Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
E-Rewards sent me a notice yesterday that they now support KIVA and allow using E-Rewards points to make KIVA loans.

Check your inboxes!
Got that as well.

Big caveat - they choose the loan, and the money is not returned to your account when repaid.

So, still a good thing and a way to loan on Kiva, but it's not the normal process in any way, shape, or form.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stdatwmu
Got that as well.

Big caveat - they choose the loan, and the money is not returned to your account when repaid.

So, still a good thing and a way to loan on Kiva, but it's not the normal process in any way, shape, or form.
I will find a better use for e rewards.
I need to choose the loan.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by airbus320
I will find a better use for e rewards.
I need to choose the loan.
Same here.

Personally, I use E-Rewards to keep my rarely-used FF/Hotel accounts active!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Repayments have hit. I now have 11 loans that have been repaid.

I'm in for another 2 loans:
Gennadiy and
Seidasad
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
OK, thanks! Lent to them and 10 others. We should be up to $430,850 - and auspiciously my loans went in while FT registered 11,111 loans (now 11, 123) from 380 members. Nope, added three others - there are six loans for needy entrepreneurs in the USA out there awaiting funding.

Originally Posted by kipper
Repayments have hit. I now have 11 loans that have been repaid.

I'm in for another 2 loans:
Gennadiy and
Seidasad
Old May 20, 2013, 1:32 pm

Repayments are in for the month!!!
Old May 20, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Does anyone fund two accounts from the same Paypal address/account? I have an individual Kiva account which I use for FT, and a joint account with my BF. This round of repayments, I tried to withdraw the funds but got an error message saying someone from Kiva would review the problem and get back to us. Anyone experience that?
Old May 20, 2013, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by boxo
Does anyone fund two accounts from the same Paypal address/account? I have an individual Kiva account which I use for FT, and a joint account with my BF. This round of repayments, I tried to withdraw the funds but got an error message saying someone from Kiva would review the problem and get back to us. Anyone experience that?
I haven't tried to pull money, but perhaps trying again would work?
Old May 20, 2013, 4:46 pm

Argh... Kiva's site crashed on me as I was about to make two loans.
Old May 20, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
I haven't tried to pull money, but perhaps trying again would work?
We just got an email saying they will do a manual withdrawal, but no mention of why the action was blocked.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:48 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Yay - lots of repayments coming in, and there seems to be plenty of loans out there right now that need to be funded.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:37 am

I'll happily use my credit to fund new loans, except that my browser doesn't like Kiva... I'll work on funding new loans tonight or tomorrow.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:04 am

Location: Near PHL, PA and GCM, CI and sometimes PLJ, Placencia. Belize
Programs: AA-EXP, DL-Gold, Bonvoy-Gold
Only $75 more to go on this loan - hope you can help....

This woman in Colombia has already used and paid back a Kiva loan - let's help her take another step toward self-sufficiency..!!

"Thanks to her previous Kiva loan, Josefina was able to purchase varied merchandise for her general store, such as cooking oil, rice, plantains, and toilet paper. With these goods she was able to stock her business and her sales increased as a result. Josefina says to Kiva lenders: 'Thanks for your collaboration and help, God bless you.'

Currently, Josefina is applying for another Kiva loan, with which she will buy additional items to stock her store. She believes that this investment will be successful, because she will buy more of the products that sell the best, positively impacting her income."

I just added $75 to cover half of what was still needed and I hope the F/T team can cover the remaining $75...!!!

Thank you................^^

http://www.kiva.org/lend/568880
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by PhillyFive
This woman in Colombia has already used and paid back a Kiva loan - let's help her take another step toward self-sufficiency..!!

"Thanks to her previous Kiva loan, Josefina was able to purchase varied merchandise for her general store, such as cooking oil, rice, plantains, and toilet paper. With these goods she was able to stock her business and her sales increased as a result. Josefina says to Kiva lenders: 'Thanks for your collaboration and help, God bless you.'

Currently, Josefina is applying for another Kiva loan, with which she will buy additional items to stock her store. She believes that this investment will be successful, because she will buy more of the products that sell the best, positively impacting her income."

I just added $75 to cover half of what was still needed and I hope the F/T team can cover the remaining $75...!!!

Thank you................^^

http://www.kiva.org/lend/568880
It was fully funded by the time I tried to add money.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 9:12 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Happened to stumble upon this thread, so went onto Kiva and made a few loans in honor of July 4th here in the States.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.