Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Another CDG layover thread - but but early morning...

Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star

Traveling C/J on AF07 but thinking of standing by on AF23 which arrives @ 6:00 A.M.

Departing on C/J SQ333 @11:15 A.M.

Got the parents along who have never been to Paris/France. So I've got 5 hours, but its early morning and I'm concerned that nothing will be open (except for getting bread...yum). I've got to change terminals anyways, so that is going to kill time, but then again I'll have lounge access.

Any thoughts of running into Paris on the RER at the early hour just to get a group photo shoot at the Effiel Tower or just run out to Roissy and get real croissants?

Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
If all flights are on time you could walk out, get a taxi to take you to the city, drive around, have your group picture wherever you want and then drive you back to CDG. My guess is it will cost 150 euros or so.
If you come on the weekend, it is much better. During the week, traffic starts early and getting into and out of the city will cut down on the time you have.
You could also ask the driver to stop at a cafe for a few minutes; order a cafe au lait and a croissant.

By the way, there are also great breads and croissant at the airport but it is not quite the same.

I would not do this with the RER. Too many connections and stops.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
I'll be there on a Friday morning.

In Chicago, Monday and Friday morning traffic is lighter. Friday afternoon traffic between Chicago and Chicago airport is horrible.

How is it for Paris and CDG?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: ROP G, QR G
If you leave the airport before 7 you should be OK, 30-45mns to go downtown, but over 1 hour if you leave around 8 is standard. Coming back at 9... that's during the rush hour although on the way to the airport once you reach the highway the traffic is much better. I would count 2 hours in the car for both ways to play safe, and more if you get delayed at the airport in the morning. Most cafes will be open once you reach town so croissants are a safe bet. Actually the taxi tour sounds like a decent option (it's abt 50 E 1 way including standard traffic jams and 50-80euros extra will allow you a tour downtown. And downtown with car in Paris is *very* scenic if the driver doesn't have you stuck in some small streets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.