2013 Dahl Fund--$6K goal met; 2 donors won a ride on a Stinston Tri-Motor

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund

"In 2002, the Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund was established to provide two deserving aviation students a scholarship grant in Jason’s name. Originally available to students at Dahl’s Alma Mater, San Jose State University and Metro State University in Denver where Dahl lived, the program has since been expanded to NATIONAL status as an IRS recognized 501(c)3 non-profit program supported through corporate and individual donations alike."

"Thank You For Your Support! Join us in helping reach our goals! All proceeds go to support our next generation Captains! Your generosity as already helped us award 23 scholarships to date! With your continued help we have an ambitious goal to offer the scholarship nationwide securing over $100,000 in donations."

The Fund has been a project of special interest to Flyertalkers, as so many of us are frequent flyers.
Print Wikipost

2013 Dahl Fund--$6K goal met; 2 donors won a ride on a Stinston Tri-Motor

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: AAEP, other airs, hotels, ccs
Smile Education's First, Ride's Secondary

How incredible was that experience last year seeing the fall colors over St. Louis from John Lohmar's WWII trainer! The ride was a wonderful bonus for doing what I would do anyhow, making a contribution to a worthwhile scholarship fund.
Cap't Denny worked hard to track me down last year, and John Lohmar worked hard to find compatible dates for me and the prior year's winner to reap the benefits. At one point I even suggested awarding the ride to someone else; however, they persevered, and I was able to take part and enjoy the ride. The experience was so fun, I sent another contribution afterwards!
I've just contributed again to this year's scholarship fund. My parents taught me to value education at any level, and I've been able to support it in many ways as an adult. I know many of you in FT feel the same, and no matter how much we'd all love that ride, we won't begrudge others riding (well, maybe a little), especially because our gifts will help provide a future for others.
Will those who have delayed contributing please use this moment to do so; and those who have thought, "Maybe next year," imagine that sooner is always better, and a couple of chances for the flights equal a couple of Starbucks. I've remembered this all year, and only had one airport coffee in the 12 months! I'm not saying how many cups, but I think I've got a good chance, too!
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:03 am

Activity is picking up. We just reached $4175 and closing in on the $6000 goal to pick a second winner+guest to ride in the Stinson Tri Motor on June 1st.

I asked some of this years scholarship winners to join Flyer Talk and to post why they have a desire to fly and how the Capt Jason Dahl Scholarship helps them reach their dream.

Capt Denny

Capt Denny
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:52 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Capt Denny
Activity is picking up. We just reached $4175 and closing in on the $6000 goal to pick a second winner+guest to ride in the Stinson Tri Motor on June 1st.

I asked some of this years scholarship winners to join Flyer Talk and to post why they have a desire to fly and how the Capt Jason Dahl Scholarship helps them reach their dream.

Capt Denny

Capt Denny
That's fantastic! Thanks for keeping us updated.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL UA (.5MM)

Capt Denny
Keep it rolling everyone! As I said before, every little bit adds up, so please don't hesitate to chip in what you can.

Like today, perhaps?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:16 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Brett France and I am a junior in the Professional Flight Program at Purdue University. This is my first time on Flyertalk and I am amazed about everything on this site. I am a recipient for the 2013 Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship and I cannot thank you all for what you do to make this scholarship what it is today. Back when I started my flight training, flying was nothing more than a hobby. Soon later, this was something I wanted to pursue as a career, and to this day I cannot see myself doing anything other than flying. The Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship is a representation of being the best in the aviation industry. This Scholarship is more than just a way to offset flight cost, it honors the life of Captain Jason Dahl and what he stood for. Again, thank you very much for what you all do, and I am excited to be part of this great aviation community.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 1:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Dovster

Unfortunately, this does mean that I will not be able get a ticket to send Cholula up in that plane.
Originally Posted by BrettFrance
I am a junior in the Professional Flight Program at Purdue University.
The above-mentioned Cholula is a Purdue graduate, but despite that you are very welcome on FlyerTalk.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by Dovster
Okay, I bought 10 tickets but there is no way I am going to get my rear end into AA's oldest surviving plane and then up into the air.

