Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
A comment (but not a complaint):

I checked the Kiva website a few weeks back and noticed to my delight that some of the loans had been partially repaid. I happily topped up the payback and made another $25 loan.

Sometime last week I received an email from Kiva noting that some loans had been repaid. I checked today, and my Kiva balance is $0.

So obviously, Kiva is slow at sending out notices for repaid loans. While this isn't problematic for me at all, I do find it a trifle odd that repayments and notifications aren't more or less simultaneous.

Anyone else notice this?
Old Sep 19, 2009, 8:01 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
My first loan is starting to be paid back so lent that money back out today. I'll just keep relending as it comes in.

I think I'll be giving KIVA gift certificates for Christmas!
Old Sep 19, 2009, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz

I checked the Kiva website a few weeks back and noticed to my delight that some of the loans had been partially repaid. I happily topped up the payback and made another $25 loan.

Sometime last week I received an email from Kiva noting that some loans had been repaid. I checked today, and my Kiva balance is $0.

So obviously, Kiva is slow at sending out notices for repaid loans. While this isn't problematic for me at all, I do find it a trifle odd that repayments and notifications aren't more or less simultaneous.

Anyone else notice this?
Happened to me too.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 1:43 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi all,

Just relent another $25. The team is at $9'350 and going strong.

Let's keep the momentum, everyone!

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by RCyyz

Anyone else notice this?

The credit email has sometimes been delayed for me as well, but I've learned when to look for credits. (thanks to info on the kivafriends.org forum)

The major posting of credits happens on the 15th of the month - it runs alphabetically by Field Partner (FP) throughout the day. My understanding is that on the 15th the loan payments due are netted against the funds the FP has raised on Kiva to that date and credits are posted.

If the FP owes more than they've raised, they have until the 1st of the next month to transfer payment to Kiva until the loan is considered delinquent. In a few cases, I've had credits trickle in over the last two weeks of the month.

You can click on the "show advanced" link to the right of the repayment schedule on the loan page to see the details of payments made from entrepreneur to FP and from FP to Kiva. I've had a couple of loans go delinquent - one was due to the entrepreneur getting behind (but then catching up) with payments, the other one the details show the entrepreneur has paid, but the FP has not yet paid Kiva.

If you're looking to relend - there are a whole bunch of group loans in Bolivia and Peru that have about 10 days left to be funded. These are short term loans - generally paid back in 4 or 5 payments.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
wildblue, thanks for the informative update! :-:

I suspect some batch processing - there are sometimes lags - even in showing how much the individual or group has loaned, though that often takes less than one half hour. In the end, I have never had any problems with Kiva itself, though one or two lenders have gone temporarily delinquent over time (85 loans, 55 in repayment, 30 paid, and I've just re-lent some repaid money.)

We are now up to

FlyerTalkers
Number of Team Members 69
Number of Loans 322
Number of Loans per Member 4.67
Total Amount Loaned $9,725.00

Can the magical $10,000 be far? ^

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 20, 2009 at 8:46 pm Reason: add a bit
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Yay! Just made another loan today.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:12 am

So did I.

Update: I started looking around and found a few more that needed my help. I made it three times 25. Small amounts, but every penny helps.

Last edited by Helsinki Flyer; Sep 24, 2009 at 4:36 am
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:47 am

I just joined the group. Kiva has long been one of my favorite sites and now that FT is one of my favorite sites it's nice to match them up.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Me too. 3 of us have made a loan to the same person in Cambodia. Loan is 60% raised so more can join
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ta-DAH!

FlyerTalkers Lending Team
Number of Team Members 70
Number of Loans 333
Number of Loans per Member 4.75
Total Amount Loaned $10,025.00

In less than one year, :-: FlyerTalkers :-: have made OVER $10,000 IN LOANS to needy entrepreneurs in developing areas of the world!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:33 am

That's awesome!

Do you guys have anything special you look for in making a loan? So far, I've always loaned to entrepreneurs in food-related businesses, especially street food. Yum.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I look for female entrepreneurs, and I like to do countries I've been to. I love Uganda so my one loan (so far) was to there, and I'd probably look there first again.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:38 am
Community Director Emerita

I, also, specifically loan to female entrepreneurs. Women simply don't have the same work opportunities as men in much of the world. Beyond that, I'd love to figure out a more systematic way to make my loans, as I'm very random at the moment. Fortunately, each loan is only the cost of a lunch or two, so I don't feel compelled to do a lot of analysis. I tend to chose a country, limit it to women, and loan to work efforts that appeal.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
One more FTer. I'm now an investor in a Peruvian restaurant.

Sean

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.