Reload this Page >

GIVE FOR BOSTON - official charity is One Fund Boston; all ideas welcome

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino have announced an authorised charity has been established to help victims of the Boston Marathon / Patriot Day terror bombing April 15, 2013. The charity, The One Fund Boston, will serve as a clearinghouse for charitable activities related to the bombing, and is administered by attorney Kenneth Feinberg, who also coordinated the victims fund for 9/11 Sep 2001 Victim Compensation Fun, as well as funds assisting victims of the Aurora, Colorado, and Virginia Tech shootings, and the 2010 BP Gulf Coast oil spill.
The One Fund Boston
site: http://onefundboston.org
inquiries to: [email protected]
To send a check by mail:
One Fund Boston, Inc.
800 Boylston Street #990009
Boston, MA 02199
Be aware over 100 bogus charities have registered using terms like "Boston Marathon" - The One Fund Boston is the only approved charity for the victims of 4/14 and is the one most properly positioned to do so.

NOTE: Member JDiver is offering a challenge and will match dollar for dollar, to $1,000, every dollar contributed by FT members. See Post #18 for details.
Print Wikipost

GIVE FOR BOSTON - official charity is One Fund Boston; all ideas welcome

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

'Events in Boston-donate miles?'

I'm not sure if this has been done before, but have we as a group ever contacted airlines reward reps. in order to see if they would match mileage donations towards aiding family members travel to their families if they can not afford it themselves? A few thousand here and there could add up to help some families in this time of tragedy. Thoughts?

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 19, 2013 at 1:45 pm Reason: restore original post title
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:47 pm

good idea. i am in
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I have some DL and UA miles sitting around doing nothing.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Moving to FT Cares!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: Yes.
Just donated my stash of B6 points.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:52 am

I'm in too with DL - let me know about the Process
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Please don't turn this thread into a candidate for OMNI/PR.

There are a lot of charities and fundraising efforts with which others do not agree or that others think are not worthwhile. However, I've found that if you disagree or think it not the best option, it is best to simply ignore it and support those with which you do agree.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:42 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Thank you kipper for saying what needed to be said here. I removed some posts that were turning this into a political debate/discussion. Please stick to the op's question.

l'etoile
sr. moderator
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
I have some American miles. Does anyone have links for places where we can donate?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:58 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
I don't have any airline miles, but I do have Hilton points that are just sitting there...
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Contributive, positive thoughts and offerings regarding how this can be achieved are welcome. Disruptive comments will continue to be summarily deleted. Ignoring warnings and discussing specific moderator actions are liable to incur disciplinary actions as stated clearly in the TOS here.

JDiver
senior moderator
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
To start with, American Airlines...

At this time, American Airlines seems only to have provisions for two programs for miles donation, Miles for Kids in Need (provides free transportation to seriously ill children and families), and Operation Hero Miles (travel for families of American military men and women who are being treated for injury at military hospitals due to their service in Iraq or Afghanistan).

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/american-air...inc-aadvantage

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re.../heroMiles.jsp

Miles contributions are not tax-deductible in the USA (as they are not taxed when earned by travel and purchase activities).

If you know of people in the Boston area who need transport (or who need transport to the Boston area) because they were affected by the terror bombings, you can still use your miles and points to secure award stays and travel for them.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
AS has a program to gift miles to charities, but I don't know if they have set anything up for something like this. If they do, I have some miles to donate.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Donating Miles or Points through the Airlines affiliated and set up programs is an utter waste, you would have a bigger impact donating 50$ directly instead of 10,000 miles.

Related to this topic, can someone elaborate what would be the purpose of donating points (or anything for that matter) related to the events in Boston? This isn't a natural disaster with thousands of people effected and being homeless. A few people died, some more got injured. That's tragic but I fail to see what help miles or any donations can provide in this situation.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
People may opt to donate points or miles so that loved ones may travel to Boston, to see their loved ones that are injured and so they have a place to stay while in Boston.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't have the money to drop on last-minute flights and hotel rooms for an indefinite amount of time.

Also, many of the injured will likely need long-term rehab, some of which may or may not be able to be completed at home, so many may need to stay in Boston.

Being injured is never fun--being injured in something like this, being far from home, and not having your loved ones able to stay with you would really be horrible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.