Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Thanks, milepig, for the update.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Those Amex Travelers checks are looking better and better. At least I don't have to go to the one Citi office in France to use 'em.
Why not get an European bank account?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, PriorityClub Platinum
Got a Citi account for worldwide ATM access at, hopefully, no fee.
I don't know from your profile whether you're a US resident, but if you have a Bank of America account, you can use all of the BNP ATM's for free.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by sculler1x
I don't know from your profile whether you're a US resident, but if you have a Bank of America account, you can use all of the BNP ATM's for free.

If true, this would be a great resource-BNP has ATMs everywhere in Paris.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:35 am

Those Amex Travelers checks are looking better and better. At least I don't have to go to the one Citi office in France to use 'em.
Don't rely too much on travelers checks for daily expenditure. They are accepted less and less by businesses, and there is often a charge. Even at the currency exchange booths, you will often pay a fee even if the check is in euros.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
If true, this would be a great resource-BNP has ATMs everywhere in Paris.

This is indeed true. They have arrangements with:

Barclays (United Kingdom)
BNP Paribas (France)
China Construction Bank (China)
Deutsche Bank (Germany)
Santander Serfin (Mexico)
Scotiabank (Canada)
Westpac (Australia and
New Zealand)

And the website says "with no fee". I don't know how good their exchange rate is, however.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 8:19 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Just back from Paris where I was rather shocked by the prices. But got a chance to workout my Citi ATM card. At the Citi office on the Champs I got 100 Euros and was charged just over $133. Appears to be no added forex charge. Also got some Euros with the card at a non-Citi ATM at CDG and got charged a couple of bucks forex charge and a $1.50 non Citi ATM usage fee. Too bad Citi has only one ATM site in all of France. Kinda makes it hard to avoid fees.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:01 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Too bad Citi has only one ATM site in all of France. Kinda makes it hard to avoid fees.
Particularly when, as indicated above, it frequently runs out of cash!
Old Dec 21, 2006, 1:11 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rfrost
Particularly when, as indicated above, it frequently runs out of cash!
When I made my one use of the Citi ATM Champs machine I did notice that there were two machines for general use which where not working and two for Citi account holders only, one of which actually provided me with cash, as well as the chance to check my account balances--not really something I went to France to do, but I guess it could be useful. Given French prices I really needed the cash.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Bump

Does anyone know what the current status is? I found German locations on their website but nothing for France.

Thanks
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:16 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by rani
Does anyone know what the current status is? I found German locations on their website but nothing for France.

Thanks
Citi has offices near Metro St. Philippe du Roule (8th arr.) but when I walked in there a few months ago to open a local bank account they told me they have no more retail services.

I didn't look for an ATM but between your search results and my experience I would think it's unlikely they have one.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:23 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Citibank closed all their retail operations in France in late 2006/early 2007 IIRC. AFAIK, there are currently no Citi ATMs left in France.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Just for information Citibank UK account holders can open a Euro account, transfer some Sterling into Euros (at usually fairly good rates), link ATM card to Euro account and then withdraw Euros from any ATM in France (and rest of Euro land) without any charge. Without charge unless the ATM provider in France charges.

Same applies if a US dollar account is opened in Citibank UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.