Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Take Two: What is Your Favorite "Secret" Thing to do (or Place to Eat) in Paris?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take Two: What is Your Favorite "Secret" Thing to do (or Place to Eat) in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SeAAttle
Thanks for the explanation of the name - very creative. A colleague recommended it as simply "Fish" and "Fish restaurant Paris" is not a useful Google search term! Later he gave the full name and I left off Fish.
Interesting, I was told it was called "Fish" because the owners encourage you to drink like fishes.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
Here's a "secret" spot that would fit in your "Death tour." Cimetiere de Picpus, at 35 rue de Picpus, open 2-6 pm Mon.-Sun. if I recall correctly. If you're an American or a lover of the idea of freedom, read a bit about the biography of the Marquis de Lafayette, who is buried here. An American flag flies over his grave, and is reportedly the only spot where an American flag flew inside the borders of the Nazi occupation. It actually flies over U.S. soil, because after the U.S became a nation, Lafayette made a tour of each state and returned with a sufficient quantity of soil from Virginia, in which to be buried.

If you know about Lafayette (not just his American exploits, which are enough), it's worth visiting the cemetery just for that. And to imagine the scene when, shortly after the liberation of Paris, one of Patton's commanders visited the grave to say, "Lafayette, nous ici," i.e., returning the favor. (My French is not great, but I wonder why it wouldn't be "nous sommes ici"... at any rate, that's the phrase I've read was spoken.)

But when you're done with Lafayette's grave, turn around and consider the fact that before you is a mass grave for some 1500 headless corpses. This is the only known mass burial site for victims of the guillotine during the reign of terror. There were others, but their locations are (as far as I know) unknown. Lafayette had two relatives (a mother-in-law and a sister-in-law, if I recall correctly) who were guillotined and buried here, so that's why his family bought the plot and why he is buried next to the mass grave.
Wow, very interesting, must check it out this weekend!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Here's a "secret" spot that would fit in your "Death tour." Cimetiere de Picpus, at 35 rue de Picpus, open 2-6 pm Mon.-Sun. if I recall correctly. If you're an American or a lover of the idea of freedom, read a bit about the biography of the Marquis de Lafayette, who is buried here. An American flag flies over his grave, and is reportedly the only spot where an American flag flew inside the borders of the Nazi occupation. It actually flies over U.S. soil, because after the U.S became a nation, Lafayette made a tour of each state and returned with a sufficient quantity of soil from Virginia, in which to be buried.

If you know about Lafayette (not just his American exploits, which are enough), it's worth visiting the cemetery just for that. And to imagine the scene when, shortly after the liberation of Paris, one of Patton's commanders visited the grave to say, "Lafayette, nous ici," i.e., returning the favor. (My French is not great, but I wonder why it wouldn't be "nous sommes ici"... at any rate, that's the phrase I've read was spoken.)

But when you're done with Lafayette's grave, turn around and consider the fact that before you is a mass grave for some 1500 headless corpses. This is the only known mass burial site for victims of the guillotine during the reign of terror. There were others, but their locations are (as far as I know) unknown. Lafayette had two relatives (a mother-in-law and a sister-in-law, if I recall correctly) who were guillotined and buried here, so that's why his family bought the plot and why he is buried next to the mass grave.
Thanks for posting that. ^

Although it's hardly a secret, I recently discovered Park Monceau when staying at the Hilton Arc de Triomphe. On a warm day, its a quiet oasis of beautiful bodies sunning, folks sitting on a bench quietly visiting, just a beautiful place to walk through or spend a quiet afternoon in the fresh air away from the roar of the city.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Oct 21, 2009 at 8:33 pm
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:44 am

I heard the story as "LaFayette, We are Here!" during WWI.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3401802291.html
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: FB Gold, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond
If you have kids, bring them to la cite des sciences. I loved it as a kid and still go there from time to time.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by davidvcd
If you have kids, bring them to la cite des sciences. I loved it as a kid and still go there from time to time.
Speaking of children, I think one of the great "secret" things in Paris for kids (or me!) is the Natural History Museum's Great Hall of Evolution, right in the Jardin des Plantes. Just amazing.

http://www.parisdigest.com/withchildren/museum.htm
Old Feb 5, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA

... "Lafayette, nous ici," i.e., returning the favor. (My French is not great, but I wonder why it wouldn't be "nous sommes ici"... at any rate, that's the phrase I've read was spoken.)
The famous phrase is actually "Lafayette, nous voilà!" Same meaning ("we are here") but grammatically correct
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by davidvcd
Is that the place with the submarine out front? Visible from the canal?
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: FB Gold, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Is that the place with the submarine out front? Visible from the canal?
Yes, it's where the submarine (the argonaut) is as well as La Geode. The whole park itself is a fun place, so don't forget to bring a pick nick and a ball.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 1:29 pm

I've seen it mentioned in a few places but one of the nicest museums in Paris is the Musee Marmottan. It is a little off the beaten path but well worth the short trip.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
You must have the hot chocolate at "Angelina's" on the Rue Rivoli (across from the Jardin de Tuileries). They serve a small pitcher of pure melted chocolate and a small bowl of whipped cream; you create your own cup of hot chocolate using these ingredients. It is, by far, the richest and most delicious hot chocolate I have ever had. The physical address is 226 Rue de Rivoli (42.60.82.00). The Food Lover's Guide to Paris describes it as "lethally rich." You can also purchase sandwiches, salads and pastries.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: LH, Qantas
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Speaking of children, I think one of the great "secret" things in Paris for kids (or me!) is the Natural History Museum's Great Hall of Evolution, right in the Jardin des Plantes. Just amazing.

http://www.parisdigest.com/withchildren/museum.htm
Another great place, almost in the heart of the city is the Palais de la Decouverte, areally interactive museum. So good that some activities / events have to be booked in advance.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MJLogan
Every May, there's an open artists' studios weekend in Belleville. It's lots of fun. The art ranges from awful to fantastic, but the crowd is interesting and it's fun to peek into the homes and workspaces of a boho neighborhood with a very diverse population. Some of the artists show in little cafés, so there are many opportunities to stop for a drink.
This year's festival will be May 28-31, 2010. Sounds like a fun way to spend a Saturday in May.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by maltasr
You must have the hot chocolate at "Angelina's" on the Rue Rivoli (across from the Jardin de Tuileries). They serve a small pitcher of pure melted chocolate and a small bowl of whipped cream; you create your own cup of hot chocolate using these ingredients. It is, by far, the richest and most delicious hot chocolate I have ever had. The physical address is 226 Rue de Rivoli (42.60.82.00). The Food Lover's Guide to Paris describes it as "lethally rich." You can also purchase sandwiches, salads and pastries.
Absolutely agree with this!
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by beta1607
Absolutely agree with this!
Absolutely fabulous ! And I keep coming back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.