Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Avignon & Marseille

Avignon & Marseille

Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Avignon & Marseille

Planning a 6 day trip to the Provence at the end of June. I thought of spending 2 days in Marseille and 4 days in Avignon.
My top two things to do are visiting the Luberon to see the lavender fields and kayak under the Pont Du Gard (using Avignon as a base).

Any comments, suggestions?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Not sure exactly what one does for two days in Marseille but I would include a visit to Cassis, just to the east.

There are no shortage of possible itineraries for the Luberon and surrounding areas but I would include Uzs on any Pont du Gard visit. Other places of note: St Rmy, les Baux de Provence, and the Alpilles; Gordes, Fontaine de Vaucluse, and Isle-sur-la-Sorgue; and perhaps going a bit north to Vaison la Romaine.

For restaurant and hotel information I regularly consult the Michelin Red Guide. The Michelin Green Guide for the Luberon is excellent for driving itineraries.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Since I will be traveling solo, I am not planning to rent a car other than to drive to Collias for the kayak trip (public transport to Collias seems horrible and taxis are expensive).
You think 2 days in Marseille is too short? Suggest a longer stay, or skip it altogether?

Edit to add: I had another look at my schedule and I think I can stay a little longer in the region. For instance: 5 nights Avignon and 3 nights Marseille.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Mar 30, 2017 at 10:01 am
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Tamino
Not sure exactly what one does for two days in Marseille but I would include a visit to Cassis, just to the east.
??? Why do Parisiens hate Marseille so much? We go every year for a 3 day weekend and love the city. Sure Cassis is nice too though especially if the weather is nice.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
??? Why do Parisiens hate Marseille so much? We go every year for a 3 day weekend and love the city.
It's a ****hole of a city. Sure the city centre is nice, but everything around it is just annoying. The problems with drug trade are really bad (compared to other European cities of that size), but a tourist driving motorway in and out of Marseille wouldn't notice it. I personally prefer Nice or smaller cities along the coast.

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Since I will be traveling solo, I am not planning to rent a car other than to drive to Collias for the kayak trip (public transport to Collias seems horrible and taxis are expensive).
How do you plan getting around. Seems like a nightmare to me to travel the Provence without a car. I would rent something small and just hit the road (stop whenever you want, change plans, etc.). A small car won't be too expensive. A Twingo for a week is probably around 200$ with larger agencies and before applying any discount codes.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
How do you plan getting around. Seems like a nightmare to me to travel the Provence without a car. I would rent something small and just hit the road (stop whenever you want, change plans, etc.). A small car won't be too expensive. A Twingo for a week is probably around 200$ with larger agencies and before applying any discount codes.
I thought of signing up for tours (Viator, etc.) instead of renting a car.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:10 pm

Tad off topic, but Viator isn't really a tour operation, just a booking agency. You are usually better off booking directly with a tour, rather than using a middleman.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Cassis is a must. Rent a car and enjoy driving the area
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Silver
I'm a Parisian and I think Marseille is an excellent city. Two days is good for a first taste of the city, but you will probably want to return.

I go to the Avignon festival every July for about a week, so I know the city (at least intra muros) by heart. I find it wonderful in July, but I quickly get bored if I go there any other month, but that's just me. In any case it is an excellent base for visiting the Luberon. Some friends met me in Avignon last year when I had had enough of the festival and we went to the Pont du Gard, Saint Rmy, Les Baux, Gordes, Mont Ventoux and all though the lavender fields. It was wonderful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.