (or dinner) to remember, try the Cafe de la Paix nearby!
I'd check the prices for Cafe de la Paix to know what you're getting into. And are they open for breakfast?
Mountain Trader is offline   Reply With Quote