Reload this Page >

What to buy in Paris?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to buy in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Shocking!!! No one has yet suggested macarons! It's a wonderful gift, although you need to take care when packing that the delicate cookies either (a) don't get crushed or (b) don't get eaten.

I always get mine from Pain de Sucre in the Marais district (I think it's on Rue Rambuteau), but there are many other excellent purveyors of this fine delicacy!
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Great suggestions!

Everyone here has been so kind to me. I can't wait to check out the shops.

Is there a French equivellent of Marks&Spencer? That place is also a favorite of mine.

BTW.. I love macaroons!
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
Here's a good link to some dept store info for Paris. One note is that La Samaritaine is currently closed.

http://www.discoverfrance.net/France...ptstores.shtml

I would say the closest thing to Marks & Spencer is BHV (Bazar de l'Hôtel de Ville) or perhaps C&A.

My favorite store though is Le Bon Marché on the Left Bank. They have a great grocery store next door to the dept store.

I also always make a trip to Monoprix (usually the big one on the Champs Elysees). Great place to stock up on French soaps, coffee, chocolate, herbes de provence, etc.

Nougat and this candy called calissons are incredible. The calissons come in a diamond shaped white box like this:

http://www.deandeluca.com/candy-and-...amond-box.aspx
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
I always get mine from Pain de Sucre in the Marais district (I think it's on Rue Rambuteau)
Yes, at 14 rue Rambuteau (75003) ... it's an excellent bakery.

I think Monoprix is closer to Marks & Spencer than BHV, but that's a personal opinion. I braved the crowds at the new Uniqglo store near the Opéra about a month ago and was looking at their cashmere sweaters (the ones by Jil Sander) that are well-cut and not outrageously expensive. A very chic blond Parisian was rifling through the piles of sweaters next to me and turned to the sales clerk and sniffed "I've seen the same thing with better quality for half the price at Monoprix" and huffed off ... I don't know if she was right, but you can indeed find lots of things at Monoprix (I know a lady here who swears by their long silk "thermal" underwear).
Old Dec 9, 2009, 5:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Monoprix is part of the Galeries Lafayette group, and the quality is very good. I've purchased some things there that are better quality than the big department stores.

That being said, BHV is a great store. Note that there is the main BHV, plus several smaller stores surrounding the big one for various specialties, including a men's store, bicycles, pets, wine accessories, etc.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by happymom2008
BTW.. I love macaroons!
If you like macarons, prefer Pierre Hermé over Ladurée

If you like eclair au chocolat, run to La Maison du chocolat.
Excellent pastries at Pierre Hermé, La patisserie des ręves, and Gérard Mulot.

Le Bon Marché (La Grande Epicerie) and Galeries Lafayette Haussmann (Lafayette Gourmet) have both an excellent selection of food (but do not miss Hédiard or Fauchon).

Le Printemps department store has a very nice cooking accessories floor (Le Printemps de la Maison).
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:23 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex

Is there a French equivellent of Marks&Spencer? That place is also a favorite of mine.

BTW.. I love macaroons!
happymom2008, in your original post you said you're a foodie, so I'll assume your spelling is a typo, but just in case... Macarons (one "o") are most definitely not macaroons. In my opinion, they're much, much better. And more expensive.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
happymom2008, in your original post you said you're a foodie, so I'll assume your spelling is a typo, but just in case... Macarons (one "o") are most definitely not macaroons. In my opinion, they're much, much better. And more expensive.
Yes, it is a typo!
Old Dec 14, 2009, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
23 posts and I didn't see wine mentioned. I am convinced that the French keep the best stuff for themselves, but won't stop you from buying it there and taking it home. There is a very nice wine shop on Place de la Madeleine where you can get help in English. Buy as many bottles as your party can bring home duty-free. ^ Hediard is just across the corner and also carries some wines, but I love the fresh foods there - the fruits and cheeses.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
23 posts and I didn't see wine mentioned. I am convinced that the French keep the best stuff for themselves, but won't stop you from buying it there and taking it home. There is a very nice wine shop on Place de la Madeleine where you can get help in English. Buy as many bottles as your party can bring home duty-free. ^ Hediard is just across the corner and also carries some wines, but I love the fresh foods there - the fruits and cheeses.

I love French wine, but I am doing carryon luggage only and wine is hard to pack.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I believe you are referring to La Vinia, an excellent branch of the Madrid-based retailer.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: CO, UA Premier

BTW.. I love macaroons!
A macaron is nothing like a macaroon that you would get in the US. No coconut for starters. Not sure how to describe it but rest assured that they are a million times better than a macaroon.

My fave is Gerard Mulot. ^^^^^
Old Jan 1, 2010, 2:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I do recommend Le Bon Marche for food - you can get all sorts of things from one place, and quite reasonably priced. There are also some good bakeries nearby.

I literally filled my suitcase with food on my December trip to Paris, and I intend to do it again in a few days.

Another thing I'd like to recommend is the cosmetics from Printemps, especially very 'French' ones that haven't reached overseas yet. They are on the 2nd floor of the Maison building.

Also, visit Guerlain. They stock more unusual perfumes from their range.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:55 am

Programs: DL GM
23 posts and I didn't see wine mentioned.
Here's a tip for US-based flyers, which I got from a customs agent at DTW: If you bring home more than the measly 1 bottle of wine that's officially duty-free, specify how may liters of wine you're bringing on your customs declaration. She said that they calculate your duty by the liter, and will probably waive the duty if you only have a few liters and make it easy for them to figure that out.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by beachfan
For simple things, don't overlook the Duty Free shop in the airport. While it's a euro or two more, the convenience outweighs the hassle (talking about low cost gifts here). Fauchon cookies were very reasonable, as were some other cookies and chocolate (like $8- $10 each). Very well received.

Also, if you like it, fois gras is a reasonable airport purchase. Go for the better known names. They also may gave the Comtesse du Barry pate (not fois gras) assortment - 8 small tins of pates. Makes very nice gifts.

For myself, it's two things - chocolate and cheese. Both at the best places at Paris (such as Hediard for chocolate and Marie Cantin for cheese). For friends, I get the cheaper stuff.

Wine is usually cheaper in the US for the same bottle unless you buy at the winery. Figure in baggage allowance limits before you buy wine.
This post is quite helpful for me, as I'm looking for something edible/drinkable to purchase at CDG this July. Best would be if those can be used in/as finger foods or (wine) served at garden parties.

I have a longhaul arrival at 2A in the morning and then a continuing Schengen flight around 11am from 2D. Is there enough sortiment in these terminals airside or should I head landside in either one?

Any other recs for gourmet gifts to be found at CDG?

Sincere thanks for any opinons and recommendations. Not that familiar with Paris airports at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.