CDG to Bayeux

Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
CDG to Bayeux

Arrive 5:45 am at CDG on Sept 22nd. 3 total people and would like to get to Bayeux by noon. Check into hotel, shower, and change after a long flight.

From there we are going to either rent a car or hire a driver to hit Mont St. Michel for the afternoon and return that evening.

Questions:
1. How do we get from CDG to Bayeux as easily as possible?
2. Links to train schedules that are needed?

Thanks.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
You need to get to Gare ST Lazare. You can get there by taxi, or if there are budget restraints it is a quick ride on the RER-- take the "B" line to Gare du Nord and change to the "E" line to St Lazare.

Here is the SNCF site:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

Looks like a 2 hour ride to Bayeux, if the timing suits you, you won't have to change trains at Caen.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:12 pm

I agree with the post above-plan to go to Gare St. Lazare and take a train from there. Renting a car is a much bigger hassle, especially on jet lag.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Thank you to everyone for your advice. FYI we arrived at around 6 am and out train didn't leave until 10 am for Bayeux from Gare St. Lazare. We took a taxi to the Eiffel tower and traffic is terrible from CDG to downtown that time of day I learned. It took us a good hour to get there by taxi and about 80 euros. There were 3 of us with a carry on luggage.

We took picture and then walked to the Arc De Triumph and took a picture and it was about 8:40 and we had to get to Gare St. Lazare. Taxi's in Paris are very hard to get we found out. We waited at a taxi stand until about 9:15 and only 2 had come and we were behind 2 other people in line.

We decided to start walking which was about 3 miles I would say or so. It was about 9:40 and we were about half way there it seemed when a taxi dropped someone off right in front of where we were and luckily we grabbed that taxi, which took us there and with 10 minutes to spare I printed out tickets and we were in first class.

I thought there was some type of snack or meal available in this class but there wasn't even anything to purchase. Is this common? I could have sworn that it said something about food and beverage would be available when booking on the tickets.

BTW I called up the US phone number to get all my questions answered and purchased them over the phone and had to pay a small booking fee but being my first time with rail traffic in France I was glad I did.

We arrived and had a great experience there.

Upon departure again no beverage or food, but we ate at the little diner at the foot of the train station entrance.

On both trips we had first class in the 4 seats that had a table in the middle and both times people were already sitting in our seats. It appears people don't pay attention to where they are actually seated in the car and it is first come first served for seating. Both times we instructed the people those were our seats as there were 3 of us and it facilitated good conversation.

We arrived at Gare st. Lazare and waited in line for another taxi for 30 plus minutes to get to CDG airport.

Overall great advice in this thread and we appreciated everyone's input.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:38 pm

The best advice on trains in Europe is found on the great rail website Seat 61.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.