Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2012, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
I received my first loan repayment tonight! $9.37 repaid on a $25 load to a lady running a neighborhood grocery store from her apartment supporting her family. Can't wait to make more loans.
Repayments are great fun. I cannot wait to see what comes in each month. The bulk of my repayments are in on the 15th but some dribble in over the next few days.

If you can afford it, I recommend rounding up to the next $25 so that you can make at least on loan per month. If you stay with loans averaging a year or less, then soon your repayments will fund at least a loan per month.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KyRoamer
Actually as I watch the thread grow, I am changing my mind. The Kiva defenders now have another forum to spread the word.

Now Kiva is not all goodness. To reach so many areas it relies on field partners who have their own agendas, some religious some otherwise. The field partners advance the loans (pre-fund) and often charge what seems to be high interest rates (but look at their rates of return on assets). Kiva loans are really a way of buying the principal component of already funded loans. They replenish the capital of the filed partner and give it a risk free (IF THE LOAN GETS FUNDED) return.

That said, Kiva is very honest about how its model works. The extra capital source expands the reach of the field partners. The field partners do more than make loans, the seek out, educate and mentor borrowers most of whom have no other sources for credit.

Of my many Kiva loans, only one (Less than 00.2%) has defaulted. I plan to stay active through Kiva and urge that you do likewise.
Agreed. I just loaned another 400, I was hoping to clean out some gift cards but they were reversed on me so it took from newly repaid loans this month. All good, And I feel even more altruistic this way.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I had enough in repayments to make another loan, plus fund 40% of another, so I've now made another 2 loans.

One to Yevgeniya, the other to Natalya.

As a team, we're at $297,825 loaned. Can we make it to $300,000 before the end of the year?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:43 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kipper
As a team, we're at $297,825 loaned. Can we make it to $300,000 before the end of the year?
Well...that didn't take long!

Number of Team Members: 336
Number of Loans: 8,668
Total Amount Loaned: $301,725 ^
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Congrats to the team! ^
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
Well...that didn't take long!

Number of Team Members: 336
Number of Loans: 8,668
Total Amount Loaned: $301,725 ^
That's always good! ^
Old Nov 22, 2012, 9:32 am

Congrats Team.

Now.

1MUSD by 12/31/2013 Who is with me?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Congrats Team.

Now.

I am.

A number of my extended friends & family circle are very socially concious and so giving Kiva Cards make a really excellent Xmas present I know they'll really appreciate. ^
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
I am.

A number of my extended friends & family circle are very socially concious and so giving Kiva Cards make a really excellent Xmas present I know they'll really appreciate. ^
I have a $25 card for my $20 max family grab bag present. Unfortunately some of these chaps are some of the least socially aware folk I have met, but I enjoy on several levels the chance to introduce charity as a 'throwaway' gift.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:44 pm

The Louisville Cardinals beat Missouri 84 - 61 and play Duke tonight for the Battle 4 Atlantis championship. If they win, I pledge $100 in new money loans before month end.

If anyone joins in a sports bet to benefit Kiva, I will allocate at least one loan to this team.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 2:21 pm

My MIL has informed us that she doesn't want gift cards, flowers, or gifts for holidays and her birthday, so it looks like my loan contribution will increase a bit.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sounds great!

Dunno if we can do it, but it's worth a try I'll change my signature, and others can, if they wish, add a link for this thread or our Kiva team page.

Just returned from a non-Internet access trip and see I have $684.79 available Kiva credit, so I am off to the races sometime today. And I will add some new money for the season as well.

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Congrats Team.

Now.

Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
32 more loans made today on behalf of the FlyerTalk team (I added some money to the pot for the holidays) and I am now over 600 loans (and caught up with my returning Kiva credit).

Let's see how much we can lend during the holidays / new year!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:35 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Huzzah - it's the first of the month again...tons of new loans have been added! ^

Following in JDiver's footsteps, I've also added a few loans to the FT Team. (I happened to have some repayments come in from a few MFIs in Peru this morning, so I had a few extra coins in the piggy bank. )
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:55 am

Team is in the top 10 for December. Congrats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.