Search

donating backpacks to schools

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
donating backpacks to schools

At the risk of being way off topic, I'm posting this info. Moderator please feel free to move it.

Each year at this time my outfit gathers up donated school supplies that are delivered to a grade school in a very poor area. Those of us who attend a lot of meetings and get 'free' backpacks, tote bags, lap top bags etc often put the swag into the donation boxes.

However this year the school informed us about a New Rule that requires all bags carried by students be either clear plastic or mesh. Entirely see through bags. This includes lunch bags and even purses.

If you are planning similar donations for the school year, please check to see what the rules are for the students and for the teachers.

thank you!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And a thought if your school won't accept regular backpacks - homeless shelters often will.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Domestic violence shelters would also probably accept those types of donations.

I generally buy some of the deals (pens, pencils, crayons, etc.) that the office supply stores offer for back to school and then donate those.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:19 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emma69
And a thought if your school won't accept regular backpacks - homeless shelters often will.
and they will gladly accept hotel toiletries as well@:-)
Old Aug 6, 2013, 1:28 pm
Community Director Emerita

Wow, interesting that the backpacks must be clear. That sounds like department stores who require their clerks to carry clear purses to cut down on shoplifting. I suppose for schools it's meant to cut down on carrying weapons. It's sad to think in those terms.

Our church supports a program in intercity Los Angeles that provides after school activities and study halls for kids. This year, our church committed to providing supplies for 250 of the 2200 backpacks this charity sought to fill. My husband and I decided to buy supplies for 8 backpacks. Contents are roughly $25 each. We did that rather than donating because we could use our Chase Ink card at 5x points per dollar at Staples. I have to laugh at myself as I write that. It makes my motivation suspect! But hey, whatever motivates one to give is a good thing in my book. Staples had a back to school sale the week we were doing this, with boxes of crayons and many more things at $.25 each, limit of 2. We went twice, so could buy 4 items per visit, thus the 8 backpacks. It was a lot of fun scooting around the store and more satisfying that simply giving money. We felt personally vested, and hope that such a little effort is really helpful in the lives of those who can't afford these basic supplies.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Good idea about donating regular backpacks and etc to shelters. Will do that.

The clear/mesh backpacks are required now at some schools in some school systems for security reasons including the fact that schools are trying to get away from having 'colors' on anything that might be assumed to be gang colors!

The clear backpacks don't last as long as traditional but the mesh ones apparently are quite sturdy.

Some of us will be donating money to a civic group that buys school supplies in large quantities to fill the backpacks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.