Search

CDG departure - how early to get there?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Sapphire
CDG departure - how early to get there?

Hi all,
I haven't been to CDG in ages, and couldn't find anything in the Paris sticky thread, so sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.
I'm flying out of CDG sunday after next to MUC on LH - flight's at 11:50am. What with the state of emergency in France, how early would you recommend I get to the airport?

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
No need to show up very early for a medium-haul flight. 90 min before will be enough.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
If you have a general idea of where you are going and the overall airport layout and arrive already checked in for your flight, 90 minutes in advance of scheduled departure is what I do for a flight of this type.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
If you are flying coach AND need to check bags then maybe 120 minutes to be on the safe side. I think the flight leaves from Terminal 1 which even though it is ugly and outdated (think 1960's but not in a good way) it is efficient and easy to navigate.
There are a few shops - nothing special - but I am usually happy with some chocolate and a good cup of cafe.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How are you getting to CDG? IIRC the RER only goes to T2, so you need to allow extra time to get over to T1. It's not walkable.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How are you getting to CDG? IIRC the RER only goes to T2, so you need to allow extra time to get over to T1. It's not walkable.
there are 2 stops for the RER : CDG1 which serves T1 and T3 and the last stop CDG2 which serves T2. But the CDG1 stop is not exactly at T1, so you gave to take the CDGVAL from the station.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I have two 7 am flights out of CDG T2 in September. One to Spain (easyjet) and one back to Seattle via LHR (BA). Is 90 minutes enough for those flights as well? Also, if someone can help me figure out if it's worth the premium to stay at the Sheraton or stay at one of the other nearby hotels I'd appreciate the help.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I have stayed at the Ibis and Hilton which are located inside the airport
Ibis is simple and frugal. Hilton is a little better (not by much)
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Great, thanks for the response. I was thinking about the Hilton. It seems like a short trip to the terminal.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by keisari
I have stayed at the Ibis and Hilton which are located inside the airport
Ibis is simple and frugal. Hilton is a little better (not by much)
Ibis and Hilton are near Roissypole, a stop on the handy train CDGVAL. From the Roissypole Station, you can be at T1 or T3 in 10 minutes.

However, neither hotel is inside the airport. The only hotels inside the airport are the Sheraton and the new Yotel. Yotel is also inside security.
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:30 pm

Similar question: I have a mid-week 9:15am flight on UA in J back to SFO. I believe UA flies out of T1. When should I arrive to process VAT refund and buy macaroons at Laduree in T2E(?)? Of course, will need to check in luggage and clear customs/immigration.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Hijacking this as well.

So i will be flying from EWR to CDG where i will get in at 7:45am. Then i have another international flight from CDG to HER on Aegean airlines at 5:45pm.

We plan to head into Paris to peek at the eifel tower and grab lunch.

What time can we expect to get into Paris on a Thursday arriving at 7:45am? And what time should we make sure we are leaving Paris to head back to CDG?

Thanks.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by njxbean
Hijacking this as well.

So i will be flying from EWR to CDG where i will get in at 7:45am. Then i have another international flight from CDG to HER on Aegean airlines at 5:45pm.

We plan to head into Paris to peek at the eifel tower and grab lunch.

What time can we expect to get into Paris on a Thursday arriving at 7:45am? And what time should we make sure we are leaving Paris to head back to CDG?

Thanks.
It all depends how long it will take you to clear immigration, and it has become extremely long those last weeks. You can maybe expect to be downtown Paris around 10. For your return, I recommend you to leave Paris 3hrs before flight time.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Troopers
Similar question: I have a mid-week 9:15am flight on UA in J back to SFO. I believe UA flies out of T1. When should I arrive to process VAT refund and buy macaroons at Laduree in T2E(?)? Of course, will need to check in luggage and clear customs/immigration.
UA does fly out of T1, and you'll find a Laduree right at the entrance to the elevators that go to the lounges, if I recall correctly.

Others here are FAR braver than I. I arrive CDG 3 hours prior to flight time. Please note that my experiences are only with T1. The UA check-in lines can border on the absurd if you're not elite (for elites, it goes pretty quickly) plus the "real" security is at the gate, and can be a real nightmare. I always plan to be at the gate area a full hour prior to flight departure, and sometimes that seems like it's cutting it close.

With three hours, you can take your time and not be stressed, and spend some time in the excellent *A lounge. And I didn't mention the time passport control took a full hour (not during a time of crisis of any sort).

Planning a 3 hour time at CDG also allows you to have a traffic delay and still make your flight.

I'm also amused by someone's remark that T1 is laid out efficiently. Perhaps so, if you understand where things are, but to the newbie, it's an airport designed by Escher. Queues snake around in ways that boggle the mind sometimes.

For reasons unknown I actually enjoy CDG, maybe because I've got it figured out. Or maybe it's because it makes me less sad about heading home, if my last experience in France is CDG T1. :-)
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Recent reports indicate that France has stepped up passport control, even reestablishing passport checks on flights entering French airports from other Schengen countries. Some webistes have contributors writing about 2 hour plus waits at CDG immigration.

I would allow extra time at the airport; even 3 hours may not be too much time to arrive in advance of departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.