Search

Getting from CDG to Montparnasse at 5pm on a Friday

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeropaln
Getting from CDG to Montparnasse at 5pm on a Friday

So I need some advice.

My wife, brother-in-law and I are flying YVR-MUC-CDG with an arrival time in CDG of 17:10.

Im trying to figure out the best/fastest/cheapest way to get to Montparnasse to meet up with the rest of the family.

My initial thought was to take the train and the Metro. This is certainly the cheapest but is it reasonable to do with two large (checked) suitcases and 2 or 3 carry-on bags/suitcases?

Are we better off spending the extra 20€ to sit in traffic in the back of a cab?

While I've lived in Paris and am comfortable with the Metro I'm not really sure what this trip would look like.

Advice?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC one of the airport bus routes goes to Montparnasse. It will be a lot cheaper than a taxi and avoid the risk of a huge fare if traffic is bad but of course it won't save time compared to a taxi and might actually require a bit more time if there are other stops. It's also easier with luggage than the RER and metro combination, especially in rush hour.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
The Bus Direct to Montparnasse first stops at Gare de Lyon. The ride can seemingly take forever to reach Montparnasse. At 3 x 17€ the cost for the Bus is 51€. A taxi to Montparnasse from CDG will cost a flat 55€.

The RER B is 10€ each but will require an awkward connection at probably Denfert Rochereau. If you have a lot of luggage, I wouldn´t attempt it, particularly at rush hour.

No one option can simultaneously be best/fastest/cheapest. In your case however, a taxi, from the official taxi queue, will come close. Do not accept offers from clandestine drivers soliciting from within the terminals.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
By taxi, it will take you around 90 min. This is rush hour.
maxjasper likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:19 am

The taxis are now flat fee from CDG so getting caught in traffic should not be an issue.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20160229/fla...mes-into-force
maxjasper likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:01 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Even by bus it will take a long time. They do have a dedicated lane in some portions of the route, but once it enters Paris, it gets stuck on the way to Gare de Lyon.

The bus usually takes 70 - 90 minutes. If I were the OP, I would just take a taxi.
maxjasper likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
If you are feeling strong and agile with your luggage, why not the RER B to Denfert and then a taxi to Montparnasse? It will be faster (no rush hour traffic) especially if you can get a train that is non-stop to Gare du Nord. Denfert is smaller, so [relatively] easier to exit (or even get off at Port Royal or Luxembourg). Shorter taxi distance = less time waiting around after your long day/ short night of flying.
maxjasper likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: SkyMiles Silver/MM, HHonors Gold, MileagePlus/newbie, AAdvantage/novice
What will Uber ride cost, from CDG to Gare Montparnasse?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
A taxi from the official taxi queue will cost 55€. There is no surge pricing and only taxis can use the bus lanes which will get you to Montparnasse faster than any other service.

Do not accept offers from clandestine drivers soliciting from within the terminals.
Mike Jacoubowsky and WorldLux like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by mapboyPHL
If you are feeling strong and agile with your luggage, why not the RER B to Denfert and then a taxi to Montparnasse? It will be faster (no rush hour traffic) especially if you can get a train that is non-stop to Gare du Nord. Denfert is smaller, so [relatively] easier to exit (or even get off at Port Royal or Luxembourg). Shorter taxi distance = less time waiting around after your long day/ short night of flying.
Since his routing is YVR-MUC-CDG, he's likely *A and flying into T1. To take the RER, he'll need to take the inter-terminal train first, adding a bit more time & hassle. For the taxi, he just exits the terminal (Door 24) on the baggage level. The simplicity probably results in a similar time to any combination of RER/Metro/Taxi and a lot less hassle.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:47 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I would probably avoid using roads to travel from CDG to Montparnasse on a Friday around 5PM. Three carry-ons and two suitcases for three adults would seem to be manageable on the RER. I would take the VAL from T1, switch to RER until Luxembourg and then call a G7 cab via their app to get to Montparnasse.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC one of the airport bus routes goes to Montparnasse. It will be a lot cheaper than a taxi and avoid the risk of a huge fare if traffic is bad but of course it won't save time compared to a taxi and might actually require a bit more time if there are other stops. It's also easier with luggage than the RER and metro combination, especially in rush hour.
No risk of huge fare-fares are fixed from both Paris airports.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31
I would probably avoid using roads to travel from CDG to Montparnasse on a Friday around 5PM. Three carry-ons and two suitcases for three adults would seem to be manageable on the RER. I would take the VAL from T1, switch to RER until Luxembourg and then call a G7 cab via their app to get to Montparnasse.
I disagree. By the time OP does all that, he likely could have either taken a cab or the airport bus, both with much less hassles and around the same price.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:38 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
with much less hassles and around the same price.
True. I was going for what would be IMO the fastest option at that time of the day.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31
True. I was going for what would be IMO the fastest option at that time of the day.
I think we mostly agree. My point was that heading to T1, taking the train and then a cab might save 30 minutes or so, at best. It might well save nothing or even take longer. I am a big proponent of keeping things simple when there is little given up in doing so. Classic example here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.