Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I'll bump this thread to remind readers that for the hard to buy for people on your Christmas list I've found Kiva gifts work very well as it gets the recipient involved says something more than a box of chocolates. Easily emailed too.

'Tis the season.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:03 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JY1024
It's been a few months since we've posted an update, so here are our stats as of today (May 4, 2014):

436 Team Members
$630,325 Amount Loaned
15,518 Loans

Welcome to all our new members, and go team! ^
Well, it's been 8 months since I last posted our team progress. And apparently in early December, we crossed the :-::-: $1 MILLION DOLLAR :-::-: mark!

As of today (23 Jan 2015), we're at:

484 Team Members
$1,099,425 Amount Loaned
22,445 Loans

Wow - already almost $1.1 million in loans. Onwards and upwards! ^
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:53 am

Of 37,288 lending teams on Kiva, the Flyertalk team is number 39 in amount loaned. Our 487 members have lent $1,117,825 in 22,647 loans. in size we rank 92nd. As for number of loans made, we rank 52nd.

So proud of us. I'll add a loan to the team today.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Not sure if it has been discussed before, but there's a lot of controversy on the effectiveness and long-term negative impact that micro-lenders like Kiva have on reducing poverty:

The joys of pretending to help the poor: The Kiva Story

They are just basically saying that the likes of Kiva do more harm than good and actually increase poverty through usury interest rates (sometimes as high as 100%) that their lenders charge.
I'm sure everyone participating has good intentions but maybe you should at least think about it or do some research first. I was also unaware of many of the facts pointed out at the article listed above so now I'm searching for other better alternatives. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
If you are concerned about interest rates, then lend on Kiva Zip where there is no interest charged. Or use Kiva's search criteria to find loans with lower interest rates.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by onthego15
If you are concerned about interest rates, then lend on Kiva Zip where there is no interest charged. Or use Kiva's search criteria to find loans with lower interest rates.
The borrowers do have to pay interest and very high in many instances. Lenders don't get repaid that interest. The problem is not the latter but the former in which borrowers get deep in debt trying to repay those loans.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
The borrowers do have to pay interest and very high in many instances. Lenders don't get repaid that interest. The problem is not the latter but the former in which borrowers get deep in debt trying to repay those loans.
You completely missed my point. On Kiva Zip borrowers pay no interest. NONE.

And on regular Kiva, you can use their search criteria to find loans with a low interest rate.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:27 am

You completely missed my point. On Kiva Zip borrowers pay no interest. NONE.

And on regular Kiva, you can use their search criteria to find loans with a low interest rate.
Sorry, I see what you meant now. I had no idea there was a Kiva "Zip." I'll look into it.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:40 am

Sorry, I see what you meant now. I had no idea there was a Kiva "Zip." I'll look into it.
Well, if you don't know about Kiva Zip, then you probably don't know how to use Kiva's loan search function.
Go to the Kiva lend page.
the scroll down the left column and click on the words "advanced options"
keep scrolling down until you see "average cost to borrowers"
Set the green bar below at whatever % you think is fair, then look at the loans offered.

I didn't read the article you posted, but I have seen many articles like it and they all seem to ignore what it is really like to make loans in poor rural areas of countries that have little modern infrastructure. When I have read the stories of what it is actually like to operate a lending organization/institution, I am amazed that interest rates are as low as they are. It requires a lot of dedication, risk and determination to operate in many of those places. Ever thought of making loans in a country/region wracked by civil war? How about loaning to someone who lives a full day of travel (by foot, bicycle or moped) from any lending office? Well, some Kiva field partners do it.

But my basic point is if you are uncomfortable with loans that have a high interest rate, then Kiva Zip has made 8000 no interest loans. And I am sure that there are other alternatives as well.
Anyway, my basic point is
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Well according to my Kiva profile, I joined in Dec '13, but I just funded my 4 first loans tonite I hope to do some more in a few months as I earn cb from MS in other ways. Some of you FTers have staggering loan numbers ^^ Well done!!

In regards to the previous posts, what cost to borrowers do you guys typically go for? I missed this section as I was more focused on what they'd "do with the loan" and how likely it would be for me to get repaid.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by skitch23
Well according to my Kiva profile, I joined in Dec '13, but I just funded my 4 first loans tonite I hope to do some more in a few months as I earn cb from MS in other ways. Some of you FTers have staggering loan numbers ^^ Well done!!

