Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

hotel recommendation /paris

Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

I'll be traveling to Paris for a few days at the end of June.
i need a family friendly/safe hotel to stay for my family of 3. i dont' mind staying further out ( cheaper) with a close metro station to go sight see during the day.

we'll be checking in late the first night too as our flight lands at 10 pm, should we book a hotel near hotel then go to the city for the following few nights? we'll be traveling with a 1.5 year old toddler.

thanks !
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Firstly, I would not stay near the airport. Take a taxi, 50€ or 55€ depending upon destination, into Paris and stay there.

Secondly, it is almost impossible to make any useful hotel recommendation without your giving a budget window in euros. Staying farther out will not necessarily save you money.

Lastly, hotels in Paris are very fussy about your reserving with an exact head count. It would be a mistake to assume a hotel would allow you to check-in with a toddler unless he was included in your reservation. Its best to always state that you are a couple with a 1 year old child, just as you have done here in your question.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Tamino
Lastly, hotels in Paris are very fussy about your reserving with an exact head count. It would be a mistake to assume a hotel would allow you to check-in with a toddler unless he was included in your reservation. Its best to always state that you are a couple with a 1 year old child, just as you have done here in your question.
Sorry, but I have about a hundred reasons to disagree with you on this point. That's how many times I've shown up at a hotel in Paris with an infant or small child. There has never been an issue. IMHO it is a mistake to add a child to your reservation because someone will want to charge you more. But at check in it is never a problem.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Firstly, I would not stay near the airport. Take a taxi, 50€ or 55€ depending upon destination, into Paris and stay there.

Secondly, it is almost impossible to make any useful hotel recommendation without your giving a budget window in euros. Staying farther out will not necessarily save you money.

My budget is around 142 to 190 euros per night.

thank you !
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Sorry, but I have about a hundred reasons to disagree with you on this point. That's how many times I've shown up at a hotel in Paris with an infant or small child. There has never been an issue.
You may disagree but have you ever noticed that Accors Children stay free programs seldom if ever include their hotels in Paris? I have talked with more than one family that has had their reservation cancelled only because they showed up at their hotel with undeclared children.

Ultimately, I have only stated that to avoid any unforeseen problems, be forthright about the number of people occupying the hotel room you have reserved.

Originally Posted by jordandawg05
My budget is around 142 to 190 euros per night.
thank you !
At the upper end of your budget, there are numerous possibilities. It can be more challenging at the bottom end. Here are a few recommendations which should fit your overall budget:

Le Gnral Htel
Relais du Maris
Htel Duquesne
Htel le Walt
Htel de Saint Germain
Htel Muguet

There are also a number of hotels along or near rue Jacob in the 6th which is a relatively quiet street in an otherwise busy part of town. One example:

Htel des Marrionniers

This should at least give you an idea of costs and what to otherwise anticipate.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:30 am
Original Poster

You may disagree but have you ever noticed that Accors Children stay free programs seldom if ever include their hotels in Paris? I have talked with more than one family that has had their reservation cancelled only because they showed up at their hotel with undeclared children.

Ultimately, I have only stated that to avoid any unforeseen problems, be forthright about the number of people occupying the hotel room you have reserved.

At the upper end of your budget, there are numerous possibilities. It can be more challenging at the bottom end. Here are a few recommendations which should fit your overall budget:

Le Gnral Htel
Relais du Maris
Htel Duquesne
Htel le Walt
Htel de Saint Germain
Htel Muguet

There are also a number of hotels along or near rue Jacob in the 6th which is a relatively quiet street in an otherwise busy part of town. One example:

Htel des Marrionniers

This should at least give you an idea of costs and what to otherwise anticipate.
thank you for the recommendations ! i will check them out and read the reviews on them.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:07 pm

I stayed last year at the Hotel Sevres Saint germain and was pretty happy with it given the fanstasic location at that price. They apparently renovated the lobby over the holidays. It is definitely not fancy but the room are pretty modern and it was definitely good enough. It would be on the low end of your price point I think. It is no fuss hotel and you may want to upgrade to a larger room cause the cheapest one would be too small with a toddler.
http://www.sevres-saint-germain.com/en

Breakfast wasnt good but we always go to our fave "au pr vert" anyway so that is not a pb. (as long as you are in no hurry, service is... slow. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...de_France.html)
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
How about renting an apartment; you could find a nice studio in a great location for less than your budget. You could also get a one bedroom.
That way it is easier with meal planning and may be more comfortable for your toddler.
Hotel rooms tend to be smaller in Paris when compared to most US based chain hotels.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by keisari
How about renting an apartment;
Anyone contemplating an apartment rental in Paris should at least be familiar with the fact that short term apartment rentals are illegal in Paris. The government has allowed two exceptions to the ban:
  1. Apartments which are rented from an owner/occupant of his primary residence while he is away.
  2. Apartments which have received special dispensation from the city, of which there are currently only 112 in Paris. These apartments are typically rented for periods of not less than 7 days and are priced equivalently to upscale hotels.
The rental apartment landscape has changed in Paris over the last several years and caution should be used when entering into any apartment rental agreement.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yet Paris is the number 3 city worldwide for Airbnb apartment rentals. Funny that.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Yet Paris is the number 3 city worldwide for Airbnb apartment rentals. Funny that.
How so?

In spite of one official from the mayors office last year stating that perhaps 80% of airbnbs listings are for illegal apartments, sites such as airbnb or leboncoin are perhaps the best way to find legal rentals, albeit legal rentals represent the minority of what is offered.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
If you are landing at 10 pm with a toddler - I would certainly recommend staying near the airport the first night if your flight is long/involves time zone changes. It's been a while but there are a few basic (some with free transport) hotels nearby and there used to be one (many years ago) that was pretty much directly accessible from CDG
I'd hate to deal with a (likely) fussy, tired, toddler and all the associated luggage, etc (as well as an unfamiliar city?) after a long flight in the dark. IMHO much nicer to just get some sleep, tend to the childs needs and venture to the city next day.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I like this little place. Some of the most welcoming staff I've ever met, and close to the metro. The rooms are Paris small, though, so take that into account. Prices are usually decent for Paris.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...de_France.html

Bon chance!
Old Mar 19, 2017, 9:32 am

The Air BnB issue in Paris is far from settled. The Paris Mayor's office has asked neighbors to turn in people renting on a short term basis, and they do. Violations and fines follow. A court last month held that rentals are legal, so the grinding process contnues.

There are legitimate companies that rent apartments, and you'd think that someone spending the time and money to come to Paris would just use one of those. I should leave a few lines blank here for people to post about the great deal they got and for which there was no hassle.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
The Air BnB issue in Paris is far from settled. The Paris Mayor's office has asked neighbors to turn in people renting on a short term basis, and they do.
I have never heard the Mayor say that neighbors should turn in those renting illegal apartments. It would not really be necessary for her to say that as many residents do not want neighboring apartments turned into businesses for absentee landlords and are generally very unhappy about the constant comings and goings of strangers in their buildings.

A court last month held that rentals are legal
Somehow I missed this. Do you have a reference for this statement, perhaps a newspaper article?

There are legitimate companies that rent apartments,
Unfortunately, it is not illegal to make money renting illegal apartments as long as you do not actually own them yourself. Still, a number of businesses renting illegal apartments have closed their doors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.