Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
And, why not?

I re-lent a Benjamin that came back at me from borrowers today, and now we are up to $5,800.00

*Updated as of Jun 21, 2009 06:51 pm

boulderlaw, you've got a great idea! ^

Originally Posted by myleguy
I just noticed that now U.S. entrepeneurs are listed on KIVA. Anyone want to engage in a little private sector economic stimulus?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA
I loaned $25 on Jan 15th of 2009. Add me to the list!
Old Jul 12, 2009, 1:01 pm

I found Kiva through the link in JDiver's signature, but didn't find the Flyertalk team until today. After credits come in on the 15th, I'll be sure to credit a new loan to the FT team!
Old Jul 12, 2009, 6:10 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
My previous loans are partially paid back, so I made another loan for the FlyerTalk team.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:03 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Did another one tonight. Wish Kiva did more education lending.

$6,200 thus far from FT!

Last edited by chanp; Jul 14, 2009 at 1:04 am Reason: add
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:22 am

So, I just loaned to a Bolivian taxi driver for some vehicle maintenance and picked up some MR points.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 3:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Wow, that would be something! And I know we could do it - it's a matter of educating other FlyerTalkers of the wonderful opportunity FT and Kiva allow us to spread the good around where we travel. Now - imagine every FTer did what the 57 members have done - the average loans per FT member is 3.75 loans!

"We want to fight global poverty while earning miles" at work.

Today we are at 57 members, $6,300.00 lent. ^

Originally Posted by boulderlaw
We surpassed our goal of $5,000. Congratulations to all who have lent through the FT team and contributed to meeting our goal!

How about we add a few zeros to that number? Here is a global challenge for all of FlyerTalk:

If every member of FlyerTalk.com (all 197,793 members) makes at least one $25 loan on their credit card of choice through our Kiva lending team we can generate:

$4,944,825 in loans
$98,896.50 in cashback rebates (@ 2%) or
at least 4,944,825 frequent flyers miles

Right now the biggest team on Kiva has loaned a measly $500,000.

The people on this thread are off to a great start, but this concept needs to spread to every member of the FT community. Everyone on FT could use 25 miles or a little cashback, so what is stopping FT from dominating the Kiva leaderboard? As our team motto says, "We want to fight global poverty while earning miles." Let's get earning.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Count me in.

I'm #58 and think this is a great cause. I'm going to forward this to my womens group!

Number of Team Members 57
Number of Loans 215
Number of Loans per Member 3.77
Total Amount Loaned $6,325.00

Last edited by weather; Jul 15, 2009 at 3:53 pm Reason: I'm really #58
Old Jul 15, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
Just made my 8th loan. It's so easy to re-loan and it's amazingly great to see every single person I've loaned to paying back, just so that I can pay it forward again to someone else!
Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:28 pm

I made a loan. I had checked out Prosper a while ago, but it kinda just seemed like either the person wouldn't pay it back, or you wouldn't earn much interest.

With Kiva I feel more like I'm helping someone who really needs it. I donated $25 to some lady who needs money for ear piercing machines.

How is everyone doing with currency fluctuations? The one I chose said I was guaranteed my $25 back, but other loans made it sound like if the exchange rate changes that I may not get my $25 back (which would just add a little hurdle to loaning out the next $25 but not stop it).
Old Jul 15, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Oh man, you have no idea how happy I am to have come across this thread! ^^

I've joined Kiva and the FlyerTalk team and have made my first loan.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 2:18 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
Originally Posted by gj83
How is everyone doing with currency fluctuations? The one I chose said I was guaranteed my $25 back, but other loans made it sound like if the exchange rate changes that I may not get my $25 back (which would just add a little hurdle to loaning out the next $25 but not stop it).
I've just made it kind of a personal goal that I log in once a month or so, and if I have credit from a repaid loan, I go ahead and lend it to someone else. Even if I have to add $10 or $15. I'm up to 9 loans now. Everyone is paying back, even 2 are ahead of schedule by paying more than what they were obligated to pay.

As for currency fluctuations, I mean, we're talking $25 loans here, not $25000 loans. The dollar just doesn't fluctuate wildly against worldwide currencies during the short term of these loans. At the maximum, the $ could increase by 10% over one year's time. So, you've lost $2.50. That's less than the cost of 1 latte at Starbucks. What you gained in good karma, decent humanity, and self-respect is certainly more valuable than $2.50.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:21 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi all,

I've pretty much got the same approach as TravellinHusker. I log in every month or so, and reloan the amount that has been repaid. I've got $200 in the system, with 12 active loans right now. In total, I've made 27 loans, 15 of which were repaid in full and on time (7 loans have counted since I joined the FT team).

I would not worry too much about currency fluctuations. Yes, some country could face tremendous devaluation over time, but the loans having short terms, it typically won't show. And if it does, I'll just add the difference. I'm doing this to help others, not to protect "my investment".

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
I'm doing this to help others, not to protect "my investment".
You said it, GenevaFlyer. Perfectly sums up my sentiments exactly.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Just joined and took on my first loan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.