Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

FT team for solving cancer etc. with your computer's spare time / resources?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FT team for solving cancer etc. with your computer's spare time / resources?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2006, 1:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Lightbulb FT team for solving cancer etc. with your computer's spare time / resources?

FREE (and totally useless!) POINTS! OK, now that I have your attention... Maybe there's interest, maybe not... but so many FTers seem involved with forces to do good I thought I'd float this out:

United Devices, as "the Grid" at www.grid.org operates a distributed computer system to help solve things like cancer, human genome issues, etc. etc. in collaboration with organizations like IBM. My participation has included the Cancer Research Project sponsored by Intel and the University of Oxford to the Anthrax Research Project sponsored by Intel and Microsoft.

What did I do? Nothing! I "volunteered" my desktop computer, installing simple software that, when I am not utilizing the full capacity of my computer's resources diverts those resources to communal distributed computing (like SETI@home) to bring the power of parallel / distributed computing to bear on some of the nasty issues like cancer.

Of course, I have a fairly decent firewall, but my ADSL connection allows fulltime connection to the Intnernet. My computer is rated at 170% of the average computer (of 3 million working on the grid,) so it is considered fairly useful - and as of yesterday, my computer has given 2 years full time operation (equivalent to 3.4 years of the average GRID computer's full-time computing.) Cost? Pennies of electricity. Effort? None! What happens? My computer gets a bit of a problem to solve, when it is done it sends the results back to combine with others' and it gets some new work to do.

Participants can form and join teams - if anyone is interested, it would be easy to form a FlyerTalk team, comprised of thsoe who "volunteer" their computers. We earn points!!! Totally USELESS points you can not exhange or spend on anything, but hey, IT'S POINTS, and you can hoard them! We can "compete" with other teams (I am currently on the Vietnam Veterans team, but for FT, I'd perform the ultimate sacrifice and switch if there was an FT team...)

OK, there's probably some FTnerd or guru or fundi out there who can explain these things better than I can. But IS ANYONE INTERESTED? Thoroughly check it out at www.grid.org first, includng terms and conditions, and drop me a PM (or I'll check back here) to see if there's any / sufficient interest for a FT team.

Mods, if this is in violation of anything, send it to the Bermuda Triangle and give me a PM.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt
JDiver - You might want to check out this thread - sticky in the technology forum . http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350291

A few of us have been at it for quite some time
Old Apr 14, 2006, 2:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Red face Oops! But, this IS different...

Agh! I did a Search... several ways... honest! Thanks!

Of course, the Technology Forum folks are involved in another project, Folding @ Home, in collaboration with Stanford University, not the same project. (I'm not going to bail on UD / GRID after 2 years...) I will post there in the future and see - but it explains why no Search found "my" project.

I'll let this sit a bit and hope a Mod will delete, or I'll delete what I can. Requiescat in pacem, little thread.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:24 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
In view of this topic's greater relevance for our Travel Technology forum, and JDiver's invitation to close, I'll oblige. Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderator, CommunityBuzz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.