Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

The new rule book is here! The new rule book is here! [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist

...and we're nobody! (apologize to those who don't catch the old movie reference)

People, I have seen the changes with my own eyes. There's a little bit good, and a whole lotta bad.

Brace yourselves. Here's a preview:

The good:
- New award bucket reserved for elites (no idea about availability, though it says "on certain flights") with a 15% miles surcharge - i.e., 115% of a "classic" award
- Access to certain "extra legroom seats" for elites touted as a new benefit on both AF and KL (dunno if this is different from Seat Choice or not)

The bad:
- No more F awards unless you're elite
- COS bonus in business class going to a 125-150-175% amount based on booking class (Z gets screwed here)
- Reduced mileage earning on most economy fares - only B and S earn 100%, others are on a 25-50-75 scale
- F awards skyrocketing in price (the example I saw was 400,000 miles for CDG-PEK return)

Changes effective 1 April
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:02 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by alanw
Reduced mileage earning on most economy fares - only B and S earn 100%, others are on a 25-50-75 scale
:-o

For me this is the worst change. Are they serious?!?!?! This programme just keeps getting worse and worse.

Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:04 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
The bad:
No problem at all with this one.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:06 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Flying Blue Platinum, Executive Club nobody, Hilton Gold, Sol Melia MAS Gold
This is not good at all.
I hope that they will not get rid of the 200% milage medium haul for tempo challenge.
I wish they would give more than 100% of status miles for full fare long haul temp tix...but i guess they want us to feel lucky to even have 100%
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:08 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
no changes to thresholds yet though ?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
A new rule book, which is not available to most of us, taking effect in just over 11 weeks - can they be serious?

I made my April booking under the old rules. Will it be protected? Er, excuse me -
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:14 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
- F awards skyrocketing in price (the example I saw was 400,000 miles for CDG-PEK return)
Which confirms what have already been posted here and totally not denied by AF at the last meeting. I find it rather odd that they're interested in reducing the outstanding number of miles for accountancy reason, and yet make it very unappealing to use miles for first class. It would be 3 times the price in miles of a J ticket, and they'd lose much more if people used to spend miles to fly in p started to fly three times in J...

Unless they want to really improve their onboard product in the same vein of the improvements made to the ground service at CDG, which could certainly be a good thing, but it would really need to be exceptionnal to justify this price. And probably not the best year to pull it off...
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:24 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31
No problem at all with this one.
I have to say I admire your positivity and optimism.

I fear I am lapsing into frequent flyer induced depression myself.

A case of the Flying Blues perhaps...
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:13 am

Programs: MileagePlus GS
If these developments are true and the implementation of the reduction of Level Miles based on fare class goes into effect in April I cannot wait to see how AF/KL attempt to market it as:

*A new enhancement to the FB program;

*Something our most cherished customers have been wanting;

*A simpler earning structure providing the reliability/clarity we are so well known for;

*The succesor of our world wide successfull Seat Choice launch, providing the customer with the option of paying for more service, as in this case 100% Level Miles.

*Our customers want the ability to chose, and now we offer a transparent price and level mile structure to suit your flying needs.

My biggest surprise is that this "enhancement" has not come sooner.

Let the exodus begin!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:17 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
For F, it depends if the A class totally disappears or if it is not bookable for "normal price" awards. If one cannot book normal F award, it could mean that F can be flown with paid tickets or as upgrade from J, which is not that bad: regular J passengers, that bring revenues, have more chances to use their miles for upgrade. If however the A bucket totally disappears, it means that there is no chance to fly F reasonable ( = without paying for F).
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by texas gold
Let the exodus begin!
Where, as far as Europe is concerned? OK+ ?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:36 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Reduced mileage earning on most economy fares - only B and S earn 100%, others are on a 25-50-75 scale
Wow, talk about alienating your customers!

Don't think there is much point about changing to another program, KLM/AF will most probably adjust their levels there as well.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:43 am

Programs: MileagePlus GS
Originally Posted by ranskis
Where, as far as Europe is concerned? OK+ ?
Hop over to Star Alliance or One World. AMS/CDG are two centrally located airports and just about every major player flies through these two hubs.

Maybe LH or CO?
Maybe BA or AA?

It might not be the most logistically comfortable choice, an increase in connecting flights for example, but maybe not.

I would prefer to switch planes in any other airport in the world as long as I never have to set foot in CDG.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:47 am

it is published on FB website now, including this:

Les barèmes des primes aériennes reflètent également mieux les tarifs et la souplesse du billet. Ainsi, le nombre de Miles-Prime nécessaires pour une prime dépendra du niveau de flexibilité ou de services que vous recherchez. Par exemple, une Prime Classic en Classe Affaires requerra deux fois plus de Miles-Prime qu’une Prime Classic en Classe Economique.
J classic award will require 2 times the miles of a Y classic award... it used to be 50% more.

but of course, the changes are there to reward more AF most loyal customers:

Le programme de fidélité aérien Flying Blue s’attache à récompenser ses clients actifs
they don't reward them more, they reward them less lesser than the others!

http://www.flyingbluenews.com/news/2..._evoluent.html
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:55 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by texas gold
If these developments are true and the implementation of the reduction of Level Miles based on fare class goes into effect in April I cannot wait to see how AF/KL attempt to market it as:

*A new enhancement to the FB program;

*Something our most cherished customers have been wanting;

*A simpler earning structure providing the reliability/clarity we are so well known for;

*The succesor of our world wide successfull Seat Choice launch, providing the customer with the option of paying for more service, as in this case 100% Level Miles.

*Our customers want the ability to chose, and now we offer a transparent price and level mile structure to suit your flying needs.

My biggest surprise is that this "enhancement" has not come sooner.

Let the exodus begin!
Here we go (taken from the announcement on http://www.flyingbluenews.com/news/2...hanging.html):

*a better connection is made between the fare paid, the ticket conditions and the number of Miles earned

*The redemption scheme now also better reflects fares and the flexibility of the ticket

*Flying Blue is determined to offer you a range of advantages

*easy access and attractive offers for every traveller

*rediscover all your advantages

They also link to an interview with the management regarding these changes, but of course the link does not work (http://www.flyingbluenews.com/ref/c590e5/).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.