Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Tax Issues: AF Award on DL Metal Within United States

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 6:56 am
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Looks like they ripped you off. US domestic flights get charged $2.50 per segment. The tax is a percentage of the fare, so if the fare is 0--there is obvious no percentage when multiplied by zero that is greater than 0. That said, I had the same kinds of issues booking a one way with jetBlue using Emirates miles. First quoted $2.50. Then called back to ticket and was quoted $143 in taxes (on a paid fare that was less than $200). The next agent quoted $33.95...called back and the last agent quoted $17.10 so I went with that rather than waste another hour of my time arguing.

This is the ARC document which states clearly that PFCs are not collected on free tickets. (XF tax)

http://www.arccorp.com/forms/pp/iah/current/iah7_8.pdf

This shows ZP should be zero as well.

http://www.arccorp.com/forms/pp/iah/current/iah7_2.pdf

US tax should also be 0

Flying Blue agents can be clueless so I would call back and get somebody to refund the money.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

------

Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

------

Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:35 pm

Amazing. I have always gotten the send a hand written letter to France and hope for the best line. Glad they have moved into the 21st century
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Amazing. I have always gotten the send a hand written letter to France and hope for the best line. Glad they have moved into the 21st century
Nah, not really, we still pluck a goose before writing a letter as we need a feather where other people have discovered a weird instrument called the pen. We don't have fridges, cars, or electricity either, but like most primitive tribes, ignorance is bliss and we thus enjoy a reasonable state of uncivilised comfort in our cow skin tents

Back on topic, unfortunately, FB have long been cheeky enough to charge a surcharge on all FB-issued tickets, including DL and other 'low tax' ones in Asia. It is ridiculous but the way they are going at the moment, I doubt things will improve any time soon.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

------

Old Jun 20, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by crimsonAA
My only concern now is: Will I actually get the refund? And if I don't, and I try to call FB, will they have any idea what @AirFranceUS is? ::chuckle::
The US number has been manned by DL agents for many years now (and DL numbers in Europe by AF-KL agents). If you booked a classic award and want to cancel it, you will be charged a cancellation fee of the equivalent of €45 so it is probably not worth it.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

------

Old Jun 20, 2013, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by crimsonAA
Oh I wouldn't try to cancel. AirFrance twitter agents told me that I will get a refund of all the taxes except for the $5, which is all I was supposed to be charged. I just worry that the refund won't actually go through...
Sorry, missed that - the twitter team are usually fine so if they promised you a refund you'll probably get it within a few days.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
The US number has been manned by DL agents for many years now (and DL numbers in Europe by AF-KL agents).
Flying Blue staffs its own service center in Canada for all of its customers in the Americas. If the OP calls them, the call will be handled by FB, not DL; that's not to say that the staff at the FB Service Center are of high quality, as I'd prefer that Delta agents handle my calls to Flying Blue.

Delta handles revenue reservations in the US for AF/KL, but not Flying Blue.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by akonradi
Flying Blue staffs its own service center in Canada for all of its customers in the Americas. If the OP calls them, the call will be handled by FB, not DL; that's not to say that the staff at the FB Service Center are of high quality, as I'd prefer that Delta agents handle my calls to Flying Blue.

Delta handles revenue reservations in the US for AF/KL, but not Flying Blue.
Yes, this is the problem with Flying Blue. When something a little unusual comes up the agents immediately mention we are contract workers and have nothing to do with AF/KLM. Hence the please write a letter to France and beg your case as we have no e-mail addresses and can not help you here. Have had it happen several times with the Canadian call center.

Hopefully, in your case if AF can do it directly for you, you will be taken care of with a bit more efficiency.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
I had even more ridiculous issue.

Booked LAS-->MEX-->CDG on AM. Website shows 16 EUR in tax. Called FB in order to book for 50k miles (pre "enhancement" amount). Quoted 300 EUR tax. Agent and supervisor both ignorant, tried to lie few times (known website bug,you need to pay more taxes if you want to pay 50k miles instead of 62.5k - yeah, right, in C...and so on).

Hung up, called once more. Quoted 19 EUR tax, bought it. Ticket issued immediately. In couple of days FB calls me and says that the 19 EUR are incorrect and that they want 300.

I became slightly upset at this point and after a long discussion they agreed to keep the taxes at 19 EUR.

I'm so glad that I managed to spend all my miles and got out of this bazaar ^

Hope to never put my feet in an AF plane again

Regards,

El Puerco Volante.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
I had even more ridiculous issue.

Booked LAS-->MEX-->CDG on AM. Website shows 16 EUR in tax. Called FB in order to book for 50k miles (pre "enhancement" amount). Quoted 300 EUR tax. Agent and supervisor both ignorant, tried to lie few times (known website bug,you need to pay more taxes if you want to pay 50k miles instead of 62.5k - yeah, right, in C...and so on).

Hung up, called once more. Quoted 19 EUR tax, bought it. Ticket issued immediately. In couple of days FB calls me and says that the 19 EUR are incorrect and that they want 300.

I became slightly upset at this point and after a long discussion they agreed to keep the taxes at 19 EUR.

I'm so glad that I managed to spend all my miles and got out of this bazaar ^

Hope to never put my feet in an AF plane again

Regards,

El Puerco Volante.
Please file a complaint with the US Department of Transportation ASAP. Phoning passengers to ask for more money after a ticket has been issued is not permitted (since your itinerary departs from the US), and should not be tolerated. I'm glad that you were able to stand your ground and fight the payment increase.

A big to Flying Blue for continuing to exhibit a high level of world-class incompetence.

p.s. I'm jealous that you've burned all of your miles; I'm still in this bazaar for another 150K.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Originally Posted by akonradi
Please file a complaint with the US Department of Transportation ASAP. Phoning passengers to ask for more money after a ticket has been issued is not permitted (since your itinerary departs from the US), and should not be tolerated. I'm glad that you were able to stand your ground and fight the payment increase.

A big to Flying Blue for continuing to exhibit a high level of world-class incompetence.

p.s. I'm jealous that you've burned all of your miles; I'm still in this bazaar for another 150K.
I will file a compliant, good suggestion. I was disgusted by FB approach. The habit of ripping off your customers by lying about rules and overcharging them should not be tollerated.

And for your 150k - I can only recommend to book 3 one-ways US--Europe on DL or AM for low taxes(via phone for 50k each) or burn those on F "promo" awards ASAP.

You will feel better once you have nothing to do with this con act anymore. I did

Regards,

El Puerco Volante.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.