Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
In some ways, it may be a tougher sell with the FT community than elsewhere. I donate when I can, but going to Belize pretty much once a year meant I was usually ineligible (malaria risk). I've recently been informed that Belize is off that list, but a few days in Zambia + Zimbabwe ruled me out anyway. I'm sure many here are in a similar situation.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
In some ways, it may be a tougher sell with the FT community than elsewhere. I donate when I can, but going to Belize pretty much once a year meant I was usually ineligible (malaria risk). I've recently been informed that Belize is off that list, but a few days in Zambia + Zimbabwe ruled me out anyway. I'm sure many here are in a similar situation.
Now with the Zika virus problem, I'd not be surprised if we see new guidelines.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Because I lived in Germany from 1983 to 1987 I'm on the banned from the US blood donation list. Supposedly I was exposed to bovine spongiform encephalopathy (aka Mad Cow Disease) during that time. Even if they eventually lift that ban, and it's been in place for 20 +/- years, I still travel frequently enough to other "exotic" destinations to keep me banned.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Indeed. I'm going to be visiting Indonesia soon and may well get my timeout extended as a result.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Just this minute heard a news blurb about the American Red Cross temporarily banning donators who may have been exposed to the Zika virus.

Last edited by Randyk47; Feb 17, 2016 at 8:56 am
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:27 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Randyk47
Just this minute heard a news blurb about the American Red Cross temporarily banning donators who may have been exposed to the Zika virus.
Yes indeed. Saw the announcement at my local blood center. 28 day deferment for those who have been to Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, or South America.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:20 am

Got a letter from the Red Cross saying the minimum hemoglobin is going from 12.5 to 13.0 in May. In the past year, I've probably had at least half of my (platelet) donations in the 12.5-13.0 range. Because of that, even before I got this letter I had decided to donate every 3 weeks instead of the normal 2, as well as regularly taking an iron supplement.

Anyone else impacted by the change?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:34 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
I only donate plasma now because of the frequency in which I can do it (2 weeks @ 902ml), and because of the number of malaria warnings I have on my profile.

There is an exclusion time of 120 days in Australia if you've been to a Malaria zone, and wish to donate whole blood.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Another pint of whole blood down, and an excuse to bump the thread and remind others to donate.

Originally Posted by im.daniel
There is an exclusion time of 120 days in Australia if you've been to a Malaria zone, and wish to donate whole blood.
Hey, beats the US -- it's a full year deferral for a malaria zone.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:31 am

Yep did mine this afternoon !
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:06 am

I got my 14 gallon donor pin just over a week ago when I came in for my donation.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Originally Posted by JY1024
Yes indeed. Saw the announcement at my local blood center. 28 day deferment for those who have been to Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, or South America.
It's 28 days for men, but longer for women (six weeks I think?) who are in a relationship with a man who's been in a Zika area. At least it was at my donation center when I was there on Saturday to give platelets. I could donate but my wife was deferred
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:14 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I deleted a couple of posts here. Just a quick reminder that this forum is not for political or ethical debates. Please use our Omni forum for those. Thank you.

l'etoile
forum moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 3, 2016 at 10:13 am Reason: Adjust
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:58 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Donating blood as we speak

Pint #: 96
BP: 107/63
Pulse: 83
Blood Type: Red
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Its tough for those of us that end up in "exotic" places at least once a year. I'd love to donate blood but I also love to travel and end up somewhere on the malaria or zika blacklist pretty often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.