In regards to the previous posts, what cost to borrowers do you guys typically go for? I missed this section as I was more focused on what they'd "do with the loan" and how likely it would be for me to get repaid.
Welcome to the team and congrats on your first loans! ^

I tend to focus on the quality of the microfinancing institution (MFI). Personally, I loan to the ones that provide the most education and services to their members. The cost to borrowers really does vary quite a bit from environment to environment. Loans being made in countries with some semblance of banking and transportation infrastructure tend to be lower cost to service. Loans made in countries where it takes a loan officer 7-8 hours round-trip just to visit a member to collect their monthly/weekly repayments will obviously incur much higher costs.

I focus a lot about the education piece because I really do hope that we're lending a hand up, not a hand out. I don't want borrowers to become dependent on loan sharks or traffickers or even MFIs. I want them to learn about how to best run their businesses in their own countries and locales - whether it's learning more about forming a cooperative, or learning about the benefits of preventative medicine, or how to create personal or business budgets.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:13 pm

http://www.kiva.org/lend/851159

I just found this thread and saw the Lending Team supported Lucy. A huge thank you to those who helped. I provide counsel to One Degree Solar (you can see their profile here http://www.kiva.org/partners/276) and Lucy is hopefully one of the success stories. ODS has helped changed the small enterprise sector in Kenya by providing low cost solar system to businesses and home.

Keep up the great work
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:52 pm

Well, if you don't know about Kiva Zip, then you probably don't know how to use Kiva's loan search function.
Go to the Kiva lend page.
the scroll down the left column and click on the words "advanced options"
keep scrolling down until you see "average cost to borrowers"
Set the green bar below at whatever % you think is fair, then look at the loans offered.

I didn't read the article you posted, but I have seen many articles like it and they all seem to ignore what it is really like to make loans in poor rural areas of countries that have little modern infrastructure. When I have read the stories of what it is actually like to operate a lending organization/institution, I am amazed that interest rates are as low as they are. It requires a lot of dedication, risk and determination to operate in many of those places. Ever thought of making loans in a country/region wracked by civil war? How about loaning to someone who lives a full day of travel (by foot, bicycle or moped) from any lending office? Well, some Kiva field partners do it.

But my basic point is if you are uncomfortable with loans that have a high interest rate, then Kiva Zip has made 8000 no interest loans. And I am sure that there are other alternatives as well.
Anyway, my basic point is
I was able to search for interest-free loans and navigate better through their site but the point of the article is that those so-called interest-free loans are not really free as Kiva claims. I also find it a bit hard to believe that they offer them free loans. Remember there are no free lunches.

I'm not completely against the idea though. It just gave me a pause and made me think whether I was indeed helping or making things worse. I have read stories about poor people in India committing suicide because they cannot pay these high interest loans.

Anyway, can anyone give me any pointers or advice on how to avoid selecting loans that might default?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:31 am

I was able to search for interest-free loans and navigate better through their site but the point of the article is that those so-called interest-free loans are not really free as Kiva claims. I also find it a bit hard to believe that they offer them free loans. Remember there are no free lunches.

I'm not completely against the idea though. It just gave me a pause and made me think whether I was indeed helping or making things worse. I have read stories about poor people in India committing suicide because they cannot pay these high interest loans.

Anyway, can anyone give me any pointers or advice on how to avoid selecting loans that might default?
First you complain about interest rates being too high on loans. Then when I point out how to find no interest loans, you claim that they aren't really interest-free (just because some article you read says so). If you believe that Kiva is lying to you then why are you bothering to even look at Kiva loans?
I am sure you will find a way to call me a liar as well, but I will say that I have communicated with many KivaZip lenders who have confirmed that their loans are interest free.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024

As of today (23 Jan 2015), we're at:

484 Team Members
$1,099,425 Amount Loaned
22,445 Loans

Wow - already almost $1.1 million in loans. Onwards and upwards! ^
3 months later...time for another update.

As of today (24 April 2015), we're at:

508 Team Members
$1,298,250 Amount Loaned
24,725 Loans

Just a little more, and we'll have hit 25K loans! :-:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.