Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

First RER B to CDG at 4:53 AM, Walk to Gare du Nord from Montmartre?

Old May 26, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion

We're heading to Paris in a few weeks and hoping the strike situation doesn't cause us any trouble.

I'm not too concerned about our arrival at ORY on the 15th, as it's early afternoon and I figure we'll work something out no matter what happens. We're generally pretty flexible.

Anyway, we are staying in an AirBnB apartment very near Sacre Coeur in Montmartre. Our return flight is at 7:30 AM on the 21st. I assume that if we catch the first RER B train at 4:53 and arrive CDG Terminal 2 at 5:30, that will be fine to check in for our BA flight to LHR. My real question is whether it's safe to walk that since the Metro won't be running yet? Is the area safe to walk so early in the morning? It's me and my wife and our 2 kids (9 and 2, the 2-year-old in a stroller).

We travel light (one roller or backpack each) so luggage isn't an issue and seems that it's all downhill.

Otherwise I may pre-arrange a taxi through G7 or similar, but I am concerned about the reliability of a taxi showing up so early in the morning for a critical connection.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
For me it's a no brainer : take a taxi or a VTC. Safety is not the issue but I don't see anyone with 2 young kids, a stroller and luggages walking from Montmartre to gare du nord. This is crazy (do not take it bad of course as I understand you are coming here for advice). Taking a taxi or a VTC will also give you a significant time for more sleep and this is precious at that early time. The drive from Montmartre to CDG will take you no more than 30 min, while with your walk and the RER, we are talking about 75-90 min.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
This sounds awful, take a taxi
Old May 26, 2016, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I appreciate the advice, and that is what we will do. Thanks!
Old May 26, 2016, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I appreciate the advice, and that is what we will do. Thanks!
You are very welcome. Have a wonderful time in Paris
Old May 26, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
You are very welcome. Have a wonderful time in Paris
We're looking forward to it. My daughter (9) is very excited as she has decided that Paris is her favorite city even before we've gone there. I just hope the current strike situation doesn't affect us too much...
Old May 26, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Glad that you will take a taxi... Awful to walk at 4ish, even if it is very safe.

As for the strike... it will be resolved by then, but you will be facing the mess of euro 16.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:07 pm

We've used Taxi G7 several times (6 or 7) for our return trip to CDG, and once to Orly. They have an impeccable reputation and, in fact, are usually about 10 minutes early, even at 4-5 am! They have an English speaking line:+331.41.27.66.99. One can also reserve on-line. I usually call 1-2 days in advance, and would especially recommend a couple of days early if there is still strike action or gas shortages happening at the time.

Happy Travels to you--and I hope Paris lives up to your daughter's dreams. It's my favorite city, too!
TVQ
Old May 26, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
I wouldn´t even consider walking from Montmartre with a family of 4 at that time of night. Just to avoid any surprises, a taxi will charge you a flat 50€ for the trip to CDG and 7€ for the reservation. A 05h00 pickup should give you plenty of time.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
You know the check in deadline for BA is 90 minutes before the flight. Or if you are not checking bags, it is 40 minutes before the flight. No need to arrive super early.
Old May 27, 2016, 11:04 pm

I am not sure about the RER fares for children. However, OP could just book a timed, advance taxi reservation with the taxi company G7 and go by can to CDG for a fixed price of 57€. A few more euros, a lot less hassles.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; May 27, 2016 at 11:31 pm
Old May 28, 2016, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Le Cab is much better, and cheaper, than G7.
Old May 28, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Le Cab is much better, and cheaper, than G7.
Exactly how much cheaper in euros?
Old May 28, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tamino
Exactly how much cheaper in euros?
Go to https://www.lecab.fr/ and see for yourself.

But I plugged in the OP's route and it comes to €48. So €9 less than the G7 post above.
Old May 28, 2016, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Go to https://www.lecab.fr/ and see for yourself.
I am not the person suggesting this service. I would have no reason to bet my making a flight with a VTC vs. a legitimate taxi. Evidence to the contrary, I would recommend a taxi Parisien, with thousands of taxis upon which one might rely, vs. any unknown entity.

The only company, other than taxi, that I personally would recommend, having used them on numerous occasions, is Navendis:

http://www.navendis.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.