Wiki Posts
Search

Amex in France

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta and Hilton Diamond
Amex in France

Hey all...I've heard some conflicting things about merchants accepting AMEX in France. Can anyone share their thoughts based on recent experience? My AMEX card has no fees and a good rate so I'd like to use it as exclusively as possible on my recent trip.

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
A lot of places will accept AMEX - especially hotels and many restaurants. But some smaller shops very well may not. Just make sure you have backups especially if you intend to do a bit of shopping.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:38 pm

I agree with the prior post, but I would phrase it the other way. Hotels and major stores like BHV take Amex. But many day to day stores and local restaurants do not. Amex' usability in France, and many other countries, is not nearly as broad as within the US, where a merchant not taking Amex is an exception.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Be especially cautious with foreign transaction fees with AMEX; my experience is $3.50 per each purchase. I'd recommend shopping around for a card with either zero or very low transaction fees. It may even be worth setting up a special-purpose bank account with Schwab Bank, which has the added advantage of no-fee ATM withdrawals worldwide. You can then use their ATM access card as a debit card (Visa, as I recall) for fee-free purchasing.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: SK EB Gold *G, LH M&M FT *S, LeClubAccor Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Hi, I used my Amex for most of transaction in Paris in the middle of May. Generally, all the big shops, hotels, and restaurants accept Amex. But small shop (usually souvenir shops) dont accept Amex.
Old May 12, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I guess my experience is a little bit different. I just returned from a week in Paris and Bordeaux, and tried to use my Amex probably 10-15 times and not once was it accepted. I did not use it for hotels, but many times at restaurants and shops, both big and small. I just used my visa or mastercard instead.
Old May 13, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Distilled
I guess my experience is a little bit different. I just returned from a week in Paris and Bordeaux, and tried to use my Amex probably 10-15 times and not once was it accepted. I did not use it for hotels, but many times at restaurants and shops, both big and small. I just used my visa or mastercard instead.
In general the smaller and more interesting restaurants and shops don't accept Amex. If you're depending on using Amex you're going to miss out on many of the best experiences in France.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Be especially cautious with foreign transaction fees with AMEX; my experience is $3.50 per each purchase. I'd recommend shopping around for a card with either zero or very low transaction fees. It may even be worth setting up a special-purpose bank account with Schwab Bank, which has the added advantage of no-fee ATM withdrawals worldwide. You can then use their ATM access card as a debit card (Visa, as I recall) for fee-free purchasing.
Whaaa??? Is that a US account thing? I was using my SPG Amex there last month and was definitely not hit with a $3.50 per purchase fee.

And to the OP, if you bring Amex you will without question need an alternative form of payment, whether it be VISA/MC or cash.

It seemed like only larger "corporate" merchants (chain stores, hotels, restaurants, etc.) accept Amex over there... mom and pop outfits quite often don't.
Old May 17, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA Mileage Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Distilled
I just returned from Paris and I can say that many many places do not accept Amex. The bigger places like hotels do. Make sure you bring other cards and preferably one with a chip.
Old May 24, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by newbie88
I just returned from Paris and I can say that many many places do not accept Amex.
This was my experience as well. Generally bigger retailers (i.e. chains) would accept Amex, but smaller businesses would not.

This was true in Paris & in Normandy.
Old May 25, 2014, 9:13 am

Had problems with the exit toll machines on the autoroutes not taking American CC's. Don't remember if it was Amex or Visa. This is was a bad situation since other cars back up behind you and they all have to pull out.

Any more info on this?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
You can use your amex to buy tickets for the metro or the trains at the CDG station, but few if any other metro stations.

I always ask at smaller stores and restaurants but know that rarely will it be accepted.

Paris is one of the few places I visit where I still keep cash on me at all times, just in case I make my way to Berthillon...
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by ente_09
Had problems with the exit toll machines on the autoroutes not taking American CC's. Don't remember if it was Amex or Visa. This is was a bad situation since other cars back up behind you and they all have to pull out.

Any more info on this?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...-mc-paris.html

Lots of other posts on this over the years. Try searching "Chip and pin" and "Chip and Sign".
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓

Any more info on this?
As the above poster mentioned, the problem is not your US credit card, it's your lack of a true chip and pin card, which is needed at most automated payment places (gas pumps, tolls, ticket machines, etc).
Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I've had problems getting autoroute toll machines to take my UK Chip&Pin card, so it may not be the American bit at fault, just simply not being French!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.