Wiki Posts
Search

November in Provence

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2011, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
November in Provence

Hello, I am thinking about booking an award ticket to CDG, spending a couple days in Paris and then heading down to Provence (Avignon or Aix, which do you think is better?) on the TGV for three or four days. I only have a week because of work constraints. Paris is not my concern for weather because there is always something to do but Provence is a question mark. I have only been there in the summer. Has anyone experienced Provence (Avignon/Aix area) in November (would be approximately Nov. 8-16)? Is the weather "okay"? I know weather is impossible to predict but I would like to get a general idea. Merci!
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I hope November is too early for the Mistral - that bit of nasty weather can be a real issue.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
November is hit or miss;
It is milder the closer you get the the sea

I would plan to layer clothes so you can peel off a layer as the day gets warmer and then put them back as the sun sets.
Days tend to be much shorter in November (compared to the summer) but some people claim the sunlight is nicer and makes for nice pictures.
It will most likely rain so bring rain gear.

I like Aix; the center is very nice, walkable with tons of restaurants and places to hang out and relax.
Was not impressed with Avignon. Dirty, crowded center and not very appealing.

I like the smaller towns - Arles, St. Remy, Isle sur la Sourge but you really need a car to travel between them.

I know Lyon is not really Provence but it is an option especially if the weather is really bad; Lyon is a mini-Paris but much quieter, less traffic, less crowds but with some of the best food around (people claim it is closer to the source and that is why it is better).

I have rented a car in Lyon and drove around Provence for 4 days, leaving out of Marseilles. It was in spring and it happen to be perfect weather. I like the area off season
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:52 pm

The GF and I were in Beaucaire/Comps area (near Avignon), staying in a rented stone farmhouse in early October. The Mistral started up relatively early that year and it was so COLD we eventually had to get out of there and head to the Riviera. When that wind blows, you really feel it. Up to 90 mph and chilling. I recall it once blew an unattended freight train 20+ miles along it's track before they were finally able to stop it. Guess they forgot to set the brakes.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we have been there a few times around thanksgiving. Mistral has always been there.

it is also game season.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I lived in the south for a couple years and one year was warm, the other cold. However during the day time it will surely be nice enough to be out and about.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
At this time of year, you might consider Nice, it's invariably quite sunny, and it's an easy place to get around without a car, and is right on the sea. The TGV does go there now, about 5 hours from Paris, or a quick 45 minute flight.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
Originally Posted by menton1
At this time of year, you might consider Nice, it's invariably quite sunny, and it's an easy place to get around without a car, and is right on the sea. The TGV does go there now, about 5 hours from Paris, or a quick 45 minute flight.
I never even thought about Nice; that is a great idea. However, I really do prefer to be in the Aix region. Looks like I should think about going to Provence in spring when the Mistral will not even be in the equation. Thanks all for your input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.