Wiki Posts
Search

Citibank ATMs in France

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:40 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Citibank ATMs in France

Got a Citi account for worldwide ATM access at, hopefully, no fee.

Now, checking for France, I find only one ATM listed for France, at the Citi office on the Champs in Paris.

Are there other ATMs in France I can use at no fee with my Citi Debit card? At CDG, perhaps? Does Citi belong to a network in France?
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Got a Citi account for worldwide ATM access at, hopefully, no fee.

Now, checking for France, I find only one ATM listed for France, at the Citi office on the Champs in Paris.

Are there other ATMs in France I can use at no fee with my Citi Debit card? At CDG, perhaps? Does Citi belong to a network in France?
Why not contact Citi? The Citibank office that used to be on the Champs Elysees closed a few years ago. I don't know if they left an ATM machine behind.

BTW, I haven't checked them all out but it looked like HSBC has most of the ATMs at CDG.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:49 am

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
The Citibank office that used to be on the Champs Elysees closed a few years ago. I don't know if they left an ATM machine behind.
I am not sure if the office closed, but I know they had an ATM working (maybe more than one) at the Champs location last June.

Now I remember though, I walked all the way down to that Citi ATM to avoid a fee and it wasn't working. So, I'm not sure if the office is open, but they had at least one non-working ATM on the Champs Elysees last June (2006).
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:07 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by zrudeboyz
I am not sure if the office closed, but I know they had an ATM working (maybe more than one) at the Champs location last June.

Now I remember though, I walked all the way down to that Citi ATM to avoid a fee and it wasn't working. So, I'm not sure if the office is open, but they had at least one non-working ATM on the Champs Elysees last June (2006).
As of 10 days ago, the Citi ATM facility on the Champs had at least 3 ATM's, none of which was able to dispense cash. I had walked down (admittedly, only about 10 minutes out of my way, but it WAS raining hard), and was not a happy camper.
I have a vague recollection that this one's in a different spot than previously, that there used to be one on the same side of the road, but further from l'Etoile, but perhaps that's just a trick of the memory.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by rfrost
As of 10 days ago, the Citi ATM facility on the Champs had at least 3 ATM's, none of which was able to dispense cash. I had walked down (admittedly, only about 10 minutes out of my way, but it WAS raining hard), and was not a happy camper.
Yes, this has been my experience before; the ATMs on the Champs-Elysées often runs out of cash.

Best to call Citibank to see if they have some sort of arrangement with a local bank where you can withdraw euros without fees.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:23 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Okay, I called Citibank. Was told that (1) I needed to have a "travel supression" put on my account so that my debit use would not be blocked in France. And that they had no list of Citi ATMs in France, but that there were not very many.
Was also told that as of Dec. 2nd Citi had a new policy-no charges for using Citi ATM in France. Before Dec 2 there was a 3% charge on all foreign ATM transactions including Citi ATMS. Now, only for non-Citi ATMs.

Not very useful if we go to the South.

Those Amex Travelers checks are looking better and better. At least I don't have to go to the one Citi office in France to use 'em.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:34 pm

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Those Amex Travelers checks are looking better and better. At least I don't have to go to the one Citi office in France to use 'em.

You could always just use any ATM (i.e. HSBC) and pay the fee. I have never been hit with a fee by Citi of more than $3 total for a foreign currency withdrawal from a non-Citi ATM.

I think you still get the best rate with ATMs, even if you have to pay a transaction fee.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Why not contact Citi? The Citibank office that used to be on the Champs Elysees closed a few years ago.
No. The office on the Champs Elysées MOVED up the street to the following address:

Citibank International PLC
125 AVENUE DES CHAMPS ELYSEES
75008 PARIS
Tel: 01 53 23 33 60
Fax: 01 47 20 47 46

(This information from the online telephone directory of France Telecom, http://www.pagesjaunes.fr)

As you are looking towards the Arc de Triomphe, it is on the left hand side, about a half a block from the Place de l'Etoile.

Branch wesbite: http://www.citibank.fr/aboutus/4.asp

It was still there when I last used it in September.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
No. The office on the Champs Elysées MOVED up the street to the following address:

75008 PARIS

(This information from the online telephone directory of France Telecom, http://www.pagesjaunes.fr)

As you are looking towards the Arc de Triomphe, it is on the left hand side, about a half a block from the Place de l'Etoile.

