Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

wifi in Paris, France

wifi in Paris, France

Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:09 am
Original Poster

wifi in Paris, France

One of the WiFi networks I can apparently try to connect to is called FreeWiFi. When I try to connect to this network, it sends me to:

http://wifi.free.fr

which requests a user name and password.

Anyone familiar with this network? Is it free? How can I get a user name and password?

I assume the username and password is only necessary so they can make sure you aren't doing anything illegal with your access.

Is http://wifi.free.fr the same thing as:

www.paris.fr/portail/Economie/Portal.lut

It looks like, if I could read this french site, that I could get a username and password for a free, Paris wide, wifi network.

Is this true?

If it is a wifi network, but isn't free, how much does it cost?
Is it possible to get this information in English?
(There is an English link on the top of the page, but click on that link does not send me to an english translation of this page.)

Does anyone have any recommendations on generally Paris wide wifi networks (either free or paid)?

Does anyone have any recommendations on accurate websites containing listings of businesses in Paris offering free wifi access?

Virtually any comments on accessing the internet via wifi in Paris would be welcome.

Thank you.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
please continue to follow this thread in our France forum

regards,

chrissxb
europe forum
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: DL GM
Free is a French ISP. Perhaps this (translated) web page will help you.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: DL GM
I have absolutely no experience of this service or knowledge of it beyond what is posted on the website.

Here is a rough translation of this Paris Portail page:

The Paris-Wifi Pass

The Paris Wif-Fi Pass is a new service established by the City of Paris and the Ile de France region. It allows you free wireless, high-speed internet connection. It is open to everyone: Parisiens, French residents and visitors to Paris.

To use it, go to one of the 260 municipal sites equipped with one or more Paris Wi-Fi Pass hotspots: park or garden, arrondissement headquarters, library or museum of the City of Paris.

How to connect with the Paris Wi-Fi Pass?

1. Locate the place bearing the logo Paris Wi-Fi. This indicates that you are in the area of a Paris Wi-Fi hotspot.

2. Turn on your Wi-Fi equipment.

3. Select the Orange network.

4. Launch your Internet browser as usual and type any website address (for example: http://www.paris.fr).

5. Select your pass Paris wi-fi 2h offered by the mairie of Paris et the Region Ile de France.

6. After that you can surf for free on the internet, send and receive emails, etc., without needing to connect by other means!

Important reminders:

Attention! Remember to fully charge your batteries in advance: electricity is not furnished by the Pass Paris Wi-Fi.

The Pass Paris Wi-Fi is accessible during the open hours of the municipal sites so equipped. To find out the schedules of these sites, enquire at the reception desk of each of them. In order to facilitate the evacuation of these sites at closing time, please obey the instructions of the municipal employees.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:33 am
iff

Some chains have free wifi, e.g., McDonald's, Starbucks, Columbus Caf, and certain Indiana Caf locations.

Here's a list of establishments offering Wistro wifi service, searchable by arrondissement: Wistro Near You
Not sure how up to date it is.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by Tennisbum
I have absolutely no experience of this service or knowledge of it beyond what is posted on the website.

Here is a rough translation of this Paris Portail page:

The Paris-Wifi Pass

The Paris Wif-Fi Pass is a new service established by the City of Paris and the Ile de France region. It allows you free wireless, high-speed internet connection. It is open to everyone: Parisiens, French residents and visitors to Paris.

To use it, go to one of the 260 municipal sites equipped with one or more Paris Wi-Fi Pass hotspots: park or garden, arrondissement headquarters, library or museum of the City of Paris.

How to connect with the Paris Wi-Fi Pass?

1. Locate the place bearing the logo Paris Wi-Fi. This indicates that you are in the area of a Paris Wi-Fi hotspot.

2. Turn on your Wi-Fi equipment.

3. Select the Orange network.

4. Launch your Internet browser as usual and type any website address (for example: http://www.paris.fr).

5. Select your pass Paris wi-fi 2h offered by the mairie of Paris et the Region Ile de France.

6. After that you can surf for free on the internet, send and receive emails, etc., without needing to connect by other means!

Important reminders:

Attention! Remember to fully charge your batteries in advance: electricity is not furnished by the Pass Paris Wi-Fi.

