Wiki Posts
Search

Access to AF award ticket bought by someone else

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles&Smiles
Access to AF award ticket bought by someone else

The scenario goes as follows : another family member gave me an award ticket and booked it in my name with his FB account. I got ticketing information by mail, but there seems to be no way to attach my FB number when ordering (ie the ticket isn't visible on my FB account online automatically). My first question; is there a way to do this online instead of calling FB?

The second (and best, IMHO) part is when I try to access the award booking with my account on the AF website. After my call to the FB office, the trip now shows up automatically on my FB account and I can select it to see the trip details. Once I've finished checking out the booking and choose to return to my other bookings, I am no longer connected as myself, but with the FB account used to book the award trip. In other words, I see his FB account number, name and miles summary instead of mine. So question number two goes as follows; has anyone else experienced a similar identitiy swap on the AF page?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
The award ticket is linked to the FB account used to book it. There is no need (and no way IMO) to enter your own FB number in this booking, as you cannot earn miles for this trip. If you want to access your booking on-line, you can access it with the PNR numer or the e-ticket number + your name.

For the 2nd part of your post, this is obviously a kind of computer glitch but pretty embarrassing. It means that you can access your relative's account even without having to enter his/her P.I.N.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would disagree that there's no need to enter your own FF number. You want it for IROPs protection if you have higher stats than the relative. It can also matter for preferred seats and lounge access, where some dragons could object to you showing a card that isn't attached to the reservation.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
The award ticket is linked to the FB account used to book it. There is no need (and no way IMO) to enter your own FB number in this booking, as you cannot earn miles for this trip.
The idea of adding my FB number to the booking is to have the booking visible in my FB profile so that I can check in on my mobile device, and to benefit from my FB status. Regarding the latter, which status will matter for instance for lounge access?

Originally Posted by Goldorak
For the 2nd part of your post, this is obviously a kind of computer glitch but pretty embarrassing. It means that you can access your relative's account even without having to enter his/her P.I.N.
I tried explaining this on the phone to the FB people (after spending some time to explain what I had encountered). We finally agreed that this wasn't normal, but I had to call the specific AF website hotline (pressing * at the beginning of the call) to explain it to them all over again which I for the time being haven't done.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:07 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
You can add your frequent flier number to a booking made from another persons frequent flier account. Just phone AF/KL reservations for them to add your frequent flier number to the booking.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:31 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I believe the AF website allows to lookup any PNR and add/remove FF numbers. Having your FF number in the booking can be useful during irrops and for example lounge access. Especially if you have a higher FB level than the person who gave you the award.

If you have silver or ivory I would leave the other persons FF number in there for now, chances are that you can access the lounge for free that way (Assuming that person has Gold or up)

Originally Posted by sigbjod
Once I've finished checking out the booking and choose to return to my other bookings, I am no longer connected as myself, but with the FB account used to book the award trip. In other words, I see his FB account number, name and miles summary instead of mine. So question number two goes as follows; has anyone else experienced a similar identitiy swap on the AF page?
That sounds like a huge security risk. Is this by any chance the same physical computer that was used to make the booking? Could it be that you are somehow both still logged in?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I believe the AF website allows to lookup any PNR and add/remove FF numbers.
Do you know where I could do this? When going through the award ticket booking process, I can't find any box to enter the FB number of the person flying (if the trip is for someone else than the FB account owner). I'm also unable to find where I could add the FB number myself once the booking is done.

Having your FF number in the booking can be useful during irrops and for example lounge access. Especially if you have a higher FB level than the person who gave you the award.

If you have silver or ivory I would leave the other persons FF number in there for now, chances are that you can access the lounge for free that way (Assuming that person has Gold or up)
My point exactly. In this specific case, both cards have the same FB elite plus status, so the perks are the same. In that regard, as MSPeconomist mentioned, I wonder what'll happen if some lounge dragon finds it odd that my FB number doesn't correspond with the one used for the booking.

That sounds like a huge security risk. Is this by any chance the same physical computer that was used to make the booking? Could it be that you are somehow both still logged in?
The same computer was used, but I used different browsers to avoid mixing cookies and sessions. Thus the accounts have never been used in the same environment at the same time willingly. It clearly shows that there's room for improvment when it comes to handling FB accounts and reservations.

Regarding the security risk, I don't know if it's that a big problem since people usually don't have the habit of ordering tickets for complete strangers. In addition, when looking for bookings you'll need the reservation code which, I suppose, is matched with your name so the possibility of exploiting this on a bigger level seems rather limited.

For my part, I could hypothetically spend the miles available in the other person's account without him knowing it, but at some point in time (it's family after all) I'd have to explain myself.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 2:39 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sigbjod
Do you know where I could do this? When going through the award ticket booking process, I can't find any box to enter the FB number of the person flying (if the trip is for someone else than the FB account owner). I'm also unable to find where I could add the FB number myself once the booking is done.
I usually do this for a paid ticket here:
http://www.airfrance.nl/cgi-bin/AF/N...icket-plane.do

When you have logged in with the PNR number it will probably say: "Your reservation cannot be completed in this country, please click here, if you wish to make changes to your reservation."

When you click the link a "modify" button appears under the section "Passengers". There you can add/change the FF number

The same computer was used, but I used different browsers to avoid mixing cookies and sessions. Thus the accounts have never been used in the same environment at the same time willingly. It clearly shows that there's room for improvment when it comes to handling FB accounts and reservations.

Regarding the security risk, I don't know if it's that a big problem since people usually don't have the habit of ordering tickets for complete strangers. In addition, when looking for bookings you'll need the reservation code which, I suppose, is matched with your name so the possibility of exploiting this on a bigger level seems rather limited.

For my part, I could hypothetically spend the miles available in the other person's account without him knowing it, but at some point in time (it's family after all) I'd have to explain myself.
Yes, but what if you accidentally lose your BP at the airport, or, after the flight. I agree its a bit of a stretch, but somebody who picks up the BP can then abuse this issue and spend the award miles. Following your steps one only has to change the FF number to ones own, login with your own FB account and click on the reservation. You have now hijacked the account of the person owning the original BP.

Having said all that..practically it might not be as easy, for one, I dont think you can put a random FF number in the booking if the names dont match. But still..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.