Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

Cancer, chemo, and cycling

Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly

We all know the saying that starts … the best-laid plans. Well, that’s been the last year for me.

I have not spent much time on FT recently, as the cruel Big “C” has come to visit. Last summer we tried some less-aggressive tactics to fight back, and it did not work. So, during the first week of November, I started chemo. No matter how prepared we think we are … no matter the assurances of the doctors … it ain’t no fun!

But now, chemo is behind me – my last treatment was March 22. I’m still worn out from 5 months of infusions, but this has not deterred me from waking up this morning and making a formidable commitment:
I am going to participate in NCAC-2016 … my 4th ride to raise money for HIV support services in Northern California. And I am asking for your support.
Read down on this page, and you can see some of my efforts starting in 2013. I also rode in 2014 and 2015. Now I am trying it again.

I’m starting my fundraising late. But more than that, I am starting my training very late. In only six weeks, my commitment is to ride a bike over 300 miles in just 3 days. This strengthens my fortitude … and I hope it proves to you … that participating in this ride is something far bigger than myself, from which I cannot turn away.

Four years ago, I bought a bike for the first time in 40 years, and after my first ride of only six miles, I staggered home and crawled up the stairs on my hands and knees. I surprised myself that within a matter of six months, I was completing 100-mile training rides.

Today, I am older. I weigh more (damned treatments--I gained 30 pounds in 5 months!). And I am not nearly as fit. Typically, we train for at least 6 months. But the reality is, I have been lethargic .... lying around, sleeping, napping ... or whatever else you call it when someone goes through chemo. But I am hoping to surprise myself again.

One of the most-overwhelming benefits of NCAC has been the friends I've met along the way--not just the riders and crew, without whom the hours and miles of training never would have been realized--but I also am in awe of the many friends who have donated in support of my rides.

So, here is my plea: please donate again. In the short time before we take off on May 12, my goal is to raise at least $10,000, as I have done in each of the last 3 years. Trust me when I say, every dollar counts – and NO donation is too large.

I've tried to make it easy for you this year -- no letters, no checks to mail, and you even can earn credit card bonuses! Please make your tax-deductible donation online by following this LINK.

From the bottom of my heart, and from the tips of my fingers with which I want to give you a big hug: THANKS to everyone who might support me.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 6, 2016 at 3:29 pm Reason: Add highlighting for visibility
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:38 pm
Community Director Emerita

You are a warrior. So proud of you for choosing to do the ride again this year. I've donated.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
You are a warrior. So proud of you for choosing to do the ride again this year. I've donated.
Thanks to our fearless leader -- I appreciate your support! ^
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Go, Kevin! Epitome of resilience and dedication to the cause.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you, sir, for donating again.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Thank you, sir, for donating again.
It's my pleasure, your pain.

Seriously, best of luck. Safe and productive ride!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
As Carol said, you're a warrior. I'm completely in awe of what you're doing so soon after the treatments ended.

Donation made!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You have no idea! According to my niece, my myriad side effects sound like I was pregnant. According to my sister, it sounds like I was menopausal.

Among other things, I never will question a woman about her hot flashes again!

Old May 1, 2016, 2:51 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Go Kevin go!
Old May 1, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you, kind sir! ^
Old May 21, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
It is not too late to support Kevin and help him make his goal. Although he has already cycled the race, I am sure he will still appreciate your support. I only "know" him thru FT, but he really embodies all that is good here on FT. I only donate a small amount, but every little bit will help, so lets get him over his goal.
Old May 23, 2016, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, it is true, the ride was last week. And overall, our small band of riders and crew raised over $250,000. That's a QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS!

Thanks for the support from FT, I personally raised over $10,000 this year ... and over 4 years, from the money I have raised and donated to other riders, my total equals $45,000.

:-::-::-:^^^:-::-::-:

But the piggy bank still is hungry, and we still are accepting donations.

I did not do as well as I hoped. I managed to ride about 200 miles on the 300-mile route. It just simply was not my year.

Thanks to the cancer (or not! ) I have decided to retire at the end of this year. I will spend more time with family on the East Coast. And thus, I will not be in town to train for the 2017 event.

However, having been a rider for 4 years, I have come to appreciate and adore the support offered by the crew. And that's what I am going to do next year ... wherever they need me, as SAG, servicing a rest stop, or on medical. And most importantly, I am going to be a cheerleader. More than once during any of our rides, I was at my emotional and physical end....convinced I could not ride another mile. But I cheerful smile, a big bear hug, a shoulder to cry on (not me!!!) or a bon-bon out of a hidden trove -- that can make all the difference in the world and more often than not, gave me the incentive to carry on. And in return for that support, I want to be able to give back to those who are riding next year. Then I can decide if I will ride or crew in 2018.

Thanks to all who donated ... and a special thanks to those who might want to throw some extra money into our pot!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.