Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

Shanti Bhavan Children's Project, India - Please Help

Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, MileagePlus Silver & Others.

Hey guys,

Most of you know me just around the boards. I never did a formal introduction, but work-wise, I'm in non-profit and work for the Shanti Bhavan Children's Project: www.shantibhavanonline.org

And that's why I am posting now. I need your help.

We're competing for the Chase Community Giving grant. It's 5 million split between the top 196 charities to garner votes. I think thousands are competing, so placing is tough, but as of this posting, we're holding in the top 196 and if we manage to stay there, we get $10,000. If we can break into the top 99, we get $20,000.

That money could go a long way for our kids. They come primarily from the Dalit, or Untouchable caste, and are from families that make less than $1 a day. Many are orphans or come from single-mother households. They have had few options or opportunities to uplift themselves. That's where we come in: Shanti Bhavan is a full-fledged boarding school that takes in kids from the age of 4 until they graduate from high-school...and then pays for their entire undergraduate degree. We are breaking the cycle of poverty in a single generation.

So I am asking for a little help. I just need two things:

1) Please vote for Shanti Bhavan Children's Project here: https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommu...ein/26-4188445
2) Please get the word out and ask people to vote for us via FB, Twitter, or any other social media you might have.

It'd be amazing if the FTers could help us win this thing!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Shanti Bhavan C. P. is a suitable charity for FT

Shanti Bhavan Childrens' Project operates a nonsectarian home and school for extremely disadvantaged children in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, southern India. Shanti Bhavan means "Haven of Peace" in Hindi.

We provide a holistic, high quality focused education to children on a beautiful boarding school campus. For these communities, Shanti Bhavan is a beacon of hope that shines a path of opportunity for their children. It is an oasis built within the confines of crushing poverty supported by a devoted administration and global network of volunteers. Our children see that a better world isn’t just an idea but a real possibility.
Shanti Bhavan educates the most socially and economically disadvantaged children of rural India. We believe that children of poverty are no different than more fortunate children and, if given access to quality education, they will realize their full potential. Our children come from meager backgrounds, primarily of the ‘untouchable’ – Dalit – caste. There are nearly 300 million people who are in the lowest level of caste system of India. Without the intervention of an education, these children are destined to a future of abuse, social segregation and discrimination.
Contacts:
Shanti Bhavan Children’s Fund
Shanti Bhavan Administrative Office
No. 401, 4E cross,
2nd Block, HRBR Layout, Kalyananagar
Bangalore / Bengaluru, Karnataka 560 043, India

Shanti Bhavan Children’s Project
121 Hawkins Place
PMB, 192
Boonton, NJ 07005, USA

Website link

Shanti Bhavan is a 501(c) (3) non-profit public charity in the U.S. It is registered in India under the Indian Trust Act, and has 80-G tax exemption status. Your contribution is exempt from income tax as per the respective tax laws. Click here to access the 501(c) (3) approval document.
EIN # 11-3378208 (USA IRS - link to PDF of 2010 return).

Ways to help (donations, sponsor a child, scholarships, material items, etc.) link

FAQ (downloadable PDF)

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 17, 2012 at 12:44 pm Reason: add

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.