2014 London Marathon - Children with Cancer UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 London Marathon - Children with Cancer UK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I hope it was a success! Good on you!!!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Smile

Originally Posted by kevinsac
I hope it was a success! Good on you!!!
Thanks!!

As an update...yes, I did finish! . It was very warm and I fought dehydration for much of the race. Nonetheless, my aim was completing my first marathon!!

I'm currently in transit (arrived at LAX a few hours ago) and will post pics when I get in a computer. Anyone following Floyd the Flamingo on fb can see some of the pics my sister posted yesterday!

Thanks again for your support!

robin
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Congratulations on finishing! That's a very big deal. I saw a t-shirt the other day that said:

Even he who finishes last

is still ahead of those who don't finish at all

Who are still ahead of those who never start
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Thanks for all the pics you posted. But you know what? Even a fat old man like me can run a marathon if I stop every 2 blocks to take a picture. That's easy. (Yes...I know these pics are pre-race!)

Joking aside ... congrats. Although I have seen many of the sites highlighted in your pictorial, I've never thought of seeing them all within a matter of a few hours, and from the perspective of a runner.

Job well done! ^

Last edited by kevinsac; Apr 16, 2014 at 5:51 pm
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kevinsac
Thanks for all the pics you posted. But you know what? Even a fat old man like me can run a marathon if I stop every 2 blocks to take a picture. That's easy.

Joking aside ... congrats. Although I have seen many of the sites highlighted in your pictorial, I've never thought of seeing them all within a matter of a few hours, and from the perspective of a runner.

Job well done! ^
The pics thus far we're not from the race. I did snap a shot at each mile marker other than #26 because, at that point, I wanted to be done and was determined to cross the finish! My sister also got pics just past Mile 6 at the Cutty Sark and Mile 15.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Congratulations and thanks for the photos.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2014 London Marathon

Hi All!

Okay, I am finally in front of a normal computer!

Pics!

In Greenwich by the Thames before heading to the start:

Heading to the corrals - I willfully chose to stay toward the back at first since some like to elbow, push, etc. It's 26.2 miles, I was not in a hurry!

There were all sorts of costumes - Big Bird, rhinos, Minions, hedgehogs, Sonic the Hedgehog

Between 6 and 7 miles at the Cutty Sark:

Tower Bridge remains my favorite London landmark!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Race Day Photos #2

Half way!

My sister and Floyd the Flamingo just past mile 15 as I headed towards the Isle of Dogs:

Nearly there!

The end!!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:31 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
You're a Gold Medalist!
Old May 12, 2014, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Well done
Old May 13, 2014, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi everyone!

Wow!! It's been a MONTH!?!? ALREADY!?! So, how has the last month gone??

- As some fellow FTers are aware, on April 14 I flew LHR LAX; my sister was returning home and I had a stopover on my way to the Japan DO. Upon landing at LAX, I learned I was successful in the Chicago Marathon ballot. Yes, as I was stiff from a long flight I read my email with GLEE! Ha!

It is on October 12th - Columbus Day weekend. If any FTers ate around, it'd be great to meet up! So much for thinking I'd have to figure out what to do with the time "gained" from not running 1-2 or more hours per week!

- Following a lot of walking in Japan, which was really good for keeping sore/stiff muscles at a minimum, I had a couple of mellow weeks. I've run a 10k (1h11m...not the slowest nor a PB) and had a few good training runs. My semi annual physical fitness test for the Navy is this week...not sure a mile will seem like much!!

- I'm booked in for a half in Dublin the first weekend in August and may do a Loch Ness 10k before Chicago.

I received two emails from Children with Cancer today. One was inviting me to apply for their 2015 team. More importantly, the other stated OVER £1.5 million was raised by this years team!!! WOW!!

I'm very glad so many of you shared in this journey and supported the cause!

Thanks again everyone for your well wishes and support!!!

robin
Old May 23, 2014, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman
Hi everyone!

Wow!! It's been a MONTH!?!? ALREADY!?! So, how has the last month gone??

- As some fellow FTers are aware, on April 14 I flew LHR LAX; my sister was returning home and I had a stopover on my way to the Japan DO. Upon landing at LAX, I learned I was successful in the Chicago Marathon ballot. Yes, as I was stiff from a long flight I read my email with GLEE! Ha!

It is on October 12th - Columbus Day weekend. If any FTers ate around, it'd be great to meet up! So much for thinking I'd have to figure out what to do with the time "gained" from not running 1-2 or more hours per week!

- Following a lot of walking in Japan, which was really good for keeping sore/stiff muscles at a minimum, I had a couple of mellow weeks. I've run a 10k (1h11m...not the slowest nor a PB) and had a few good training runs. My semi annual physical fitness test for the Navy is this week...not sure a mile will seem like much!!

- I'm booked in for a half in Dublin the first weekend in August and may do a Loch Ness 10k before Chicago.

I received two emails from Children with Cancer today. One was inviting me to apply for their 2015 team. More importantly, the other stated OVER £1.5 million was raised by this years team!!! WOW!!

I'm very glad so many of you shared in this journey and supported the cause!

Thanks again everyone for your well wishes and support!!!

robin
robin, your experience is so inspiring! best of luck to you in Chicago!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Smile Looking for Floyd?

Hi Everyone!

Some of you may have followed this thread from the beginning while others just found it from today's TalkMail. I hadn't scanned through this for over a month when I updated the photos; it reall makes me happy to look back at the pics AND, more importantly, the well wishes from FTers.

If you're looking for more on Floyd the Flamingo, see posts in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...cots-here.html or, of course, facebook if you use fb.

This week marks the beginning of my Chicago Marathon training! While I was selected through the lottery system (yay!), and had the option to do nothing, my goal is to see how many people are willing to donate 1GBP/$1.67 to Children with Cancer UK - my goal is £500.00. LINK

Training run #1 for Chicago:

YES, it was really warm enough (and sunny!) in England ...and I was able to wear a tank top (vest as the Brits call it) for my run.

Thanks again everyone for your support!!

robin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.