Pariscope Magazine, good and bad

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:17 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Pariscope Magazine, good and bad

For anyone visiting Paris, there are two weekly publications Une Semaine de Paris and Pariscope, which give info about happenings in and around Paris, they have movie timetables (and reviews), Museum, Theater, Concert, restaurant info etc. I think they both cost 0.40EU. The last time I was in Paris, I purchased Pariscope, and since the Metro plays a big part in the city's transportation, most of the info also lists the nearest Metro stop--which in many cases is inaccurate, one example of many: The Cinematheque Francaise (showing many different films each day, many classics) located at 51 Rue de Bercy lists Gare de Lyon as the closest metro stop; while The Cinematheque Musuee, located at the same address lists Bercy as the closest Metro stop. Trying to get to that location if you exit at Gare de Lyon Metro, is almost a 2 mile walk.
These two publications are super useful for navigating Paris culture and entertainment, but double check Metro info they provide.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
It's always a good idea to verify recommended Metro stops against a map. With many Metro lines you can often save steps by getting off at a stop that's supposedly further from your destination because you save distance underground in the transfer. And sometimes, as in this instance, listings simply give the wrong stop, who knows why.

Originally Posted by nrr
For anyone visiting Paris, there are two weekly publications Une Semaine de Paris and Pariscope, which give info about happenings in and around Paris, they have movie timetables (and reviews), Museum, Theater, Concert, restaurant info etc. I think they both cost 0.40EU. The last time I was in Paris, I purchased Pariscope, and since the Metro plays a big part in the city's transportation, most of the info also lists the nearest Metro stop--which in many cases is inaccurate, one example of many: The Cinematheque Francaise (showing many different films each day, many classics) located at 51 Rue de Bercy lists Gare de Lyon as the closest metro stop; while The Cinematheque Musuee, located at the same address lists Bercy as the closest Metro stop. Trying to get to that location if you exit at Gare de Lyon Metro, is almost a 2 mile walk.
These two publications are super useful for navigating Paris culture and entertainment, but double check Metro info they provide.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
For movie timetables, you should download the allociné app: very convenient (in French only)

For museums and cultural events, you might buy
- Figaroscope (Paris cultural events and restaurants, free with Wednesday Figaro paper) - in French
- Télérama (with very good selection of cultural events in Paris in Sortir à Paris section)

Both of them are for free online: (in French)
http://scope.lefigaro.fr/guide/
http://sortir.telerama.fr/
Old Sep 4, 2011, 7:42 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nicolas75
For movie timetables, you should download the allociné app: very convenient (in French only)

For museums and cultural events, you might buy
- Figaroscope (Paris cultural events and restaurants, free with Wednesday Figaro paper) - in French
- Télérama (with very good selection of cultural events in Paris in Sortir à Paris section)

Both of them are for free online: (in French)
http://scope.lefigaro.fr/guide/
http://sortir.telerama.fr/
The big plus for Une Semaine de Paris and Pariscope is (1) the 0.40EU price, (2) you can carry them in your pocket (especially the case if you don't have immediate access to the internet).
Do these others have metro errors also?
Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:08 pm

I haven't found Metro errors to be common in Pariscope but maybe I've been lucky, or maybe I usually know which Metro station is closest to where I am going.

Pariscope is good and vital, as far as it goes. However, it gives no editorial on any events, exhibitions or sites, just facts of what's there. It also makes no attempt to list what events are sold out, or how to get tickets for events, other than via the box office. It also often lists an event at a venue as the only event of the week when there are many other events at the same venue. i don't know how it is assembled but it looks like it justs lists whatever a venue or promoter sends in.

Once I went to a small museum to see a show listed in Pariscope as having several weeks to run and it had already closed. Six months later, I saw it listed again and I went back to the museum and they said it was another mistake. Fool me twice.........

It is normally a pretty good resource for museums and exhibitions, less so for live events and much less so for clubs. I use it as a starting place to find places of interest, then I hit the internet to get the full scoope.

Other good resources are the previously mentioned Fiagroscope, which ia also online in part, which has good editorial advice, and also La Nouvelle Observateur, a French Weekly magazine that comes out on Thursday and lists critics suggestions on top events.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.