Search

Broadband Rental and SIM Card in FR and England

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:27 am
dcd
Original Poster

Broadband Rental and SIM Card in FR and England

Bonjour,

We will be traveling to France (mostly in Normandy with couple days in Paris and Versaille) and UK (mostly in London) in August from States. Where and/or which we can get broadband rental for netbook to use in both countries?

Also, where are public and/or free wifi in the NE part of Arrondissement 16 ... nears to RUE CHARDON LAGACHE - 75016 PARIS

Merci!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
In parks:
http://www.travelsignposts.com/Franc...e-wi-fi-access

http://www.paris.fr/pratique/paris-w...302_port_17981

http://www.paris.fr/pratique/paris-w...274_port_17981
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:31 am
dcd
Original Poster

Broadband Rental

Bonjour,
I hope someone would have an answer. If we obtain the broadband in France, can it be used in England also? Is 1GB sufficient for emailing and browse travel websites. Merci!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: KLM, Thalys
I think you will not find this. If you live in the UK or France, it may be possible. However, as a tourist to buy one month of service in both countries from one company will probably be very difficult or impossible.

It is perhaps better to buy a SIM card in each country and throw it away (or save it for next time). The cheapest cards are often in supermarkets, though if you can search (in French) you may find a little cheaper.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:50 am
dcd
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoostvD
The cheapest cards are often in supermarkets, though if you can search (in French).
Are you referring to SIM card for phone? I am asking about "broadband" or doogle (sp?) to use internet access on a portable computer.

Merci!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by dcd
Bonjour,
I hope someone would have an answer. If we obtain the broadband in France, can it be used in England also? Is 1GB sufficient for emailing and browse travel websites. Merci!
You might post over on the travel technology category, and on technology boards of other sites. Tech folks need to be connected and may have some info to share.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: KLM, Thalys
Originally Posted by dcd
Are you referring to SIM card for phone? I am asking about "broadband" or doogle (sp?) to use internet access on a portable computer.

Merci!
Yes, you asked about a SIM card. I don't know if it is possible to find a pre-paid dongel for a laptop for less than a year. I doubt it. But are there not USB devices that let you add a SIM card to a laptop? This would make it much easier.

Here is an example of a supermarket offer: http://mobile.carrefour.fr/espace-mobile/kit-se.php

The offer includes €4 of use, after that you must "recharge" the card. When you buy the card, you can probably already add value to it so you can get more use from it.

You can, in Europe use pre-paid or subscription SIM cards in other countries, but the per-minute charges are much higher than in the country you bought the card.

When I travel outside the Netherlands, I usually only use open WIFI spots. I also have a German SIM card because Germany is one of the few counties (the Netherlands is another) that offer reasonable prices for Internet on pre-paid SIM cards. Tomorrow, I'm going to London, for example, but many of the places I will be offer free WIFI, so I will not bother with a SIM card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.