Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Take Two: What is Your Favorite "Secret" Thing to do (or Place to Eat) in Paris?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take Two: What is Your Favorite "Secret" Thing to do (or Place to Eat) in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:23 am

Any recommendations for near the Trocadero? - I'll be staying at the Rue Saint Didier.

Is there a yelp site for Paris?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by boboqui
Any recommendations for near the Trocadero? - I'll be staying at the Rue Saint Didier
If you like Champagne...
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Any recommendations for near the Trocadero? - I'll be staying at the Rue Saint Didier.
Yes, restaurant Victor is right near you and an excellent choice. I stay in this area often at the Lord Baltimore which has a nice restaurant too, but more pricey.

http://www.bestrestaurantsparis.com/...is/victor.html

or http://www.lafourchette.com/2_restau..._Victor/18504/
Old Dec 6, 2012, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes, restaurant Victor is right near you and an excellent choice. I stay in this area often at the Lord Baltimore which has a nice restaurant too, but more pricey.

http://www.bestrestaurantsparis.com/...is/victor.html

or http://www.lafourchette.com/2_restau..._Victor/18504/
Merci!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Ulala!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
A couple of not-so-well-known gems:

Musee des Arts Decoratifs, on a side door of the Louvre on Rue de Rivoli.

Musee Jacquemart Andre, one of the most charming museums in Paris, on Bd. Haussmann. Great building, great collection, great history.

Last edited by menton1; Dec 27, 2012 at 12:59 pm
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by menton1
Musee Jacquemart Andre, one of the most charming museums in Paris, on Bd. Haussmann. Great building, great collection, great history.
I love that little museum and it has a very nice restaurant. It's a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Bobette
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
A hidden treasure, and in the spring the cafe is just marvelous:

http://www.paris.fr/loisirs/musees-e...mantique/p5851

Another thing, Paris is an island, so one can take a boat that goes all around it through the canals. Under the Bastille supposedly you can still see the black whatever from the fires of the revolution.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond

Is there a yelp site for Paris?
By Place Victor Hugo there are lots of Brasseries.

In the summer the roof top of the Hotel Rafael (Rue Kleber) is absolutely great to have a drink and just look at the rooftops of Paris.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
In the summer the roof top of the Hotel Rafael (Rue Kleber) is absolutely great to have a drink and just look at the rooftops of Paris.
Ditto for the rooftop of the Holiday Inn Notre Dame. Great view of la tour Eiffel.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by stimpy
Ditto for the rooftop of the Holiday Inn Notre Dame. Great view of la tour Eiffel.
Not a great place for a drink or any drink at all, but the view from the roof of the Institut du Monde Arabe is my favorite in Paris - not to mention that the building itself is of architectural note and very much worth a visit.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
A hidden treasure, and in the spring the cafe is just marvelous:

http://www.paris.fr/loisirs/musees-e...mantique/p5851

Another thing, Paris is an island, so one can take a boat that goes all around it through the canals. Under the Bastille supposedly you can still see the black whatever from the fires of the revolution.
Paris is an island? Unless you mean that poetically, or unless you consider the Peripherique a body of water, it is not an island. You may be mixing it up with Montreal!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by menton1
Paris is an island? Unless you mean that poetically,
Île-de-France. Not literal.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: HH Silver
While no secret I don't think I did spend and enjoy far more time on Île de la Cité than past trips when I only visit Notre Dame Cathedral. The sidestreets are narrow and quiet within a block or two of the multitude of tourists and there are some really hidden gems like Rue des Ursins.

I also enjoyed a nice early summer afternoon break in Place Dauphine at a sidewalk cafe and also enjoyed that space which counted far more locals than travellers.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
I also enjoyed a nice early summer afternoon break in Place Dauphine at a sidewalk cafe and also enjoyed that space which counted far more locals than travellers.
And you can always sit and watch a game of pétanque there.

Another area I think is a little gem is Buttes des Cailles. It's very unique. Also, I think you might like the Bastille Market on Sundays ( I think it's on Thursdays too). There isn't just food and spices. It here is also a flea market type area in the front that has very inexpensive jewelry, scarves, etc. okay this isn't a "hidden" gem but it's kind of a fun place to visit and....oh, those delicious smelling roasting chickens. It's on Blvd Richard Lenoir. Get off at Metro stop Bastille and the market is right across the way.

Bobette

Last edited by b1513; Dec 30, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.