Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I guess FTer have not discovered their altruist sentiment yet... alternatively they must have other means to get CC spend up or redeem Amex GCs in a different route.
I am not sure I understand your statement. Those Flyertalkers that choose to be active on Kiva have over 22 loans each. That is an outstanding number of loans per lender. As for the others, there are so many good causes chasing our dollars it is hard to fault anyone for not joining Kiva -- gentle pushes are OK though.

Earning miles is a bonus but not the reason for making Kiva loans even for us miles and points junkies. Larger lenders are often requested to re-invest repayments and not withdraw and then re-lend them as PayPal eats the CC charges to the tune of over $1 million per year.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by KyRoamer
I am not sure I understand your statement. Those Flyertalkers that choose to be active on Kiva have over 22 loans each. That is an outstanding number of loans per lender. As for the others, there are so many good causes chasing our dollars it is hard to fault anyone for not joining Kiva -- gentle pushes are OK though.

Earning miles is a bonus but not the reason for making Kiva loans even for us miles and points junkies. Larger lenders are often requested to re-invest repayments and not withdraw and then re-lend them as PayPal eats the CC charges to the tune of over $1 million per year.
I find myself looking forward to the middle of the month to see my repayments, and in turn, loan those again.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I find myself looking forward to the middle of the month to see my repayments, and in turn, loan those again.
Me too. I start lending on the first. On the 15th I withdraw half of my repayments to repay me in part for the loans already made. Then I use the repayment balance to keep lending.

This way i can make loans all month long. My total loans usually exceed my repayments so I am adding new money. The bulk of my loans go to other teams, but I do a FT loan every so often.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
It's that time of the month again...

Just re-lent my repayments.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by stdatwmu

Mine are trickling in, but I would anticipate relanding again before the end of the month.
Old May 21, 2012, 6:08 am

Just re-lent mine as well, finally.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:16 pm

Time to up your investment and to sign up a new Kiva member for the FlyerTalkers.

We are 291 strong and have loaned $229,250. Together we have made 6,559 loans.

Wow. Just think what we could do with 300, 400 or 500 members.
Old May 24, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G

Same here. Policy here is to take my repayments and top up to create a new loan.
Old May 24, 2012, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by *A Flyer
Same here. Policy here is to take my repayments and top up to create a new loan.
That's what I've done, now that I have enough loans that my repayments mean I don't have to donate that much to create a new loan.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just made the 170th loan using repayments for the SMD1&2 account.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:22 am

Just made my 8th loan, this one to Nani, who only needs another $25 to fully fund her loan.

The FT team has made 6,655 loans, for a total of $232,100.

ETA: Nani's loan is now fully funded! I love this--in the time it took me to make my loan and post here, I watched her funds needed drop from $125 to $0!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I've done KIVA for a while, but just joined the FT team so you have 1 more.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I've done KIVA for a while, but just joined the FT team so you have 1 more.
Welcome to the team!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by kipper
Welcome to the team!
Thank you this is a brilliant project!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
Does anyone withdraw to their PayPal and use new funds to loan? You don't get travel miles if you just relend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.