Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Restaurant Dinner Opening Times in France

Old May 13, 2012, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

How late do restaurants open usually in France? I have been to France approximately 10 times, but that was 10-15 years ago, when I used to eat dinner quite early. I will be returning to Paris on holiday in a few months and was wondering what the dinner closing times are. Are restaurants open late like in Spain? When I was in Madrid, I was eating dinner around 22h00-00h00, so I was wondering if this would be possible in Paris?
Old May 13, 2012, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Depends on the type of restaurant and to some extent its location. The brasserie and similar will likely be open late but some family-run traditional places will be more strict. IME it's easier to get a late reservation in a very popular/currently fashionable place but YMMV.
Old May 14, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Most restaurants in Paris are open for dinner beginning at 19h. It shouldn't be hard at all to dine at 22h. Any later would be a bit hit and miss, but there should be a number of options til about 23h.
Old May 14, 2012, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Michelin and Gault Millault have information on which Paris restaurants are open late, on Sunday, etc.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
France is nowhere near as late as Spain for dinner hours. Most restaurants open for dinner at 8, reach their peak at 9-930, and do the last seating at 10 or 1030. After 1030 there will be only a scattered number of places with the opportunity to dine.
Old May 17, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by menton1
France is nowhere near as late as Spain for dinner hours. Most restaurants open for dinner at 8, reach their peak at 9-930, and do the last seating at 10 or 1030. After 1030 there will be only a scattered number of places with the opportunity to dine.
This is correct. 8pm is considered the early seating in most locations. If you show up at 7-7:30 you're likely eating with the restaurant staff (no kidding).

Summer months have Parisians a bit time-shifted to later dinner hours. In Paris dinner seatings can run to midnight at the more popular places particularly on Thursdays-Saturdays.

There are lots of online booking sites for Paris like http://www.lafourchette.com/ to help you out.
Old May 30, 2012, 2:11 am

Programs: QF, HH
Myself and a friend walked from the Eiffel Tower, one evening, to the restaurant "Roger le Grenouille" where we had dinner. It was probably about 10:30pm by the time we even arrived, and they seemed quite happy to serve us.

On another note, I do recommend that restaurant simply for its delightful atmosphere (though there are of course numerous other reasons).
Old May 30, 2012, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a major meal in france takes 4 hrs. i have most always been seated at 8pm 2000, to finish at 2400( midnite)
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:58 am

As others have said, in Paris you should not have a problem.

But be careful in more rural areas. I remember a long weekend in the Prigord during which we got "kitchen is closed" at 9pm in several restaurants - so we had to eat in a cheap pizza place. (Those that know the Prigord will realise the horror in this...)
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:40 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
As a contrast for dining hours, before Norway became a big tourist attraction, (since most people ended their work day at 4pm), restaurants opened at 4 pm and were (in general) closed by 6 pm. So if you wanted to dine at 6:30 pm, you were left with fast food places.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
You can always finesse the issue by looking for "non-stop" restaurants, mostly on the casual side but not necessarily fast food joints. Major "places" (multi-avenue intersections) and railway station areas usually have big brasseries with extended hours.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in the smaller restaurants in smaller towns, one may even have to book in advance, as they only purchase enough for each diner. at these places, both lunch and dinner start at a specific time. do not come across these places often, but if you do, and you did not call, you end up at the restaurant in the train station.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.