Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
I just signed up today...now time to look where my first loan should go!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by chrisphx
I just signed up today...now time to look where my first loan should go!
Great! Welcome. You can choose a number of parameters for your loans.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
I hit the $30k milestone today I'm floating more than I'd like to right now, but the recent OM & Staples deals made it hard to say no. Kiva loans are much more satisfying that buying and depositing mo's... even if it takes a lot longer to get the cash back. Next stop, $40k!
Old May 1, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by skitch23
I hit the $30k milestone today I'm floating more than I'd like to right now, but the recent OM & Staples deals made it hard to say no. Kiva loans are much more satisfying that buying and depositing mo's... even if it takes a lot longer to get the cash back. Next stop, $40k!
Wow, that's great. Good on you. Making me feel guilty about my paltry offering. I'd better go off and do a little top-up.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by skitch23
How long does it typically take you to get the cash back? Interested in joining!
Old May 1, 2017, 11:28 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
How long does it typically take you to get the cash back? Interested in joining!
Most loans pay back monthly; some repay in a lump sum at the end of the loan term. For monthly repayment loans, you'll usually start receiving repayments after 1-2 months. Shortest loan length tends to be 6 months.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
As @JY1024 mentioned, there are several different repayment schedules. You can look at them on each individual loan and just find one that you like. There are some loans I prefer over others. Novica's are my favorite but they only have a couple pop up each month. Be sure to pay attention to default rates for the lender, how long the lender has been on Kiva (newer ones are sometimes riskier), and if there have been major currency devaluations.

If you look at the FT kiva page, you can see which active loans we've participated on and you'll notice some patterns... Nothing is fool proof tho, so use your best judgment In my $30k of loans, I've lost $250 and have about $300 more that will likely be defaulted. In my early days on Kiva, I was focused on "country collecting" and "lender collecting", so some of my choices were pretty risky and obviously didn't pan out lol.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anybody here ever taken a trip to visit a recipient of their loan?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
What a great question!

I haven't, not much for sleepin in the barn
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM
Not that I can remember. But one of our members (not very active on FT just now) served as a volunteer for the microlender in Cambodia and provided feedback (she stayed on in Cambodia; it has now been a few years).
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by TomMM
Remember while you are shown pictures and told the story behind the loan, more often the cash collected goes into a pot with the local partner and is disbursed to all their projects.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Remember while you are shown pictures and told the story behind the loan, more often the cash collected goes into a pot with the local partner and is disbursed to all their projects.

Ah, didn't realize that. I thought it would be fun to do some secret shopping.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Just did a quick and easy 3 loans this morning for seeds, chickens and a cow or two.

I have loaned to Bolivia, El Salvador, India, Kyrgystan, Rwanda, Vietnam, Camboaia, Guatemala, Kenya, Lebanon, Tajikistan.

That's my feel good buzz for this morning.
JDiver, deeruck, skitch23 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

The FkyerTalk lending team has done a lot of good!

Where we stand today:

Team members: 750 :-:
Lent to date: $3,564,925
Loans to date: 53,739
Loans per member (average): 71.7
Rank across all teams: 9 for amount loaned (Sep 2017)
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
The FkyerTalk lending team has done a lot of good!

Where we stand today:

Team members: 750 :-:
Lent to date: $3,564,925
Loans to date: 53,739
Loans per member (average): 71.7
Rank across all teams: 9 for amount loaned (Sep 2017)
Any stats on the repayment rate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.