(It doesn't matter anyhow as apparently I will not be eligible for the lottery because I didn't see the notice that "It is important that you note your donation is for the FlyerTalk raffle in order to participate. Use the “More Info: Send a Note to Seller” link on the final page or "Add Special Instructions to Recipient" and note: “FlyerTalk raffle.”"

Unfortunately, this does mean that I will not be able get a ticket to send Cholula up in that plane.
I'll happily take your ticket
I know you 'love' me this much...

Originally Posted by BrettFrance
Hello everyone, my name is Brett France and I am a junior in the Professional Flight Program at Purdue University. This is my first time on Flyertalk and I am amazed about everything on this site. I am a recipient for the 2013 Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship and I cannot thank you all for what you do to make this scholarship what it is today. Back when I started my flight training, flying was nothing more than a hobby. Soon later, this was something I wanted to pursue as a career, and to this day I cannot see myself doing anything other than flying. The Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship is a representation of being the best in the aviation industry. This Scholarship is more than just a way to offset flight cost, it honors the life of Captain Jason Dahl and what he stood for. Again, thank you very much for what you all do, and I am excited to be part of this great aviation community.
Hello BrettFrance, and welcome to flyertalk! please stay, we don't bite.

We are very happy to support the scholarship and we look forward to hearing more about your flight experience. Which part of the training you like best? what plane is your dream one? and of course- airbus or Boeing? (be careful here...)
Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:23 pm

Bonus

As a bonus to the ride there will be a reporter from Flying Magazine going along with the winners to do a story. Capt. Les Abend has a monthly feature in Flying Magazine. It will be very nostolgic for him stepping from a sophisticated Boeing 777 into a steam powered 1929 Stinson Tri-Motor.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:18 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
As a bonus to the ride there will be a reporter from Flying Magazine going along with the winners to do a story. Capt. Les Abend has a monthly feature in Flying Magazine. It will be very nostolgic for him stepping from a sophisticated Boeing 777 into a steam powered 1929 Stinson Tri-Motor.
That's great! Does he fly the 777 for UA?
Old May 1, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by pshuang
I'm in for 40 chances. The near miss may break my heart, though, when I win. By near miss, I mean that coincidentally I will be in Minneapolis May 25-27, but I think I will have to be in Chicago for work on June 1. I'll just have to think up some wonderful way of deciding to whom I should give away my seats....
It would be a hard decision, but I can help you out...
Old May 3, 2013, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339
That's great! Does he fly the 777 for UA?
This is the cool thing. He flys for American and will get a chance to fly one of Americans first aircraft.

We are slowly reaching our goal of $6000 for a second winner. We are at $4300.

Capt Denny
Old May 5, 2013, 5:05 pm

And I met First Officer Ibrahim (who knows you well :-) ) on a LAX-LAS flight on Thursday night...he used to do A319/320 before. He knew about you and the work for the Dahl Scholarship, and was happy to see the trimotor pictures.

Glad to see we are reaching the $6000 goal. Looking forward to win again, or do my best. But I already won by supporting the students' track to aviation. Keep the good work!
Old May 5, 2013, 7:01 pm

Thank you for the kind words DLroads. By far the most exciting flight training was this semester. Purdue bought a Embraer Phenom 100 last year and flight students are able to train in the jet. I did not think when I first got accepted to Purdue that I would be to able to fly a jet; it certainly beats the noise of a piston powered engine and the smell too. I would have to say my dream plane is the 777. The shear size of those engines on that plane always amazes me. It would be very neat to tell someone I am flying an airplane that has engines which produce 94,000 lbs each. I am not sure Boeing or Airbus to be honest. Of course each aircraft has their pros and cons and everyone has their opinion on which manufacturer is better. For me, I need to wait to fly at least one of them to be able to decide, but for right now its still piston powered aircraft in Cirrus SR 20's for me!
Old May 6, 2013, 6:23 am

Slow Weekend

It was a slow weekend for donations but that is pretty normal since Flyer Talkers are in the sky Friday thru Sunday. We are in our last week of the raffle and are at $4350.

Capt Denny
Old May 7, 2013, 11:35 am

Challenge from shcooper1

Just received an email from shcooper1 and he will match the $1625 we need to get to $6000. So if we reach $6000 we are guaranteed $7625.

Thank you all for your support.

Capt Denny

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.