Promo Awards Nov-Dec 2013

Old Oct 24, 2013, 5:07 am

Programs: Many
I would add (4) : quickly empty FFP accounts and reduce group's liabilities.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by bodory
I would add (4) : quickly empty FFP accounts and reduce group's liabilities.
While I agree that all airlines most likely want to keep the outstanding balance of miles to a minimum, they have reduced their liabilities indeed, but not in the way you suggest!

By vastly increasing the number of miles necessary for redemptions, they have, at a stroke, reduced their liability by reducing the purchasing power of the outstanding balances.

Offering discounts such as via the PromoAwards certainly does entice people to spend their balance - but for existing members who remember the old rates from a few months ago, suddenly being asked now to pay an amount of miles for Premium Voyageur that a few months ago would instead have almost got you a Business seat, it doesn't really entice one to spend as much as it used to (or, only in a perverse way - if I don't burn my balance now, I'm going to get shafted again by a further future devaluation!).

I would previously have never dreamed of redeeming miles except on PromoAwards - which puts me in a dilemma now, as the new Promo Award levels are comparable to the old "regular" redemption levels, so my miles are therefore almost unspendable!!!!

To be honest, I think that Amex MR transferees are the main customers for Promo Awards now. They've not had to earn Flying Blue miles the hard way, and with no long-standing affiliation with AFKL, they may not even be aware that the redemption amounts have just gone up. But they're still being driven here by the blogs who tell them it's a good deal.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:35 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Originally Posted by irishguy28
To be honest, I think that Amex MR transferees are the main customers for Promo Awards now. They've not had to earn Flying Blue miles the hard way, and with no long-standing affiliation with AFKL, they may not even be aware that the redemption amounts have just gone up. But they're still being driven here by the blogs who tell them it's a good deal.
The last 200k miles I've had were because of my expenses on AMEX. I'm well aware of the redemptions amount having gone up. Problem is that I have a FB AMEX and that the French AMEX s*cks big time in terms of redemption with other partners.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
French AMEX s*cks big time in terms of redemption with other partners.
I know that European Amex holders earn MRs less quickly than, say, their US counterparts (1€ > 1$, so you have to spend more in Europe to earn the same as a US member), while the transfer rates are usually far more beneficial for US members, who also seem to get frequent bonus offers for transfers, etc.

Is this what you mean, or are French Amex MR cards restricted in even MORE ways, such as certain partners not accepting transfers from French cards??? Or do you mean that you can't participate in MR when you have the Flying Blue card (which is why I ditched my FB Amex several years back. Even though the "earning" may be slower with a regular Amex, the ability to transfer to a multitude of partners is far more beneficial than being stuck with FB miles only).
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:56 am

Is this what you mean, or are French Amex MR cards restricted in even MORE ways, such as certain partners not accepting transfers from French cards??? Or do you mean that you can't participate in MR when you have the Flying Blue card (which is why I ditched my FB Amex several years back. Even though the "earning" may be slower with a regular Amex, the ability to transfer to a multitude of partners is far more beneficial than being stuck with FB miles only).
- Yes it's what I mean
- Very few partners accept the French AMEX as redemption options, I wouldn't be able to transfer to LH or TK or TG or EK for instance
- Having a FB Amex limits it to basically Accor or Flying Blue + a few other useless programs
Old Oct 24, 2013, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

- Very few partners accept the French AMEX as redemption options, I wouldn't be able to transfer to LH or TK or TG or EK for instance
- Having a FB Amex limits it to basically Accor or Flying Blue + a few other useless programs
I wasn't aware of that. Ouch.

Given your name, why not take out a Luxembourg-issued card? Or are they subject to the same/similar restrictions?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 7:26 am

Given your name, why not take out a Luxembourg-issued card? Or are they subject to the same/similar restrictions?
Worse... no AMEX in Luxembourg

The country that has one of the banking infrastructure in the world doesn't offer AMEX programs, just amazing.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had no idea!!!

Perhaps a German Amex would have been better then. Or Belgian!!!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: Many
(or, only in a perverse way - if I don't burn my balance now, I'm going to get shafted again by a further future devaluation!).
That is precisely my thought.

I would previously have never dreamed of redeeming miles except on PromoAwards - which puts me in a dilemma now, as the new Promo Award levels are comparable to the old "regular" redemption levels, so my miles are therefore almost unspendable!!!!
QED : they will necessarily reduce their liabilities at the end because either we will have spent our miles or the remaining ones will have pretty much been devaluated.

Being a rational person, I do prefer spend my miles at current (promo) award ratio than keeping them waiting for a better ratio that is very unlikely to happen.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by bodory
Being a rational person, I do prefer spend my miles at current (promo) award ratio than keeping them waiting for a better ratio that is very unlikely to happen.
Wise, I actually emptied my account from 400k to 20k left.

Bought a RTW J ticket + 2 O/W to/from Asia
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bought a RTW J ticket + 2 O/W to/from Asia
I would be very interested to hear your experiences in both planning, and actually booking, a Skyteam RTW ticket with Flying Blue miles.

Could I make a huge imposition and ask if you would consider writing your experiences and any advice/insight you might have in the whole process? I think that deserves a brand new thread of its own.

Merci!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:48 am

I would be very interested to hear your experiences in both planning, and actually booking, a Skyteam RTW ticket with Flying Blue miles.

Could I make a huge imposition and ask if you would consider writing your experiences and any advice/insight you might have in the whole process? I think that deserves a brand new thread of its own.

Merci!
It does deserve a thread...

I might do that right now actually

EDIT: thread started

Last edited by SeamasterLux; Oct 24, 2013 at 9:45 am
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Worse... no AMEX in Luxembourg

The country that has one of the banking infrastructure in the world doesn't offer AMEX programs, just amazing.
They don't even permit low cost carriers to land in Luxembourg!

Seriously, I think the only partly decent use of miles left are the 50% economy class awards, despite the high taxes.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:44 am
Suspended

wrong post

Last edited by flyertalker00143; Oct 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macaron95
RT Europe to Dubai in Economy carried by AF + KLM: 20k miles
That's the current offer, and includes a 50% discount

Originally Posted by macaron95
same route with KLM: 30k

wondering when these 2 companies will start to be consistent with their award prices
This is where your observation becomes inconsistent!

Not only is it a different offer - for the forthcoming period which is not yet bookable - it is available on both AF and KLM. And this time, the discount drops to 25% as compared to the current 50%.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.