Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Almost 300K miles expired

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Almost 300K miles expired

In my account almost 300000 miles expired. I am furious. Thought that expiration period was 36 months, and never received any email warning about mileage expiry.

What can I do to get the miles reinstated?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: DL FO
There are some threads about expired miles.

Lost 450000 miles. Can I get them back?
262500 Expired Miles - A happy ending.
+ others.

When complaining to FB, argue you have not been told the T&C changed.
Good luck as it does not seem easy!
Old Jul 7, 2011, 6:25 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
In my account almost 300000 miles expired. I am furious. Thought that expiration period was 36 months, and never received any email warning about mileage expiry.

Normally nothing, but if they haven't sent any e-mail you can try to let them redeposit the miles.
See this

Last edited by KLflyerRalph; Jul 7, 2011 at 6:28 am Reason: GuillaumeD beat to the info, EDIT2: add link to thread
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:49 am

Argh, I forgot the one that seems the most important!
But I answered faster!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Update

I received a reply from FB, and they refuse to reinstate the miles (basically saying, these are the rules).

I will raise it to the next level now.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:08 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Uhm...you DID forget them though. It is in fact your own fault that they expired. You dont have any 'rights' here, you can merely hope for some goodwill.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:29 am

In all likelihood, nothing.

What you thought (or more likely, what you didn't think at all) that the expiration date was is irrelevant. What matters is reality and your lack of paying attention.

Flying Blue is one of the worst FFPs in the industry.
Still, however, it is aimed at half-heartedly trying to influence the loyalty of high frequence and high value fliers.

Since you haven't attained Platinum Status for more than 10 years in a row nor even flown once during the last year and a half, you clearly have not qualified yourself to appear to be a member of the groups that FB is targeting. By keeping the 300k miles on the books, FB would have a liability to a once-upon-a-time, past customer they don't give a damn about anymore. By having the miles expire they are able to erase this liability from their books. They are not worried about losing you as a customer. They already lost you as a customer more than a year and half ago.

Perhaps if you agree to fly at least 80k status miles in the next 12 months they might agree to reinstate the miles after you complete your challenge.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:46 am

FB changed its expiration policy more than 2 years ago. But still, if the OP joined FB when it was the 36 month expiration policy and was not advised by FB about the diminution to 20 month, it can be worth to fight a bit.
See this as pointed out by KLflyerRalph. But apparently, you need to fight quite a bit.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:57 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
I sincerely wish you all the best for getting the miles back.

Nevertheless I cannot help stating that I fail to understand why this type of problem comes up here on FT from time to time. If had not flown with Skyteam (or any other alliance) for a year or so, I would notice, think about my miles and book a cool holiday flight in Business with my partner or best mate to the other end of the world. But I would certainly not forget 300000 miles.
On the other hand, if I did not care about my miles and would not remember them after a year of not flying Skyteam, I would not bother about losing them.

Anyway. If they refuse to reinstate your miles, maybe you could ask them if they would be okay, as a gesture of goodwill, with you giving the miles to charity. I could imagine that they would be willing to do this, and in this way the story would at least have some sort of good outcome in the end.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
This will not help you, I'm afraid. When you signed up for the program you signed clauses about expiring miles and changes to the program. The clauses were also there before Aprils fools.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I received a reply from FB, and they refuse to reinstate the miles (basically saying, these are the rules).

All FFPs periodically (and legally) change their rules. FB vastly advertised the change over two years ago. The validity of 20 months is clearly mentioned on their website.
It is sad for you, but if I had 300KM, I would have been a bit more careful about expiration. Anyway keeping miles inactive for years is a bad idea as they get periodically devalued in all FFPs.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
It is sad for you, but if I had 300KM,
300,000 miles reduced to 300 kilometres!

Flying Blue - generous by nature
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
300,000 miles reduced to 300 kilometres!

Flying Blue - generous by nature
^
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Won't help the OP, but I have found it very helpful to sign up for a service like Awardwallet.

You don't have to think about things like expirations any more; the date is right on the screen for all your reward programs, and you don't have to keep track of 50 passwords/logins for yourself, family members, whatever.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

But the thing is that you have been a FT member since 2009. Did you not notice the changes here on this forum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.