The Pass Paris Wi-Fi is accessible during the open hours of the municipal sites so equipped. To find out the schedules of these sites, enquire at the reception desk of each of them. In order to facilitate the evacuation of these sites at closing time, please obey the instructions of the municipal employees.
I've used this service. It's better than nothing but has the following drawbacks:

-Slow connection
-data limitations
-no VOIP

I find that I can send only very short e-mails from within my mail client; I work around that by writing mails offline (downloading mail doesn't seem to be a problem) and pasting text into my web-based e-mail. Using Orange's paid WiFi it's possible to send longer mails from the client. When you go into the Orange site you are asked to choose your wifi access -- and you can choose to buy some number of hours of wifi, to be used within a certain amount of time. This is good in places that offer an Orange hot spot, like certain cafes and hotel lobbies. Obviously it's up to the hotel whether they permit non-guests to sit in the lobby to connect. Orange has a list of WiFi hotspots online.

The nominal maximum attachment is 20MB but I've had smaller files rejected for bandwidth overage.

The other problem is, when trying to access WiFi in city parks, finding just where the hot spot is. The Jardins de Trocadero are listed as a point WiFI but I haven't yet been able to connect.

The one time I was able to log on in a park in the 13 arrondissement, on a Sunday in July. the WiFi connection was cut off at 7 pm.

I often use the WiFi in the lobby of one of the Mairies (district headquarters). It's fun to watch all the wedding parties come and go, especially on a Saturday morning. One of the lobby guards did mention that they were considering discontinuing the service.

Last edited by Fornebufox; Aug 17, 2009 at 8:56 am
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
Re:Paris WIFI

The public free wifi in Paris seems to be quite sporadic. I'm 1-1/2 blocks from the Pompidou parvis which is supposed to have free wifi, and I've never really been able to even see that connection. The multiplying Starbucks all seem to have free wifi and I think it works the same way as in the States, where it comes with a purchase or for a small fee. There are still quite a few internet cafes. Which neighborhoods are you using?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:24 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
FWIW I remember seeing a small wifi sign in the rose garden behind Notre Dame. I didn't use it, and have no idea how reliable it is. Bon chance!
Old Aug 28, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
FWIW I remember seeing a small wifi sign in the rose garden behind Notre Dame. I didn't use it, and have no idea how reliable it is. Bon chance!
I used that just last week! That is the true "free" wifi, unlike "freewifi", which is not. You do have to click through a login screen, but you don't need to register. Another one of these turned up by the Palais Royale, but it sounds like they're all over the place, I just didn't discover every one.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
As I moved recently into a new apartment and missed to manage my Internet subscription, I had to subscribe to a temporary Internet supplier.

Ozone Paris works pretty well and costs only EUR 19 a month^
Old Aug 31, 2009, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by nicolas75
As I moved recently into a new apartment and missed to manage my Internet subscription, I had to subscribe to a temporary Internet supplier.

Ozone Paris works pretty well and costs only EUR 19 a month^
Ozone Paris looks interesting. I would like to use my iPhone while in Paris but want to be sure I am not hit with a large bill when I return home. If I understand correctly, most of these issues can be avoided by using wifi connections only. Although the apartment I have rented has wifi, I noticed that it is right in the middles of one of the coverage zones.

Is the service robust enough for Skype?

Does the contract have a maximum download, above which extra charges kick in?

I noticed that the contract can be canceled by written request. I would plan to sign up for one month.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SeAAttle
Is the service robust enough for Skype?
It really depends on where you are in Paris (district, but also where is located your apartment).
It really depends where you are

PS: you can use Skype on your i-Phone??

Does the contract have a maximum download, above which extra charges kick in?
I don't think so, but you better check T&Cs

I noticed that the contract can be cancelled by written request. I would plan to sign up for one month.
oups, I did not notice this point And just read the T&Cs (and will send my letter at once).
Considering that it is not a one shot subscription, I would advise you NOT to subscribe at the service
Old Aug 31, 2009, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by nicolas75

PS: you can use Skype on your i-Phone??
Yes.

Discussion here in Travel Technology.

oups, I did not notice this point And just read the T&Cs (and will send my letter at once).
Considering that it is not a one shot subscription, I would advise you NOT to subscribe at the service
Any reason other than the need to cancel in writing?

Last edited by SeAAttle; Aug 31, 2009 at 5:40 pm
Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:23 pm

In Paris in May I tried to use a couple of the free WiFi in parks but couldn't connect. I did manage to get 90 minutes free in Pompidou centre. Also used McDonalds and a cafe. Did pick up an unsecured network while walking along street beside Pere Lachaise cemetery so spent a few minutes leaning against the wall enjoying the sun while checking emails - thanks Joanne.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:39 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
The no charge municipal WiFi worked for me, but coverage was a bit spotty - e.g., worked on one side of a building but not the other.
Have a look at www.fon.com - have used that in Paris with good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.