Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:36 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by skitch23
Just made my 1,000th loan today in just shy of 17 months of lending!

875 of those loans were credited to FT and I have an overall loss of 0.77% from defaults & currency losses. Not bad! That's cheaper than most methods of MS and I did a heck of a lot of good for others

Here's to the next 1,000!
Onwards and upwards! Congrats! ^:-:
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I hit a couple of mile posts:
  • 1,000th loan today.

• $25,000 lent via Team FlyerTalk as of today.
Team FlyerTalk:

Impact

633 TEAM MEMBERS

$2,404,750 AMOUNT LOANED

39,718 LOANS

62.7 LOANS PER MEMBER

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 29, 2016 at 8:31 pm
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: nguyen ha
I found Kiva through the link in JDiver's signature, but didn't find the Flyertalk team until today. After credits come in on the 15th, I'll be sure to credit a new loan to the FT team!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thuha123
I found Kiva through the link in JDiver's signature, but didn't find the Flyertalk team until today. After credits come in on the 15th, I'll be sure to credit a new loan to the FT team!
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

We will be sure to look for your followup, given it appears you may have merely replicated an old post:

Originally Posted by wildblue
JDiver, Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 1, 2016 at 6:24 pm
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:14 pm

Just joined Kiva to donate and was happy to see flyertalk team.
Great work guys!!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerInd2016
Just joined Kiva to donate and was happy to see flyertalk team.
Great work guys!!
Welcome aboard!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Team FlyerTalk:

Impact

633 TEAM MEMBERS

$2,404,750 AMOUNT LOANED

39,718 LOANS

62.7 LOANS PER MEMBER
Stats above are from July 29.

As of today (Oct 28), we are at:

659 TEAM MEMBERS

$2,582,825 AMOUNT LOANED

42,020 LOANS

63.8 LOANS PER MEMBER

And a big welcome to the 10 new members who joined our team this month! ^
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Over $2.5 million!

Wow! ^
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD, Starbucks (SBUX) Super Duper Executive Gold Global Priority Platinum Prestige
Finally joined Kiva! I've been wanting to join for a while now, but the FTer community was the impetus that finally converted me
Old Nov 26, 2016, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sudden729
Finally joined Kiva! I've been wanting to join for a while now, but the FTer community was the impetus that finally converted me
Welcome to the FlyerTalk lending team!

What a great way to express thankfulness and pay it forward!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:24 am

I just joined the FT team.

I've been lender on Kiva for the past 5 years, but haven't been that diligent with lending/repayment/relending, so I hope being part of this group and seeing updates from others keeps me lending!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by always_solo

I've been lender on Kiva for the past 5 years, but haven't been that diligent with lending/repayment/relending, so I hope being part of this group and seeing updates from others keeps me lending!
Welcome to the team!

One thing you can do is to subscribe to the thread. It's not nearly as active as our Kiva lending, but it can be a reminder.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 3, 2017 at 8:01 pm
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by always_solo

Welcome to the team, always_solo!

Recently, I hit major personal lending milestone. And I have JDiver to thank, as he was the one that inspired me to sign-up for Kiva and start lending. ^

By the way, our team is now up to:

688 TEAM MEMBERS
$2,845,875 AMOUNT LOANED
45,044 LOANS

Hopefully it won't take us too much longer to hit $3 million!
Old Feb 5, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Meanwhile our friends at InsideFlyer have also donated around $13M

It's a long shot, but lets see if we can beat them (promote, promote, promote). I plan on joining fairly soon as well, once I get a tad more money in the coming weeks.

Friendly competition never hurt right?

Let's change lives.

Collectively we've already loaned $2,851,250 and I know that number can get even higher. Perhaps 3 mil on the 3rd month of the year .

Anyways great job so far guys, I really look forward to jumping in soon as well. ^
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, EBS, HH Silver
Hi,

just joined

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.