Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

The French skiing thread

Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bodory
The ski areas will be busiest during French school holidays - other times of year will be quieter (and cheaper). France is divided up into 3 zones for the purposes of school holidays. The vacation dates for the 3 zones are staggered over 4 weeks, with each zone getting two weeks off.

Zone A : Besançon, Bordeaux, Clermont-Ferrand, Dijon, Grenoble, Limoges, Lyon, Poitiers
Zone B : Aix-Marseille, Amiens, Caen, Lille, Nancy-Metz, Nantes, Nice, Orléans-Tours, Reims, Rennes, Rouen, Strasbourg
Zone C : Créteil, Montpellier, Paris, Toulouse, Versailles

2020:
Feb 8 - Feb 28: Zone C
Feb 15 - Mar 1: Zone B
Feb 22 - Mar 8: Zone A
Print Wikipost

The French skiing thread

Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Waiting for the French Kissing thread
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many
The snow is there !
Old Nov 3, 2009, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Courchevel :
- Sunday morning (7:30 am local time) : pic

- Tuesday morning in Courchevel (7:30 am local time) : pic
Old Nov 3, 2009, 3:41 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by bodory
Courchevel :
- Sunday morning (7:30 am local time) : pic

- Tuesday morning in Courchevel (7:30 am local time) : pic
Induire son prochain en tentation n'est pas charitable

Many thanks for the pictures. I wish I could be there right now.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JOUY31
Induire son prochain en tentation n'est pas charitable

Many thanks for the pictures. I wish I could be there right now.
I have planned to be there as usual on the first week end of December (opening week end), providing there is enough snow. Tickets to LYS are booked.

Hopefully it will be as great as the 2 past years when we were able to take the Chenus gondola just before sunset (4 pm) on the opening Saturday, then down alone to the closed La Tania resort within 50 cm of fresh snow on the season-virgin slopes.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by bodory
I have planned to be there as usual on the first week end of December (opening week end), providing there is enough snow. Tickets to LYS are booked.

Hopefully it will be as great as the 2 past years when we were able to take the Chenus gondola just before sunset (4 pm) on the opening Saturday, then down alone to the closed La Tania resort within 50 cm of fresh snow on the season-virgin slopes.
I was also in the 3V (in Val Thorens) at the same time the last 2 years, definitely one the best period to go there ^
But i will miss the opening season this year...(will be in South America, not too bad !!)
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Val Thorens to open 1 week earlier than scheduled

Val Thorens will open one week earlier than scheduled. It will open on this Saturday, the 14th November.

The recent snow falls have created an good base layer. There are currently 55cm of fresh snow at resort level (2300m) and 85cm at 3200m.

This Saturday the Funitel Peclet, two chairlifts and two draglifts will be open, giving access to 10 pistes. The lifts will open at 08:45 and run all day until 16:45. A reduced price lift pass will be on sale at 21€ for adults for the day and 17€ for children aged between five and 12 years.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Our Swiss cousins have better luck than us :
- Glacier 3000 is open since October 24
- Verbier has opened on November 7th, on the "Lac des Vaux" area
- some areas in Flims Laax Falera, Diavolezza and Davos (GR) are open
- Gemsstock area in Andermatt (UR) as well
Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:08 am
iff

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Chiche!

Old Nov 19, 2009, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by iff
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Chiche!

New thread > Topic : the French kissing thread

Not that hard
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:47 am

Programs: ROP G, QR G
What are the best options to see a lot of snow when travelling over a week end from Paris by train ? We don't intend to ski actually, but relax in a chalet or comfy hotel and have the kid discover the snowy mountain landscape ?

Cheers
Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:03 am
Original Poster

What is your budget and when do you wish to travel?
Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:34 am
Original Poster

The closest (on a time basis) ski resorts to Paris are Les 2 Alpes and l'Alpe d'Huez with the TGV train to Grenoble. But they are not the most charming ones (despite some recent improvements).

Meribel is not that far with the TGV to Moutiers Salins (a little over 4 hours ride + 30 minutes of car) and is much more charming.

However, if you intend not to ski, I would suggest a smaller ski resort in Haute Savoie, like le Grand Bornand. Megeve is also a charming option but upscale then expensive.

Nevertheless bear in mind that the snow could easily be missing in small resorts that are often located below the altitude of 1000 meters. To make "sure" the snow is there at your door, I would recommend not to stay under 1500/1800 meters.

If you would like to stay a week end, avoid French school holidays (at least Parisian zones) at all costs given the crowd and the rental/hotel prices. Also, for a week end stay, an hotel is a much more convenient solution.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: ROP G, QR G
Thanks for all this info Bodory,

I've just checked and it seems to be a trip of at least 7 hours all the way to Meribel (5.30hours with train than some more with bus). Megeve is even further. Too much I'm afraid for a week end escape.

l'Alpe d'Huez seems to be closer indeed, although I would rather stay in a resort on the posh side (budget around 500/night for accomodation only), but going to le grand Bornand takes the same time (all according to the sncf website). I can check if they have snow beginning of next week to go there the following week end. I've just googled the name and some very nice pics came up ! Do you have any advice on where to stay there ?

We won't have a private car so a station where it's easy to get around by foot would be better, (or bus or taxi ?)
Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

The snow is actually missing, as you may see on that picture taken today at 4:30 pm in Courchevel : http://livecam.courchevel.com/croise...123_163000.jpg

Basically, the best moments to maximize your chance of getting a lot of snow without too many people are January and March.

As for the train to Méribel, snow TGVs start riding on the 18th of December, the day before French holidays. There is for example a TGV leaving Paris at 4:10 pm arriving in Moutiers at 8:19 pm.

If you prefer staying in Megeve, where the après-ski is very enjoyable, there are several hotels there. You could check that link : http://www.megeve.com/uk/hiver/le-gu...d_typeObject=2

Trains to Megeve stop in Sallanches but the journey lasts at least 5 hours and a half before the car/bus ride.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.