Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

CAMBODIA: The Ponheary Ly Foundation

CAMBODIA: The Ponheary Ly Foundation

Old Dec 30, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Originally Posted by JDiver
People like Ponheary Ly and Lori Carlson are truly inspirational. Ponheary Ly herself is an amazing woman and what she has done - empowering the next generations of Cambodians to become educated and re-establish the brain infrastructure to rebuild Cambodia - is what will work in this recovering land, and Lori Carlson has provided a truly catalytic presence.

As the new year approaches, it reminds me it is time to support the Ponheary Ly Foundation and Cambodia's future once again.

I will match FlyerTalk members' contributions through 31 Jan 2012 up to a total of USD $500.

Post your contribution here, or PM me.

JDiver, that's really great of you to do. I hadn't heard of the Ponheary Ly Foundation before now, but I'm glad it was mentioned here. I've sent them $25... thanks for matching!

It really is true, education is truly key to empowerment and abolishing ignorance. What happened in Cambodia was a tragedy, and I am continually surprised about how little attention the Khmer Rouge genocide gained compared to other comparable massacres. Here is a video on what happened for those who do not know: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...64859238659487
And the award-winning documentary, also very distressing, on the subject: Thet Sambath - Voices from the Killing Fields.

Always makes me beyond sad seeing and thinking about what happened in Cambodia

Finally, a song by Pan Ron, one of Cambodia's best singers executed by the Khmer Rouge: Snaeha - Pan Ron

Regarding the Ponheary Ly Foundation, please let me know if there's more I can do to help out... my girlfriend lives on the border of Thailand with Cambodia (Aranyaprathet), so I hope to visit her this summer... I haven't been to Cambodia yet but I'd like to take a trip and there and take along anything useful at the same time if possible.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 31, 2011 at 10:36 pm Reason: extend challenge date
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Ponheary is coming to the US!

Efforts are underway to sponsor a trip to the US for Ponheary Ly.

We want to set up speaking engagements for Ponheary in 4-6 cities, with a fundraising goal in each city. The speaking engagements do not have to be in a large venue, sometimes small intimate events are equally good. Our hope is that a core group in each city would secure transportation and housing for that "leg". And of course, point us towards others in the community that might want help support our work. We have set our sights on an August-to-mid September 2012 time frame.We need to be back in Cambodia before school starts in October.

Our rough outline at the moment involves flying into California, going on to Austin, Washington DC and NYC.
LINK TO DETAILS
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:15 am

Is anyone in DC interested in participating?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Back To School News

Preparation for 2012-2013 school year.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

2012: An Awesome Year in Numbers
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Ponheary Ly Speaks at the New School
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Get Real

Lori Carlson, Ponheary Ly Foundation President, "gets real" on volunteering, in a new feature on the PLF Newsletter, "Get Real."

Get Real: What’s the Value of Volunteers?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:11 am
Original Poster

What You Made Possible in 2013

From the newsletter:

2013 was Ponheary Ly Foundation's biggest and most challenging year yet. You brought us through with flying colors. Thank you from all of us in Cambodia. We look forward to continuing to build education with you in 2014!

Click Here to see what you made possible in 2013.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:17 am
Original Poster

PLF Opens Siem Reap Boys’ House

It’s been a dream for years, and now PLF has opened a place for our high school boy students who are living away from their village (and their families) and who are literally homeless and without support. They come to the city from isolated villages whose schools stop at grade 9, in pursuit of a high school diploma. They are often in Siem Reap without adequate food or shelter or any extended family or friends. These challenges give them the least chance of finishing school but often an extraordinary level of grit. We are all feeling a very high level of satisfaction seeing them get a chance at something of an “ordinary life”.

Link to full article
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Get Real: A Sign of the Times

Worth reading if you are heading for Cambodia...

"Before there was the Ponheary Ly Foundation, there was only Ponheary Ly, a school teacher-turned tour guide who witnessed first hand the harmful impact of tourism on the children in her country and took it in her hands to try and do something about it. She did her best to steer children away from selling things at temples and get them back in school. She did her best to steer her tourists away from “helping children by buying things from them” and let them truly help by supporting the schools they should be attending and the teachers who teach in them."

LINK to full article
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Lori Carlson, the founder and a driving force behind the Ponheary Ly Foundation, has a cameo in this NBC News piece about Michelle Obama's visit to Siem Reap.
LINK TO VIDEO
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Just wanted to say thank you to FTers for alerting me to the Ponheary Ly Foundation. Not only did we have two wonderful days being guided by this remarkable woman, but we loved every minute of doling out backpacks to 99 children grades 4-6.
JDiver and SanDiego1K like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.