Glad to know they're back (they did indeed close a few years ago, leaving behind a sign directing customers to another location). How's the service in there? As to the OP's question, was there a working ATM there when you visited?
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:25 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Glad to know they're back (they did indeed close a few years ago, leaving behind a sign directing customers to another location). How's the service in there? As to the OP's question, was there a working ATM there when you visited?
Take a look at my post above.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:34 am

I merely passed by the location and saw other people there. I personally did not need any cash at the time.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Landing Gear

75008 PARIS

I went by this morning. While the sign in your photo is there, the only thing inside the door are 4 ATMs, 2 for Citibank customers only and 2 generic ATMs. I couldn't tell if the proprietary ones were working but the other 2 were not.

I don't know what else you saw in September. Today the only thing was a sign saying the office had moved to 24 rue Vernet, which is around the back of the builldng. That address also has a Citibank sign, plus others that say that they do no money transactions, "Weath Management" and that they only meet with clients to discuss investements.

I don't stop by there often as that bank, when they did do regular banking, was the worst I have ever dealt with. The signs directing everyone to rue Vernet have been there everytime I've gone by for several years.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zrudeboyz
You could always just use any ATM (i.e. HSBC) and pay the fee. I have never been hit with a fee by Citi of more than $3 total for a foreign currency withdrawal from a non-Citi ATM.

I think you still get the best rate with ATMs, even if you have to pay a transaction fee.
For anyone who already read this response, I was incorrect. This is, I believe, the current status. For ATM withdrawals in Europe from ANY machine - Citbank or not - you have the current conversion rate plus a 1% surcharge. This is from the Citibank website:

If you use your ATM/Debit Card to get cash in the local currency at any ATM—Citibank or non-Citibank—then there is a foreign exchange fee that totals 1% of the transaction, in U.S. dollars. For example, if you withdrew 100 Euros at an ATM in Italy, and the value in USD was $125, then the 1% fee would be $1.25. This exchange fee is also applied when you use your ATM/Debit Card to make purchases overseas.

This is a recent change, hence my confusion. So, apparently you no longer need to seek out a Citibank ATM, can anyone confirm this?

Getting out cash and using it for purchases would seem to be the better way to go, since you'll get hit with a 3% charge on CC purchases.

Last edited by milepig; Dec 7, 2006 at 8:58 am Reason: Fixing numbers
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by milepig
For anyone who already read this response, I was incorrect. This is, I believe, the current status. For ATM withdrawals in Europe from ANY machine - Citbank or not - you have the current conversion rate plus a 1% surcharge. This is from the Citibank website:

If you use your ATM/Debit Card to get cash in the local currency at any ATM—Citibank or non-Citibank—then there is a foreign exchange fee that totals 1% of the transaction, in U.S. dollars. For example, if you withdrew 100 Euros at an ATM in Italy, and the value in USD was $125, then the 1% fee would be $1.25. This exchange fee is also applied when you use your ATM/Debit Card to make purchases overseas.

This is a recent change, hence my confusion. So, apparently you no longer need to seek out a Citibank ATM, can anyone confirm this?

Getting out cash and using it for purchases would seem to be the better way to go, since you'll get hit with a 3% charge on CC purchases.

I can confirm this! Good job^ Now I know why I was charged and how much. 1% is good - I can live with it. Another bank charge me 3% more or less for the same amount.
Used Citi ATM card in Buenos Aires at Bank Galicia and was charged exactly 1%. BTW, at the Citi Bank next door I didn't get money out of the ATM nor at the counter "..we are Citi Bank Argentina .. nothing to do with Citi Bank USA ..."?!? ... same logo, same color all the same ....
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:38 am

I went by this morning. While the sign in your photo is there, the only thing inside the door are 4 ATMs, 2 for Citibank customers only and 2 generic ATMs. I couldn't tell if the proprietary ones were working but the other 2 were not.

I don't know what else you saw in September.
I'm sorry, but unlike the popular "London Show Tours," I did not take the "Paris ATM Tour."

There is a mountain being made out of a molehill here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.